PDA

View Full Version : Oz Jobs 29.08.03

Windshear
29th Aug 2003, 11:17
SNR GR. 3 INSTRUCTOR NEEDED
Self motivated achiever - outer Melb. location.
Ph 03 9372 1960

CHIEF FLYING INSTRUCTOR
Enthusiastic CFI and charter pilot wanted.
*TT 2000 Hrs
*Grade 1, CIR [3 renewals] 500Hrs twin
Desirable-
*CFI approval
*Turbine, ATPL, degree, remote charter experience
*Marketing ability and highly motivated
Apply to CFI, P O Box 132M, Manunda Qld 4870
or email [email protected]

HELICOPTER PILOT REQUIRED
Permanet position must have Ag. rating and experience
Apply to - The Manager, P O Box 171, Cootamaunda NSW 2590

HELICOPTER FLYING INSTRUCTOR
The right applicant will be required to assist in the management and marketing of a busy flight school.
*Instructor Rating Grade 1
*2000Hrs TT
*500 Hrs Turbine
*R22 and H500 time an advantage
Applt to - CFI, Hangar 14B, Redcliffe Aerodrome, Nathan Road, KIPPA RING. QLD 4021 or email [email protected]

JAYROW - HELICOPTER PILOTS
Helicopter Onshore Captains - [ Remote Based NT and QLD]
*1500Hrs [H]
*500 Hrs Turbine, CHPL and NVFR
*ATPL and IREX subjects highly desirable.
Apply to - The Chief Pilot, Jayrow Helicopters Pty Ltd, P O Box 46, MENTONE. Vic 3194

PILOT
A very remote cattle station is chasing a pilot.
NO MUSTERING REQUIRED. -
Lots of good flying however you will work VERY hard when not flying. I call the position pilot/jakeroo. Pay is not bad, private flying only.
Typical non flying jobs, painting, gardening, bore runs and cattle yard work.
I STRESS THIS IS A FULL ON HARD POSITION. YOU MUST BE PREPARED TO GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY AND WORK HARD.
Very rewarding and satisfying position - the life lessons you will learn are brilliant.
You must like XXXX Gold (only beer there) but when you get time of and go to the camp drafts... Bundy bundy and more bundy...
You get the odd trip to the big smoke.
For more info email:-
[email protected]
Preference given to those with 300+ hours and C182 time.
Please only email if you seriously think you can hack life on a cattle station. Believe me its not for everyone.

HabibBro
29th Aug 2003, 22:27
Holy Crap Enthusiastic CFI Turbine ATPL Degree Remote.......anything else?? Coulpa Moon landings?? Gees their keen. Airlines ask for less dont they!

hungry_flygal
30th Aug 2003, 10:06
quick question ....

are cattle station jobs common ?

Was thinking about them after my degree..

If they are common - normally - who would you approach about them ?

Icarus2001
30th Aug 2003, 10:37
Does anyone have any info on the CFI job in Cairns, such as the company, any goss etc?

gidaym8
30th Aug 2003, 14:04
Sounds like Cape York Air

Continental-520
31st Aug 2003, 16:17
Holy Crap Enthusiastic CFI Turbine ATPL Degree Remote.......anything else?? Coulpa Moon landings?? Gees their keen. Airlines ask for less dont they!

Yep, 3 takeoffs and landings in the last 90 days on the moon at night are desireable. :cool:

You know, I've always wondered about these sorts of things. If you had, say, 2500TT, over 500 command on twins, and over 100hrs instrument time, why would you want to work in a company who owns 3 or 4 twins at a country town base and ask such requirements when you're eligible for something like Skippers, Air North, Pearl, RFDS, or of course the big QF or VB.

Sure, eligibility doesn't mean automatic employment or even an interview, but nevertheless, one would think one could aim a bit higher.

Sheep Guts
1st Sep 2003, 00:01
Conny 520,
Never a truer word spoken mate. It allways amazes me the requirements of these Carins Companies. An they have nothing really to Offer, no RPT above 5700kgs, no decent Multi- Crew Turbine. Really its the DREAMERS trying to employ the DREAMING.

