PDA

View Full Version : Kenyan Cpl Renewal

kickdtires
3rd Sep 2003, 10:47
Hello Fellow Aviators,

I was wondering if anybody here can tell me how to go about getting my Kenyan CPL licence renewed. I haven't renewed it since 1998. I was planning on visiting Kenya for a couple of weeks and was wondering if this will be enough time to get it renewed.
What is required?, I believe 6 TO's and Landings in the last 90 days etc etc.. anything else?? Thanks in advance....

BAKELA
3rd Sep 2003, 17:04
Kickdtires,

Kunjani bru and welcome to Proone. I'm sure one of the boffins will give you the gaf but in SA I think it works as follows. If anything has been timex for in excess of 24 months you have to do the whole rickmaroll - exams, flight tests the works. That's on the assumption that your licence has been expired for longer than 24 months and not only certain portions of it, e.g. IF, IR or Comm. I'm sure this does not help you much but I just felt like chirping.

Shala Gashle.
Bakela

juba
4th Sep 2003, 08:27
kickdtires

If I were you I would leave it - unless you really want to fly there then forget it - the whole system has changed dramatically and they have not really caught up with themselves lately. Whatever the renewal says on paper will unlikely be the actual case - DCA now the CAA is backlogged and in real trouble - sorry to sound so negative but ask the guys who have just gone through it and they will tell you.
If you still really want to the best person to call is Gladyis, who is in charge of licencing at the CAA - dont have her number handy.
Goodluck
If I were you I would just go to kenya to enjoy the country and not get lost and frustrated at the CAA.
Cheers

kickdtires
4th Sep 2003, 11:50
Thanks BAKELA and juba
here is the predicament I am in. I am from Kenya and currently live in Canada. As we all know the Aviation industry in North America has been hit hard, all over the world for that matter. I now find myself in a position with no progressive future at the moment. The industry out here is on the down slope. So I am contemplating returning to the homeland (Kenya) to finally settle for good. To be honest, I have had it with the current state of the industry in North America which inturn has affected my career by bringing it to a stand still. I now feel I should have stayed in Kenya and worked my way up in due time. I use to be an instructor in the States where I trained many Kenyans who have now made it to KQ. They find their careers on the upswing, mine on the other hand is on a standstill. I have experience on the Dash 7, so here I am thinking hard about going back. Air Kenya has Dash 7's but then again, are they hiring? I have sent a couple of resumes and tried to contact Mr. Dino Bisletti of Air Kenya, but that proved to no avail so far.
Getting my Kenyan CPL renewed is the objective and then try to find a job right away. But I have only 2 weeks to try to get all this done. So how many of you think I can get much accomplished in Kenya in a short period of time, especially that now they are revamping the old DCA to the new CAA. Does anybody have the contact info for Gladyis at DCA??. Maybe she might be able to offer a realistic time frame to get something done.
The other issue would be, Are they any jobs in Kenya right now, and if they are, where?..
Question and more questions is all I have, so If anybody can help, I shall appreciate it. Maybe I will be chatting about this post over a pint of tusker with one of you when I finally make the much needed move... KQ would be my dream fulfilled. I just don't know if this trip would do me any good at the moment.. any suggestions?......

Rat Catcher
4th Sep 2003, 15:31
Being a Kenyan, KQ is definately an option! A valid licence and instrument rating is of course required..
The industry is as depressed here as anywhere else at the moment :( , the D-7 people won't have much interest to be used as a stepping stone:suspect:
All the best:ok: