PDA

View Full Version : DXB & the Missus

Hahn
3rd Sep 2003, 18:55
Hello everybody,

I īm heading for DXB in a couple of days for the EK interview, bringing my wife with me. Q: where can I send her to during theses days to give her a good impression of DXB??? I want her to get a descent picture of what she might expect in the future.

Many Thanks & happy landings

ferrydude
3rd Sep 2003, 20:50
Send her to the big mall of course, and for God's sake don't kiss her in public!

Flying Boat
3rd Sep 2003, 22:14
YEP

Shopping, just make sure you have a low limit on your card.

All that Gold can go to a girl's head.

Have a good trip to the best spot in the Middle East.

FB:ok:

Willie Everlearn
4th Sep 2003, 04:41
I'd recommend you both find a cab driver at your hotel. (See the Conseirge) Have him get you a driver who will drive you all over the place. Take your video Camera or Digital camera and make sure you tell him when and where to stop. As well as what you'd like to see. Especially the villas in Jumeria. This will take at least half to three quarters of your day AND cost around 60 to 100 dirhams.
The tour will include Wafi Mall, no sweat. Take a walk through it if you like. Shop when you get the job. You'll have the time.
I recommend you and the missus take a walk through Spinneys or Choithrams and write down the price of some 'groceries' you're likely to buy. Total it up and convert it to CDN dollars. This will give you an idea of the cost of living.
Be sure to ask the driver what a modest car costs to maximize the interest free EK car loan. Convert that to CDN as well for a taste of the cost, again.
Great place to live the Emirates. Good luck and enjoy.

Too much shopping on the interview trip will land you in hot water with CCRA upon your return to ADANAC.:{

:ok:

Hahn
5th Sep 2003, 00:13
Thanks guys, your replys are appreciated!

White Knight
5th Sep 2003, 13:15
Converting costs into CDN $ is not going to show you what the cost of living is here - we don't get paid in CDN $ !!! You have to look at it as a proportion of your salary that you'd get here.
Good luck in your interview:ok: :ok:

Reverend Doctor Doug
5th Sep 2003, 14:11
Hahn,
Unless things have changed, you will both be taken on a tour of DXB on the first day of the interviews, along with the other guys you are interviewing with. Your wife is welcome to come along.

On this tour you will see a lot of DXB, but most of it goes by in a bit of a blur because a lot is covered on the tour. You should get to see a villa and an apartment, some schools, maybe a car dealer etc. You will be able to ask questions and take notes on where your wife might like to revisit.

Sure take a look at the shopping malls, but remember that on an F/O's salary you probably won't shop there too much, except for the Carrefour, which is good value. Make sure she sees Satwa (the old part) and Karama. This is where the cheapest products are found (some pretty crap ones as well) and where a lot of the wives go to buy cheap clothes, shoes, handbags etc.

It is quite hot at the moment and it will give her a reasonable impression of what it can be like trudging around in the heat to find the particular material required to make rugrats costume in the school play. (don't laugh, it happens).

Be sure to send her to the "More" cafe (Popular EK hangout) in Garhoud as well. That will give some balance to the crap she sees in Satwa and Karama. If she has time, she could visit the spice souk and the gold souk (as if she wasn't going there anyway!) as well. They are part of old Dubai, and a real insight into that side of life in dubai.

If you have any contacts here, get their wives to take your missus for a guided tour. That is the only way you can get a real impression. Be aware however that some (not all) people tend to highlight the good bits and steer away from the less attractive aspects in order to rationalise why they are here.

Lastly, have a good think about what she is going to do over here to keep herself busy. Then when you arrive, find out if that is achievable. The last thing you want is a bored wife.

Good Luck

Cop U Later

The Rev

Hahn
6th Sep 2003, 02:49
Very true Rev. SHE has to be happy in DXB. This is the very first point on the check-list. Thanks for your reply.
MH