PDA

View Full Version : colourvision

whitelabel
2nd Sep 2003, 20:33
Goodday friends

i have got a question.
Can anybody tell me the colourvision requirements in australia?
I know dr arthur pape did some important work over there.
Is it possible to become an airlinepilot in australia if your colourvision is not good enough for europe?
What is possible in australia.

please let me know.

thank you all for your attention,

greetz
white

Bad medicine
4th Sep 2003, 07:47
The CASA visual requirements, including colour vision are at:
http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/dame/080r0201.pdf

whitelabel
4th Sep 2003, 18:52
ok thank you very much.
But as far as i can see there is no difference betweet australia and the rest of the world.
Iam i wrong??
The colour perception standards are the same as in europe.
If you dont pass the lantern then you loose.

is it the same as europe??

thanks
greetz white

Blinkz
5th Sep 2003, 03:59
no its not the same as europe as in austrailia and the US if you fail the lanterns you can then do a practical test at an airfield, which are easier as long as you are only slightly colourblind.

Glom
15th Sep 2003, 23:32
If you fail the initial number dots test but pass a lantern test, what does that mean for career prospects as a pilot generally?

ETOPS773
15th Sep 2003, 23:35
Pass the lantern test and your signed off for life!!

Fail them,well..you got a looooooooooong wait before any action is taken to get a fair system like the USA / Down under where you are tested on an airfield in realistic conditions..not flashing LEDs!!

Glom
16th Sep 2003, 00:09
So commercial piloting, UAS, RAF, it's all open?

ETOPS773
16th Sep 2003, 00:59
RAF,Anything military,i`m unsure of.

So far as flying civilian aircraft commercially,you would be able to do this if you paseed the lantern test got your class 1 and all the other bits etc.

If you cannot get the lantern test,you`d have to join the que like me and ALOT of others until hopefully progress is made with the testing.
You are still able to get a restricted class 1 medical,thus you could become and instructor if thats something you`d like to do.

Glom
16th Sep 2003, 01:08
Thanks. The doctor said that I'd be okay for UAS with a day only restriction and would certainly be okay if I could pass the lantern test. But it still concerns me about joining the air force. At least I know I'd have a shot at civil flying even if I can't get into the military.

Blinkz
16th Sep 2003, 04:29
again i don't know about the RAF, I have heard they use the lantern too, but i don't know if they actaully accept ppl with anything less then perfect eyesight.

i too am in the same boat, having failed the lantern tests at gatwick (was so close!) I'm going to try and get retested (any ideas how?) and if not try and get tested on the continent (france or switzerland)

If all else fails then I'm going to have to goto austrailia and see if I can pass there tests.

I refuse to let something so petty as CVD stop me being a pilot :suspect:

ETOPS773
16th Sep 2003, 06:00
Blinkz,
Your chances of getting a re test are slim at best.Even then,you might not pass it again.

I went to City university in london,where a lady there, Theresa Squire,is doing research for the CAA. It involved doing the good old lantern test again,using other equipment that our friends on the continent use.

Even though I failed to meet to CAAs standards,I did do the city university test which they have produced.
Its designed not so much to say your colour defective,you are not safe...it asseses by how much and in which areas.Its a much better and fairer test,computer based.
I`ve got a link to it here:

http://www.city.ac.uk/avrc/colourtest.html

I was assesed and was suprised to hear my colour vision is not all that bad,very slightly red defective.

The test involves a large box which has a smaller box inside it.The smaller box moves from corner to corner diagonally,changing colour whilst you do so.You have a keypad which has four buttons in a 2 x 2 grid. If you see the box moving upwards and rightwards,you press the key in the top right hand corner of the control pad,if it moves bottom left,press the bottom left button.

The test is about as good as we can wish for really in the short term until we get an on the aerodrome assesment like the USA / Australia.

Also,I have learnt that British Airways and I also think BMI did some assesments on the A321 / B757-200 cockpits and how much colour vision comes into play. Interestingly..the results are that its not as critical as the myth we are led to believe,the A321s FMC having a multicoloured display compared to the boeing variant being a so called "issue"..and that this is not a critical issue. !!

The next part of the study is happening now by Qinetiq (formerly DERA).They are concluding the study on anything that is not based in the cockpit..ie taxiway lights,aerodrome lighting etc,assesing if a colour defective would be dangerous in this enviroment.

We should get an answer in a year or so and then perhaps a year or so after that,we`ll see the changes filter to the CAA / JAA,people being tested soley on this new test.

Also,there is always the way of the legal system if things do not turn out ,arguing that Captain America is flying his american registered 747/777 into EGLL when,using our tests,they would be considered dangerous.
I`m sure that would be a good argument and one the authories might not be able wriggle out of.

Blinkz
16th Sep 2003, 08:55
cheers for the reply ETOPS, i know vaguely about what city was doign, i've been in touch the Theresa to see if I can be of any help but as u said they've finished that part of the project. i'm sure i can pass the beyne lantern, hence I mite goto france and get my medical done there (then the CAA have to let me fly :))

if all else fails i'll move to austrailia. i'm not going to give up until i've tried every possible way. thanks for your post.

Glom
17th Sep 2003, 03:19
I found a publication on RAF Visual Requirements (http://www.assoc-optometrists.org/uploaded_files/pdf/06-raf.pdf). (pdf file)

To be a pilot, you need CP2. It comes as no surprise really, but it's still a huge disappointment to me.

However, the requirements for UAS seem significantly less strict, which is good news at least. I may still have a shot at that.

LawMaker
18th Sep 2003, 20:09
ETOPs,

Theres a post in:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41455

That describes how to effectively take action against the CAA on CVD issues.

I think one of the pilots on that forum is taking the advice and acting on it. He is currently gathering a list of CVD pilots if you want to contact him.

Regards.