PDA

View Full Version : off airport landings

Tmflyer
1st Sep 2003, 23:27
Anyone have source of information for USA individual state regulations about landing helicopters off airports

seems FAA is pretty simple..do not create hazard...but individual states are VERY different

Lots of mis-information floating around about this topic

GLSNightPilot
2nd Sep 2003, 02:56
You don't have to worry about the states - they generally have few or no regulations. Individual municipalities are what you have to worry about. Each city has its own ordinances dealing with this, & you have to know each one before you land in that city's boundaries. Some don't care, & some will put you in jail, or at least issue a ticket. It's entirely hit or miss, and depends on the whims of the city council of each city.

And keep in mind that the city limits can reach well beyond the built-up area. I know of cities whose limits literally are miles beyond the edge of the city. There are various reasons for this, all of the economic, and there is no way to tell from the air where the city limits are.

Be afraid. Be very afraid. Before you land anywhere other than a public airport (and there are many private ones) do a thorough survey and make sure you know (not think, know) in which city it is, if any, and what the laws there are. If it's outside a city, then you need to check the county laws, but in general counties don't regulate landings nearly as much as cities. Check anyway.

RDRickster
2nd Sep 2003, 02:58
"Sorry about violating your local codes, my oil light came on and I needed to make a precautionary landing to check the engine."

GLSNightPilot
2nd Sep 2003, 03:04
That may or may not be successful. You can still get a ticket. Depends on the city and the cop. I've seen it happen.

SASless
2nd Sep 2003, 03:57
And in some states.....FAR's are incorporated into the criminal stautes by reference....and in some states a "minor" FAR violation becomes a Felony crime under their statutes. I have never had a problem....but one never knows when you will find yourself nose deep in some stinky stuff.

HeliMark
2nd Sep 2003, 05:03
RD, I would be very careful on telling people that one. If you get someone who knows a little about aviation, and he knows you are trying to put one on him, he might just turn around and say that you have to truck it out. With a ticket/fine and the FAA notified.

Could be lots of headaches.

Helinut
2nd Sep 2003, 17:05
Makes our rules in the UK seem positively friendly, by comparison :)

Makes a change!;)

GLSNightPilot
3rd Sep 2003, 01:14
I'm not sure the UK rules are more friendly, but they are likely far more standard. Some cities in the U.S. allow landings pretty much at will, & most are rather lenient, but you never know. It's up to the individual city, & never the federal government, to set the rules. The FAA does have some rules regarding landing sites, but each city can set its own rules. The real problem is the complete lack of standardization - it could be completely legal or completely illegal, or anywhere in between.

I remember Houston, TX back in the early 80's, with little old ladies with theodolites checking the altitude of helicopters flying over the city for Mayor Kathy Whitmire. A dispute arose about whether the city could regulate the airspace. That kind of thing lost her the support of the oil companies, if nothing else did, & without the oil barons, in Houston you're in trouble. She lasted far longer than anyone expected, though.

RW-1
3rd Sep 2003, 01:15
Before considering an off airport site, I seek written landowners permission, then go to the municipality with that, generally if you allow time for them to see that it will not be a headache, etc.

You can secure permission, plus they will be aware of day/time you plan on doing it, to avoid Mrs. Joeplotnik calling the police and 911 screaming that a heli went down in her neighbor's yard, etc ...

I've done flights into areas so far without issue when following the advice given above. In the case of a state park I frequent, the ranger is ware, and the request for permission is in writing from the modeling club that uses the field (I fly in for a static display, etc.)

A couple of fellows from Canada landed on Deerfield beach, for the purposes of relieving themselves at a restraunt whilst on a trip down the coast, they ended up with a $500+ fine, but were allowed to go, so it's all who what where ...

XEMS
3rd Sep 2003, 01:23
In California, the state does come in to play with aircraft operations. They have a department of aeronautics that has jurisdiction (a division of the roads department). One example is the prohibition of landing within a certain area around a public school. It doesn't matter if school is in session or not. The pilot can then be faced with breaking a state law, at which point the FAA can become involved and use that operation as being careless and reckless. You get to break a state law, and violate the FAR's in one fell swoop! Sort of a two for one deal!