PDA

View Full Version : 2 Years On - how time flies

Australia2
3rd Sep 2003, 12:12
As this time of the year approaches again can't help but think back to the demise of a Great Airline ( although in the words of one genius "A poor business")
Have been lucky enough to secure a job in OZ, and have moved on with life after a slow start. Many good memories gained along the way, miss many of the people.
Keen to hear thoughts from others, wherever you maybe, flying (hopefully) what you will on how things have turned out 2 years on.
Best Wishes

kellykelpie
3rd Sep 2003, 12:21
I miss the people at Ansett - we had a great group of people.
I was also lucky enough to get a job in Oz too.

Australia2
3rd Sep 2003, 12:27
Kelpy,

Well done, imagine they are very hard to come by over there, although the life-style would make the effort worthwhile !!
RPT, Corporate, G.A ?

kellykelpie
3rd Sep 2003, 17:55
Now working with the big red rat. S/O on the 744. Miss the flying we use to do with Ansett, but International is exciting and was always my goal with Ansett. Now that I've experienced it I would happily go back to domestic (for a window seat).

permFO
4th Sep 2003, 11:48
Exactly my sentiments KK. As someone said to me international is all about the destination and domestic is all about the flying and I would much prefer to do the flying.

crocodile redundee
4th Sep 2003, 18:56
I was fortunate enough to see the writing on the wall 18 months before the end. Twas sad to lose the friendships etc but drawing the line down the page quickly showed me what little positives there were staying put. I will never work in aviation again but have great memories of the folk who made the airline & sadly many bad memories if the management morons who wrecked it........

shaablamm
4th Sep 2003, 19:18
What are you doing now Croc? Just interested...

FatEric
5th Sep 2003, 13:31
I managed to get a job with one of Asia's finest. Hah.

Flight operations - 1 tenth that of my former employer.

Maintainance - very good.

Customer service - second to none.

pay - about the same as AN.

Rostering - crap.

Days off - buggah all.

Management - I dont think we have any.

Looking to move on now - I think Burger King need burger flippers

Ahhh. The good old days.

Leftseat 1
5th Sep 2003, 14:06
Have also left the wonderful world of aviation after many years.
Now making lots in another industry.
Working harder.
Miss the Flying
Don't miss the BOC or the BS.
Overall lifestyle is better,however when a widebody is overhead the good memories flood back.

Australia2
6th Sep 2003, 09:57
Eric,

Similar management to AN then !

Pete Conrad
8th Sep 2003, 13:19
Twas a great airline to work for, especially in the regional arm. Lets hope all the great employees that were part of the AN group find happiness elsewhere.

Buster Hyman
8th Sep 2003, 15:06
After some regrettable stints throwing boxes & checking ferals' tickets on the trains, I ended up doing more loadsheets for the EU's finest all freighter airline.

Have now packed that in & am totally out of the industry, except for the occasional business trip on the rat...yep, I'm SLF now!!!!:(

Once you've had AVGAS in your veins, you're hooked. I'll always miss it.:sad:

jupiter2
10th Sep 2003, 20:55
After the collapse, I was spent time consulting for QF at head office.

After that I had a short-lived flying experience with their regional airline.

Am now quite happy working for an independant airservices support company doing anything from check-in, baggage and towing aircraft. Ironically, it's all done in and around T2 (or as it should be known) the Reginald Ansett Terminal.

Although it's not with an airline as such, at least I can say I'm providing the same natural, human, sincere and genuine customer care and have the same high level of ownership in my company as I did with Ansett. I work with a great hard-working team that dont have a need to berate their employers with any given excuse.

It's been hard trying to find the same sense of excitement I had in another job and have often thought that I shouldn't try doing so anymore.

Is that wrong of me to do that do you think?

When sitting at check-in, surrounded by "a sea of red", I watch and remind myself of less chaotic times.

For all that occurred towards the end, Ansett had class.

You want to know why I know that?

It's because everyday, I'll have a customer tell me their thoughts and fond memories of the airline and it's people.

.....thanks guys!