PDA

View Full Version : Neville Duke - 50 years on

newswatcher
1st Sep 2003, 16:42
7th September is the 50th Anniversary of the speed record attempt, when Hawker Aviation Chief test pilot Neville Duke took a much modified 'WB188' to a average speed of 727.6 Mph, over a 3-kilometre course off the Sussex coast, breaking the air speed record.

To "celebrate", BBC1 South is showing a half hour program at 19:30hrs tonight. Unfortunately, only available to viewers in that area, or through one of the high number channels on Sky - try 954. :ok: :ok:

newswatcher
3rd Sep 2003, 15:25
What a disappointment! Just 10 minutes squuezed into the program, but some of the newsreel was OK.

Lukeafb1
11th Sep 2003, 21:10
Advert in the British "Sunday Express" newspaper last Sunday, advertising signed (by ND) first day covers which were flown in the commemorative Hunter sortie along with Duke himself.

Envelope has graphic of his Hunter and three relevant postage stamps with appropriate franking. £24 sounded like a good deal to me, so I ordered two. However, if you are interested, stocks are running out. Telephone number for ordering (usual disclaimer) is: 0870 - 3333525. Very nice young lady answered the phone and took my order. Its worth it to hear her voice alone!

pulse1
11th Sep 2003, 21:16
As far as I know Neville Duke is still flying 50 years after his epic flight. I met him a few years ago at EGHH and he was celibrating having passed his Class 1 medical. An amazing man and real gentleman.

I believe that he is the only surviving test pilot from an era when they were all household names. He is certainly the only one still flying.

Whispering Giant
11th Sep 2003, 21:50
Indeed he is still flying - he fly's a PA28 now - see him quite a bit down here in Exeter when were having event's with our Hunter's...

W.G

newswatcher
11th Sep 2003, 21:57
The BBC programme, I referred to above, stated that he held the longest continuous PPL in this country. Think he has had this since 1941. Unless someone knows any different!