:E

Sheep

404 Titan
1st Sep 2003, 10:57
Continental-520 & Sheep Guts

There are a number of reasons why these companies in Cairns ask for such high hours. Very simply they are:

1. Insurance requirements. If they were to employ low hour pilots their insurance premiums would jump exponentially.
2. All the larger companies have government, Oil Company, and other private company contracts, which stipulate minimum hour requirements for the PIC. The oil companies also often stipulate two pilots for a single pilot aircraft.
3. Supply and demand. There are very few jobs compared to the number of pilots looking for jobs. Why would you employ a low hour pilot when you can get someone with much more experience?
4. Cairns is a great place to live and the pick of the bunch to live if you were flying GA charter in Australia. It is a reasonably large town with capital city facilities. Not to mention all the things to do in your spare time like the reef, rainforest etc etc.
5. Because they can.
If you had, say, 2500TT, over 500 command on twins, and over 100hrs instrument time, why would you want to work in a company who owns 3 or 4 twins at a country town base and ask such requirements when you're eligible for something like Skippers, Air North, Pearl, RFDS, or of course the big QF or VB.
There are only so many jobs on offer from these companies. Good luck if you get in because there are thousands of others vying for these same jobs.

As a side note, with the exception of the RFDS (which has a very high hour requirement), you will be starting off as a F/O or S/O with these companies that you have mentioned 520. If you were going for a direct entry command, the hours required would be very similar if not considerably more than what is required by some of these companies in Cairns flying single pilot IFR charter and RPT.
It allways amazes me the requirements of these Carins Companies. An they have nothing really to Offer, no RPT above 5700kgs, no decent Multi- Crew Turbine. Really its the DREAMERS trying to employ the DREAMING.
Sheep Guts I noticed in another tread you were looking for a job back in Australia. What's the problem? Can’t you get one? All I can say mate is that you aren’t the only one and until there is a dramatic reduction in the number of unemployed pilots here, companies will continue to ask for what you and others think is very high hour requirements simply because "they can".
:)

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
1st Sep 2003, 16:31
Cont 520,

how about a reality check.

personally i have alot more than your suggested " my god i've made it" hours, guess what, i dont even get an interview, a guy i work with has 7,000tt, 5500 mecom, atpl, turbine, multi engine training and 9 renewals, he's just had his first non GA interview.

Qantas has low requirements, not many would be accepted anywhere near those hours, supply and demand.

Continental-520
1st Sep 2003, 23:40
Yeah, see what you're saying.

But why do companies such as QF not ask similar requirements then anyway? I would've thought that they, of all companies can ask them "because they can".

I've heard from a few VERY experienced (meaning in excess of 20/25000 hrs) that once you get above 2 or 3000 it starts working against you, depending on what you've spent your time doing. I.e. the more experience, the more 'set in your ways' you are, and not as easy as someone with lower time to 'mould' into new op. procedures and all the rest, etc. Is this a yesteryear myth or is does it still hold?

404 Titan
2nd Sep 2003, 09:15
Continental-520

The reason Qantas have lower hour requirements than some of the larger charter companies in Cairns is that you start off as an S/O. Therefore the insurance requirements aren’t as high. You are operating in a multi crew environment with other crew that are considerably more experienced than you. All the charter companies in Cairns operate single pilot multi engine IFR operations. Because you are in command and by yourself, the insurance requirements are higher. Also it is worth pointing out that in the current climate, with the exception of Cadets, you will find that most of the pilots getting into Qantas have a lot more hours than the minimum they are after. Again why should they employ someone with 500 hrs when they can get someone with 3000 hrs? When I was employing pilots in Cairns a number of years ago we required 2500 hrs total, 750 hrs multi engine command, 100 hrs IF with three renewals and 100 hrs night command. We were always able to find suitable applicants with considerably more experience than this. Supply and Demand. On the subject of more hours going against you than lower hours. I don’t buy that argument at all. A good operator is one that is adaptive and wouldn’t have any problems flying a new aircraft type for a new employer. I’ve seen some really switched on Cadets and Direct entry S/O’s and some average ones as well. Personally I have always found it easier to train an experienced pilot than one that has a fresh CPL. :rolleyes:

Sheep Guts
2nd Sep 2003, 12:40
Fair enough 404. Please tell your insurance requirements for the smallest Type you operate. Then explain to me why, you only employ someone with experience for insurance on the Most advanced or highest premium Type you operate?

