PDA

View Full Version : So how does one ask for an upgrade

blade sail
30th Aug 2003, 02:16
I am just a shy passenger who has never asked before - an upgrade virgin if you will!

I am going to St Lucia in October and have never before asked for an upgrade. I would love to pay, especially as this is a romantic anniversary pressent for the wife, but cannot afford the cost of an upgrade.

Do staff at airlines get annoyed of you ask? I know that it is best to be of a certain age group and be smartly dressed. My wife and I are in our forties and travel in smart casual attire rather than shell suit and gold sovereign rings!

Is there a "best practise" when asking, should I ask at all.

I am flying with VA from Gatwick on a 747.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

I work as crew on police helicopter but I don't know if that should be mentioned. Will that just make the staff think I'm a "blagger" who isn't worth wasting an upgrade on.

Avman
30th Aug 2003, 03:42
What you can do is ask at check-in if economy is overbooked and if they might have to upgrade. Then explain your job and the special reason for your trip with your wife. If you don't succeed at check-in don't despair. Try again at the gate but don't leave it too late. Unfortunately, upgrades are not that easy to obtain these days. You could also consider a nice little letter to RB.

blade sail
30th Aug 2003, 05:19
Avman,

Thank you for the advice. I didn't realise that the staff at the gate had that discretion too. I try to be polite and undemanding as I know the cabin crew have to deal with some real idiots. Perhaps my kind and caring nature will carry the day, either that or my film star good looks, but then, did the elephant man ever get an upgrade?:ok:

PacificOrigin
30th Aug 2003, 13:09
Be NICE to the CheckIn Agent! Because they have been sitting there for the past so many hours, and as much as the arrogant business-type flyer who insists on a) talking on their mobile while you explain to them the security requirements, or b) demands that they be checked in before anyone else because they are only carrying a briefcase - whilst the remaining queue of leisure travellers peicefully await their turn; makes your day THAT much more fun, its the passenger who smiles BACK at the CheckIn Agent, and the passenger who makes the agent laugh, or the passenger who comments on something about the agent (carefully avoiding crossing the line of sleazing as that will result in *well sometimes* the complete opposite outcome you desire) that ultimately gets the best treatment.

The CSA really has a lot more descretion than many SLF realise... be it upgrading pax, turning a blind eye to the excess luggage you're carrying, looking out for you in the event of a disrupt... ( I have been known to search for the pax who were nicest to me at CKIN and transfer them to the next flight before offering any remaining seats to those who were my least desirables)

Just a couple of suggestions... but believe me - this comes from my own experience behind the desk! BUT JUST A WEE HINT: dont outright ask for an upgrade unless you look genuine and grateful...

blade sail
30th Aug 2003, 20:13
PacificOrigin

Thanks to you too for the information. I am a naturally smiley kind of person but I sometimes think having a face like a well slapped horses stern does me no favours!

Perhaps I can smile enough to get the Check In staff to look past that and see the wonderfully warm and friendly person lurking below.

I have often thought that yours must be a difficult and often frustrating job, not one I envy and I admire anyone who can spend all day being polite to sometimes rude and often frustrated travellers.

Thank you.

Gaza
3rd Sep 2003, 16:57
I'm afraid your chance of an U/G are very slim. Like most airlines VS will upgrade their Frequent Flyers first. They will start with Gold and work their way down. I'm not sure if you can join Flying Club on line but have a look at the website. Even as a bottom tier member you will probably have more chance than a non FC member.

Where in St.Lucia are you going? I was at LeSport in February and will be going back in April 04.

PAXboy
3rd Sep 2003, 20:04
blade: This question has been asked in this forum many, many, many times, if you search the archives you will find more. However, the reply from Gaza is typical and accurate.

I am a member of the VS Flying Club since it started (now 17 years since my first flight with VS) and I am rarely upgraded and I cannot remember the last time. Given that I fall into the category who might expect such - I am usually travelling alone and well turned out - then I'm afraid it is likely to be unlikely for you and your wife.

If you think that you have strings that you can pull in advance, then do so but airlines have moved away from the, "If we upgrade them, they will see how wonderful it is and then pay the full whack, next time." idea, that came out of the States in the late 80s.

I find VS service in Y to be very good and often use them in Y to New York.

blade sail
3rd Sep 2003, 20:38
:ugh:

My thanks to Gaza and Paxboy. I rather thought that this would be the case. As I am anything but a frequent flyer I thought that an upgrade was probably within the realms of fantasy but thought it worth asking.

