PDA

View Full Version : Good Guides?

Pilot16
30th Aug 2003, 05:31
Hi...

Is there any good guides I can buy from Amazon perheps that describes the intricacies behind obtaining an a/c engineering license?

thanks.

Pilot16
30th Aug 2003, 23:23
No? How about CAA publications? :confused:

Pilot16
31st Aug 2003, 01:05
Thanks very much for your reply ASFKAP :ok:

Things are beginning to make sense :)

Well How long does it take to get a B2 License?

Can you (kindly) explain to me how a 'degee' maybe achieved in Aicraft Engineering?

I am leaving College in a year, and applying to universities...
And this is something I am strongy looking at. If Im going to spend 3 years doing an aviation related degree, Why not enginineering? I like practical hands on work, plus doing science based A Levels means I will have a good background...

Kingston Uni offers courses for a JAR-66 B license...

It claims that within two years, you will cover the skill and knowledge requirement for the JAR 66 catagory B Licence... Does this mean I will be an LAE within 2 years?? :confused: (Sounds Great)...someone please confirm...

It says the extra optional third year tops up to a BEng (Honours) degree...and covers the 'knowledge' requirement for the JAR 66 Catagory C License...

So....does this mean with the third year done, I will have the honours degree? as it says 'knowledge requirement', what exactly is the skill requirement for a Catagory C License?

And also, what are the privalages of a catagory C License?

I know its a hell of a lot off questions, and i have been looking for answers everywhere!! I would appreciate very much if someone helps out a fellow young enthusiast :ok:

P16

Pilot16
31st Aug 2003, 04:22
Ok, i know they are everyday questions to most of the people browsing this forum, but i do hope some one will reply :uhoh:

woderick
31st Aug 2003, 05:50
ASFKAP a tad harsh on our grubby colleagues perhaps, do you work with any that have mastered a computer and are literate enough to read this ? probably not but watch your back !

Seriously Pilot 16 the requirements are set out in simple terms at CAA.co.uk then follow safety and personnel licensing and there are several documents to guide you. Note that there are experience requirements to follow any ab-inito training, and then there is type training after that before you are any real (certification wise) use to an employer. I was lucky many years ago when things were different and was employed straight from college, I think this would probably more difficult today. Anyway go, read, and any further questions I’m sure someone will try to answer.

Blacksheep
5th Sep 2003, 13:08
Pilot16.

Take an Engineering Honours Degree with an avaition bias and when you've graduated, seek work in the Engineering Department rather than the Maintenance Department. The work environment is nicer, the girls are prettier and you'll get to mix with the blue-blooded nobility themselves. Those who work permanent days in comfort and safety and who need no licences, for God himself has granted them authority to design the solution to any problem.

Of course you'll have to make their tea, run errands and pick the fluff out of their keyboards for a few years before you are granted "Design Signatory Authority" but its worth it. You could even go on to be a Chartered Engineer and never have do a stroke of your own work again for the rest of your life.

Best of all, you won't have to associate with obstreperous drunken B2 licence holders like ASFKAP either...

...and don't bother flaming me guys. I'm much too thick skinned for it to bother me :D

Seriously though, always go for the degree if you have the chance. There's plenty of life ahead to do what you please after graduating. Going back to school years later when you've got a family to keep is a bloody hard grind.

Through difficulties to the cinema

avoman
7th Sep 2003, 08:22
The KingstonUni course sounds good for the likes of you, If successful you get a degree in aeronautical engineering. You also get some exemptions for the JAR 66 licence examinations. You still need two years practical experience. Much of this you could pick up working in your vacations. With this and your degree coursework you would probably be able to pass the rest of the licence examinations without too much difficulty.
In this stratosphere would you ever bother to do much more than this with your JAR 66 licence? As suggested above you would move into cleaner realms untroubled by the need to struggle with brake units at 3am and 3C with the rain going sideways. Go for it.

Genghis the Engineer
7th Sep 2003, 17:08
I'm sorry Blacksheep, but you stretch credibility just a bit too far there.

If you want to meet pretty girls, become a pilot or steward - the odds against meeting on in an Engineering department are astronomical.

G

Blacksheep
11th Sep 2003, 18:30
I didn't say pretty Ghengis, I said prettier. Like Einstein theorised - its all a matter of relativity ;)

Through difficulties to the cinema