PDA

View Full Version : Belfast City Runway

BCA03
2nd Sep 2003, 23:47
I now believe that things are underway at the city airport, upgrading the runway.

I was wanting to know if anyone could comment on exactly what is be upgraded at the airport. I am aware that the runaway is being resurfaced, but is there going to be an upgrade elsewhere ie. Is there going to be an ILS for runway 04, an extenstion to the existing runway, or a parallel taxiway to the existing runway.

It would be great to see this airport develop more, as i see that there could be great potential in expanding with maybe a low cost carrier in the new year.......

ALLMCC
3rd Sep 2003, 00:13
Yes you are correct - work has commenced mainly between 2230 and 0600 hrs initially on repair work to existing surface before new surfaces are laid on top - have not heard much else - apparently parallel taxiway at 22 end may be a problem due to possible subsidence.

Airport already has Flybe as a low cost carrier - there have been unconfirmed rumours that BmiBaby may be considering transferring from Aldergrove in the future - would be good to see!

There is also a ludicrous ceiling on passenger nos annually of I believe £2m no doubt at the behest of BFS! - hopefully common sense will prevail and this will be removed asap.

ALLMCC
3rd Sep 2003, 16:14
Just an update on my last post - sorry, passenger ceiling level should have been 2.2m - as regards taxiways, believe A3 is to be realigned, strengthened & resurfaced - it will then be able to cater for A320/A321 - A1 is also to be widened.