From the comments made by friends and colleagues, Virgin seats and service are of a high standard in any class so perhaps I'll just sit back, go with the flow and chill out in economy.

For Gaza, I'm off to Sandals Hacyon as a special treat. Last big holiday before retirement so looking forward to it enormously.

Thanks to all who have offered advice and views on this subject.

Gaza
4th Sep 2003, 17:34
BAE 146-100 - Sorry to be blunt but just what the f*** has KLM's FD programme got to do with someone flying VS?

In any case your info is inaccurate. The Miles required to Upgrade varies depending on the destination.

I would like to give you a bit of advice. From the nature and content of your posts I think you are young. It is also clear that you are very keen on all matters relating to aviation. I can understand this as since I was a child I too have been fascinated by it. However, I suggest you need to think a bit more about what you post on PPRuNe. This is NOT airliners.net.

On this forum pretty much anything goes, but on the other forums where the people who work in different parts of aviation share info, you need to think twice before posting. When you do post you don't always need to include a photograph of the subject matter being discussed!

BAe 146-100
4th Sep 2003, 23:12
Hi,

Gaza I totally understand what you are saying. I will think more about what I'm saying before I post. Sorry for giving out the wrong information.

BAe 146-100

davethelimey
11th Sep 2003, 19:59
BA is the nicest airline as far as upgrades are concerned. I've flown with them once (outbound and inbound), and both times got upgraded. The first time it just happened, the second time in Chicago I very cheekily asked, mentioning how chuffed I was the last time I got upgraded. The woman faked outrage for a second and then went and did it. Just smile, ask nicely, and don't be an arse if you don't get anything.

AIRWAY
11th Sep 2003, 20:23
Hi All,

I Have TAP-Air Portugal's Navigator Card ( Frequent Flyer ) although i travel in economy i have never asked to be upgraded ( I do have suffecient miles to do so ) but i always end up being upgraded without asking for it, well i wont complaint because at least i can claim the miles as Navigator Class which is the double than of the economy class ;)

radeng
12th Sep 2003, 17:53
I've always found that wearing a suit and tie and having a frequent flyer card helps. Especially on BA where a silver or gold card is a real plus. Since getting the gold card, I sometimes wonder if they haven't mistaken me for minor royalty - and they always treated me well before. Don't order any special meal, either.

Plus, be pleasant and polite to the check in staff, to ticket purchase people when if you're picking up a ticket, and to cabin crew. But of course, you'd be that anyway, wouldn't you?

Jordan D
13th Sep 2003, 15:48
Don't order any special meal, either.

I've got to agree - slightly off the point, but my mum order a special meal for dietary reasons for one month, and it took nearly 3 years of persitant asking to get it deleted of the BA system.

Jordan

LITOW
13th Sep 2003, 18:32
blade sail

You got mail!

christep
14th Sep 2003, 11:10
To AIRWAY

Are you sure about your miles? I don't know of any FF scheme in the world (I am in about 10, but not TAP) that would give you business class miles after a operational upgrade.

high-flyer
14th Sep 2003, 15:52
Have to agree about upgrades on BA. I travel to Montreal every month, and have been upgraded every time bar one. Just be well presented, polite and don;t be afraid to ask, nicely. Don't turn up early either.

Being an Executive Club member does help, and once you've the silver card you can get in the lounge, where you can have a nice chat with the lady behind the desk. Usually the best chance of upgrade if you weren't successful at checkin.

And as for getting business miles if you get upgraded, i have got Club miles from a flexible economy upgrade every time. Get the Club tier points as well.

Helps you on your way to the Gold card anyway.

As for the upgrade on VS, have been upgraded to the luxuries of Upper Class from lowest fare economy, so it is possible...

high-flyer

Gouabafla
16th Sep 2003, 03:27
The only foolproof way to get an upgrade that I've come across is to say "can I have a business class ticket please" when you book your flight. You pay more (a lot more) but it works without fail - or so I'm told - I've never been in a position to try.

I've got a Star Alliance silver card (United) but have never been offered an upgrade. Even when I tried to use some of my miles to getupgraded on a transatlantic flight they wouldn't let me.

I had a BA silver card for a while and didn't get upgraded. To add insult to injury, a friend of mine on the same flight as me was upgraded and it was his first flight on BA.