Surely you could bring in guys on the smaller types Train them up to your standard on the slightly larger equipment. Or is this too hard? You see I bet you still get 20 blokes coming through your doors with bare commercial or 300-500 hrs TT and you turn them away with the 3000hr requirement. To fly a C206?:rolleyes: :hmm:

Anyway Cairns is a nice joint for a little while. 404 enjoy your REEF!

Regards
Sheep

P.S. Was fishing for a bite ,git one!:E
Personally I have always found it easier to train an experienced pilot than one that has a fresh CPL.

Now Im not going to read this as necessarily the standard of students youve had , or your individual Instructor prowess, am I ?:uhoh: :{

404 Titan
2nd Sep 2003, 14:00
Sheep Guts

You definitely have a chip on your shoulders, don’t you? Just to make it clear because you obviously haven’t looked at my profile, I don’t live in Cairns anymore. Haven’t for a number of years. You also obviously have no idea how the insurance industry works either. Insurance companies determine the minimum hours the PIC must have, not the owner. If they want to pay premiums that are close to or more than the hull value of the aircraft, sure they could put on low time pilots. End result though is they would go out of business because their costs would be too high. If you are to stay in business you must keep all your cost to a minimum. This includes insurance.

Another factor, which I have also already mentioned but I will repeat it again because you obviously have a problem comprehending what I have said, is that large corporate and government clients dictate minimum hour requirements as well. Infact they were the main reason for the very high hour requirements at my previous employer. They accounted for 80-90% of our work, so what they wanted they got. It didn’t matter whether it was a C310 or a C404, the requirements were the same. All the larger companies in Cairns are in the same boat with this requirement, particularly QLD government work.
You see I bet you still get 20 blokes coming through your doors with bare commercial or 300-500 hrs TT and you turn them away with the 3000hr requirement. To fly a C206?
Yes I did get a lot of young and keen inexperienced pilots come through the door. I also got a lot with considerable experience. There are unfortunately a lot of unemployed pilots and very few jobs available. Supply and Demand, which meant I could pick and choose. Bye the way the company you refer to that has the 3000 hr requirement to fly all there aircraft, not just the C206, was because a young lady with a bare CPL crashed there C210 into a cane field when she ran a fuel tank dry. This happened at least 8 years ago and as far as I know they have never had a problem getting knew pilots.
Now Im not going to read this as necessarily the standard of students youve had , or your individual Instructor prowess, am I ?
Who said I was talking about instructing? I wasn’t. I was referring to check & Training. The more experience new pilots had, resulted in more of the new pilots being checked to line in the minimum hours required. Again this was a cost saving to the bottom line.

While I can see you have little regard or understanding for the costs of running a business, I can assure you your employer does. If he doesn’t , you will be out of a job very quickly. :*

penetrator
2nd Sep 2003, 14:25
404 Im not exactly sure on the insurance practice for aircraft, but do the premiums go up like car insurance or can you nominate a lower hour pilot & pay the same yearly amount but have a higher excess should the lower hour pilot bend it?.

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
2nd Sep 2003, 17:31
What i've seen is the insurance company takes your company profile and the aircraft details to the under writer, he/she dictates the conditions, if you dont like what they are offering you go some where else. most of these under writers pretty much work fom the same text book.

Sheep Guts
2nd Sep 2003, 23:22
OK 404 you win. But I must admit I still cant understand why the requirements there are so high? As you say, must be the Goverment or something.

You see 404 I dont know if you kow about the Darwin or Top End market, But the requirements there are much lower and yes they have the Government clientel aswell. Even Chief Ministers etc., as they dont have a VIP Jet or King Air like QLD.
Lefthandrock thrower and Penetrator are on the right track. You can lower minimums if you increase your premiums and shop around. Even get down time insurance which alot companies dont get either.

