PDA

View Full Version : Air Wales - fares and schedules

MerchantVenturer
1st Sep 2003, 19:05
Can anyone ‘in the know’ at Air Wales please explain their pricing.

The main headline on their website proclaims: ‘Swansea Cardiff to London, all seats £49 each way. Every seat, every flight. No extra costs. Book on line.’

When I tried to book a flight online from CWL to LCY for 9 September 2003 I was shown a price of £121.39 (£92 plus £29.39) for the return flight, when I was expecting £98. In case the £49 only applies to flights in the London direction I entered a single journey from CWL to LCY and was shown a price of £58.79 (£46 plus ££12.79). Perhaps this date was almost fully booked and prices had been increased, so I tried dates later that week but the quoted price was still £121.39.

I even tried a random date in November as a further check and this time the return fare came to £109.39 (£80 plus £29.39).

Furthermore, whereas the Air Wales website schedules page shows three daily flights CWL-LCY, their booking page now only shows two. I double-checked with the CWL Ceefax arrivals page and it seemed to confirm a reduction in flights. There used to be (going from Wales to London) a morning flight, a late morning/lunchtime flight and an early evening flight. There now seems to be a morning flight and a late afternoon/teatime flight. Is this reduction just a temporary measure?

Any information would be welcome. I am making this enquiry on behalf of someone who sometimes needs to travel from Cardiff to London and I said I would try to find out Air Wales’ situation re prices and timings.

Grange End Star
2nd Sep 2003, 00:55
New Schedule came into effect wef today.

Morning CWL-LCY depts 0845 arrives 0935 , leaves LCY 0955 arrives CWL 1045

Evening Flight Leaves CWL 1650 arrives 1745 , and then departs LCY 1805 arriving CWL 1900

Above changes made to cater for people travelling to London & Cardiff/Swansea for a day's business , hence the dropping of the Mid day Flight which was usually "light" in terms of passenger numbers.

Morning & evening Flights doing pretty well though :)

Looks like Web site yet to be updated with new Schedule.

Cant help with your prices query. sorry !!!

Hulk Hogan
2nd Sep 2003, 03:47
Website seems to have been updated with the new schedule and a new price for LCY, it is now £59 one-way. The increase might be down to the fact on the late afternoon flight is at peak time and the landing fees are more expensive.

How many ATR's do they have now, and are they getting more or thinking of getting a ATR72?

Good to hear that they are doing well.

BAe 146-100
2nd Sep 2003, 04:14
Hi,

Hulk Hogan,

How many ATR's do they have now?

Air Wales currently have 3 ATR 42's and 2 more are going to be delivered to the airline next year. They also have 1 Beech 1900D leased from Danish Air Transport.

BAe 146-100

Grange End Star
2nd Sep 2003, 04:39
4th ATR 42 Due in the Next Month or so, and i hear is to be used for Ad Hoc Charter work.

No more planned for the forseable future , and no plans for 72's.

Beech 1900 which was operated by Avanti Air on a Wet lease basis went back to germany at beginning of April when ATR operations started.

MerchantVenturer
2nd Sep 2003, 05:58
Thanks all,

I note web page headline now increased to £59 one way.

However, when attempting to book for next week price still comes up at £121.39 return (£92 plus £29.39). Also schedules page still showing 3 rotations per day.

I think I will wait a couple of days and try again. The whole site, including booking system, might have been updated by then.

I realise this airline is settling down and has now learned the best timings for the London runs from practical experience. Good luck to them and good to hear the non midday London loads are holding up well. Just the sort of thing an area like Wales needs. I hope Air Southwest is equally successful in the far south west.