PDA

View Full Version : Air expert says "its only a matter of time"

HeliAviator
1st Sep 2003, 22:12
Printed in the letters page of the Farnham Herald a tirade of mis-facts about Chinnoks and other rotary aircraft flying in the local area. Apparently an air expert (a fully qualified chartered engineer) says its only a matter of time before a Chinook crash. This supposed experts idea of evidence: "Chinooks are to noisy and old to be allowed to fly in the local area". Farnborough and the surrounding area including Odiham is used by many civil aircraft on the approach or departure from Heathrow and Farnborough, one could say its only a matter of time..............

Its the old, old story of not in my back yard and Tommy this and Tommy that! Still want your cheap petrol for the 4 by 4 though and happy to send the troops and the supporting aircraft to do it for you. Makes my blood boil, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

sprucemoose
1st Sep 2003, 22:28
The day a civil aircraft flies over my house lower than a wokka is the day I will be really worried!
Chinooks might be old and noisy, but I'd feel happier in one of them than aboard a V-22.

A and C
1st Sep 2003, 22:36
You are right it is undoubtedly a lot of NIMBY rubish but we know that , the readers of the paper dont .

so why not email a reply to the paper and show this guy up for the idiot he is.

Runaway Gun
1st Sep 2003, 22:56
It's amazing what these 'experts' will say when under the influence of drink/money/power/letter to the editor.

What is an expert anyway? Ex = has been, Spurt = drop of water under pressure. ;)

noisy
1st Sep 2003, 22:57
....because the most even handed editor isn't going to publish something that makes him or one of his journos look a prat.

Goddammit RG!,

How come everyone seems to post exactly one minute before me.

(It's a conspiracy I tell you) :O

Mad_Mark
1st Sep 2003, 23:40
Read the full article here (http://www.farnham-herald-today.co.uk/frame/newsdetail.cfm?id=65560)

MadMark!!! :mad:

ShyTorque
2nd Sep 2003, 05:06
Since when have "chartered engineers" been "assessing pilots to ensure they meet industry standards" then? :rolleyes:

This is a NIMBY without any semblence of a disguise. Ask him how long he has lived in Farnham...... :hmm:

The Nr Fairy
2nd Sep 2003, 14:52
Can anyone remember the last time a Wokka, any other mil helicopter, or any other mil aircraft crashed on ANY town in the UK ?

And since when did noise alone make an aircraft unsafe ?

Scud-U-Like
2nd Sep 2003, 18:10
noisy

Not necessarily. Some months ago Radio 4's 'PM' news prog, broadcast an item which I considered to be somewhat biased towards the fireshirkers. I droppped them an email, which was broadcast the next day. I think journos are pretty thick skinned and will take criticism on the chin, especially if there's a story in it.

Wee Jock
2nd Sep 2003, 18:38
I'm noisy and old but I'm still allowed to control aeroplanes. I bet he's trying to sell his house. Come to think of it, maybe HM should sell Windsor Castle since it's right in the line of fire for Heathrow, no doubt she's on the phone to the BAA bleating about the noise/writing to the Ed of the Windsor Bugle/whinging to her MP at this very moment.

This is also the sort of bloke who'd moan if the Chinooks were all grounded and couldn't be used (...national security...taxpayers' money...disgrace...in my day...blaaah blaaah blaaah...)

;) :E ;)

Archimedes
2nd Sep 2003, 20:58
Noisy,

And in any event, the journos have been misled by someone apparently claiming to know more about wokkas than he actually does. If you were to write in along the lines of 'expert talking out of his bottom, misleading your journalist', I can't see how they could be upset

Furthermore, given the choice of 'furious row breaks out over expert's helicopter claims' or 'cat stuck up tree in Acacia Avenue', I suspect the journal's editor might welcome the controversy...

noisy
3rd Sep 2003, 16:24
Archimedes, Scud-U-Like,

I work for a Television News company and spending time around some of the self serving halfwits here has somewhat coloured my judgement, although I do take on board the point made about journos being misled; they really will believe anything you tell them about an aircraft.

Runaway Gun
3rd Sep 2003, 22:30
Some of my favourite misunderstandings include;

"The engine stopped" - aircraft stalled
"Crashed in mid-air" - aircraft crashed
"Aircraft crash" - forced landing
"Crash Landing" - forced landing onto runway
"Pilot bravely avoids village" - Pilot regained control
"Air Force Jet" - any military jet
"Army helicopter" - any military helicopter
"Missiles" - CRV7s
"Parachuted to safety" - ejected
"The engines roared to life" - the dangerous 'go round'

and don't even get me started on Next of Kin and the Press...

Anyone else got any pearlers?

Wee Jock
4th Sep 2003, 05:31
'But I haven't got the maps for Stansted, can you guide me in?'
Allegedly said by the pilot of hi-jacked Sudanese Airbus EGSS-bound with a cargo of Iraqis, and printed in the Telegraph and the Daily Mail.

Total rubbish. He said localiser established, I said contact the Tower, Sir, safe landing.

AlanM
4th Sep 2003, 06:07
Hiya WJ! :)

During a suspected kidnapping a civil armed response police car (no radio, no previous airfield knowledge or a clearance!) drove on to the active runway to try and stop an aircraft (which was in the process of shutting down on the apron on blocks!!). Other inbound aircraft sent around whilst this idiot was rounded up by the firemen!

News headline...

"Police officers STOP a kidnapping by bravely driving on the runway and forcing the aircraft to come to a halt!"

My first 1261 against a Police Car!!! :) (I had been caught speeding the previous week!!!!!!)

(Oh - and did think of firing a red verey pistol in front of the car - but was reminded that high velocity rounds more accurate than my flare!!!) :mad: idiots!

right chopper
5th Sep 2003, 22:51
So I suppose it was also the fault of the mighty wokka that those 2 gliders from Lasham had a mid-air...after all it was 'only a matter of time' that a crash happened in the area. Wishing them a speedy recovery.

Bright-Ling
6th Sep 2003, 04:38
Well said RChttp://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/hyper.gif