Bye the way, the company you refer to that has the 3000 hr requirement to fly all there aircraft, not just the C206, was because a young lady with a bare CPL crashed there C210 into a cane field when she ran a fuel tank dry. This happened at least 8 years ago and as far as I know they have never had a problem getting knew pilots.

Well that isnt a one off. I would luv to have a dollar fro every GA accident around the place. Surley the insurance companies know this. So are you saying after this one accident this company had 8 YEARS AGO, dictates its insurance rates. I would shop around for a bit longer and get some other quotes. If thats the case then alot more companies would be under pressure. Because theres been alot of those accidents in the last 8 years.

Well 404 I hope because that the company you say pays lower Premiums, that it pays its Pilots decently? Somehow I bet not.:hmm:

You definitely have a chip on your shoulders, don’t you? Just to make it clear because you obviously haven’t looked at my profile, I don’t live in Cairns anymore. Haven’t for a number of years. You also obviously have no idea how the insurance industry works either.

OBVIUOSLY:hmm: :zzz:

Take Care Mate

No hard feelings. Hope your getting a fair days pay for a fair days work. I ve read your pretty profile its glorious, well done son.:ok: :ok: :O :p

404 Titan
3rd Sep 2003, 11:00
Sheep Guts
You can lower minimums if you increase your premiums and shop around. Even get down time insurance which alot companies dont get either.
We used an insurance broker to find the best insurance for us. So yes we did get the lowest rate possible.
Well 404 I hope because that the company you say pays lower Premiums, that it pays its Pilots decently? Somehow I bet not.
The company I worked for paid above the award. They paid for our uniforms and subsidized our mobile phones. They also paid more than what the award states for overnight allowances.
So are you saying after this one accident this company had 8 YEARS AGO, dictates its insurance rates. I would shop around for a bit longer and get some other quotes. If thats the case then alot more companies would be under pressure. Because theres been alot of those accidents in the last 8 years.
I don’t think there high hour requirement was because of insurance. They did it to improve their reputation and to win back clients. The event had considerable press coverage and they lost a lot of work out of it at the time.
But I must admit I still cant understand why the requirements there are so high?
As I said the main reason for our high hour requirement was more to do with client’s requirements. In particular, the QLD government. If the NT government has lower hour requirements good on them but they aren’t the QLD government. All four of the big companies in Cairns at the time that won the QLD government tender had to increase their hour requirement to 2500 hrs total, 750 hrs multi command, 100 hrs on type, 100 hrs of actual IF, 100 hrs command NGT and 3 IF renewals. As a point to note our requirement prior to this were 1500 hrs total, 500 hrs multi command, 50 hrs actual IF, 50 hrs command at night, 3 IF renewals and at least an endorsement on one of our type. We were also audited ever six months I think by the QLD government to make sure we were complying.

So that is the reason for the very high hour requirements in Cairns. Not because the companies are dreaming but because that is what the market (i.e. who pays your wages), wants.

:rolleyes:

HeloTeacher
3rd Sep 2003, 22:53
Having been involved in the hiring process in the past I can also attest to the comlexity of company minmums.

That company hired and employed a lot of newly licensed pilots (in Canada) but had never advertised for less than a 1000 hour minmum. We always had a stack of 150+ resumes already so advertising for more seemed pointless.

Actual job requirements depended on a large variety of factors including insurance, cost of training/hire, customer, complexity, and more.

We also found that many high time pilots were too inflexible in their ways to be employable. It is not always a matter of skill. Our company operations manual stipulated minimum weather limits for jobs, as well as other restrictions, that many of these pilots seemed incapable of adhering to.

They were not employed any further and the tendency was to look for mid-experience when hiring.

Best of luck to all...

Sheep Guts
4th Sep 2003, 00:06
Thanks 404 you have cleared that up for me and other I suspect. Its just the pecularities of Cairns as opposed to the Darwin different environs, clients, media etc.

Take care
Regards
Sheep