PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in Nepal?

VanderVlietm
29th Aug 2003, 06:28
Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows about many job oppotunities in Nepal. I am looking at small charter work, scenic flying.

I am currently training in New Zealand just finishing off my Multi IR and CPL.

I should have around 300hrs when i finish in November.

I have Nepalese citezenship so i guess that helps.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

middlepath
29th Aug 2003, 20:45
situatin in nepal is deterioting day by day due to maoist problem and corruption. many smaller airlines seems to be getting bust. you are better off putting your effort elswhere.

himalaya
30th Aug 2003, 20:00
hi,
I have been flying in Nepal for last 6 years. Although the situation in rural Nepal is not so good after the failed dialog between govt' and the maoist rebel, for pilots like us, its not at all bad.
If you have Nepalese citizenship, upon completion of your CPL license conversion written exam and AIP Nepal exam you shouldn't have any problem finding a job. Mark my word you will not have to remain unemployed if you come to Nepal right now. Yes, it may be difficult if Necon Air declares Bankrupt.

The pay is comfortable for Newbbies like you and after you become a captain, you should be drawing something between US$1500 to US$ 2900 which is very good and you could live lavishly on that.

cheers,

himalaya:D

VanderVlietm
31st Aug 2003, 06:12
hi,

thanks himilaya. whats the cpl conversion like? what sort of flying are you doing at the moment?

I guess the best thing to do is to go door knocking in Nepal once i have finised everything here.

Would you be able to tell me some names of some operators out there at the moment?

Thanks again,

:O

Gravox
1st Sep 2003, 18:35
Himalaya you state that if you have citizenship you should be able to find a job. Do you have to be a local for a chance to become employeed or do the companies hir expats? Do you need time on type to be considered for employment.

I have always wanted to fly outside of Australia, and Nepal would be amazing. It always appears greener on the other side.

Cheers

himalaya
10th Sep 2003, 20:19
It's very much easier to get job if you have citizenship. However, you may be able to find a job (as an expat) if a company is in need of type rated pilots. The company normally takes care of work permit in such cases. About 2 years back there were Australians, French, Americans, Indians flying in different domestic Airlines. At the moment I see only a few Indian pilots.
I would suggest you to be in touch with the Domestic Airlines once in a while. Most of the times jobs are not advertised.

cheers,

himalaya

Just to adda few more points, Presently Budda air, Cosmic air, Skyline air, Grokha air, Yeti air, Shangrila air are operating Beech 1900c,d, Do228, Dhc 6, Saab 340 A etc.

The CPL conversion exam is 2 hours written multiple choice exam which covers pretty much every thing from Aerodynamics to Met, all the basic things.

middlepath
18th Sep 2003, 05:11
why someone is looking for a job in Nepal while there are better places to look for, just wondering. Situation at present is quite unplesent.

squire
23rd Sep 2003, 09:08
Gotta say that Nepal would be a great place to live and I do not understand MPs perspective at all. Himalaya do you need the type rating and what hours do they require?You say they welcome new guys? I dont think the maoists are after expats and where are people better off putting there efforts MP sounds like you are just trying to keep out the competition................I could be wrong ..........................its happened before:}

himalaya
26th Sep 2003, 11:52
Hi guys ! If they have vacancy they would take a guy with type rating and preferebly with some experience. But they normally do not take in a newbee with just 250 hours and no type rating unless he/she is a Nepalese National. BTW there is not a single Nepalese pilot that is unemployed at the moment. So you can see how well it is going for the pilots in nepal right now.

To Middle Path : I just dont know what you are trying to accomplish by posting negative comments about Nepal and situation in Nepal. I was born and brought up in nepal. I work in Nepal. I live a comfortable life with the pay that I recieve being a pilot in Nepal. I have not had any problems with the maoists. I have no idea where you are from and why you keep posting these negative comments. Yes the counrty is going through problems right now but in reality its not as bad as what you are trying to make it look like. So please do not say things that are far from truth and misleading.

middlepath
27th Sep 2003, 15:58
I am not trying to be negetive about Nepal or Nepalese. All I am doing is to give a situational awareness to those who has no previous experience of developing countries-aviation career and basic infrastucre. Yes, fully agree for locals to be content with what you get, because there is no alternatives. Expats are in diffrent situation, they are used to health care, pension, career progression to bigger fleet and living conditions and other minor stuff which they take it for granted. It all depends on individual interest and expectation. I spent half of my career in developing countries and now in developed countries. If I only would have spent the previous half in developed countries , that would have brought me in same level of benefits my counterparts are already enjoying. All I have earned did not last long when exchanged to $ in free market, all I got was wear and tear from heat,malaria, hepatitis, cronic abdominal problem ect.ect. I am just telling what I have experienced, its not being negative or positive.You may be lucky and have wonderful time. Every individual has freedom of expression and freedom of choice. Good luck to wanabees.

himalaya
28th Sep 2003, 12:44
"I am not trying to be negetive about Nepal or Nepalese. All I am doing is to give a situational awareness to those who has no previous experience of developing countries-aviation career and basic infrastucre."

Things have changed alot in last few years. Nepal now has over 21 different Airlines from the single RNAC few years back. Some are still here and some are gone. But life for a pilot is not the same as it was 10 or 20 years back.

"Yes, fully agree for locals to be content with what you get, because there is no alternatives."

I do not agree with you on this as I chose to be a pilot not because I didn't have any other choice. I chose to remain in nepal although i had got opportunities to live in other countries.I was working as a software engineer before I decided to pursue my childhood dream of becoming a pilot. I am here today by my own choice.

"Expats are in diffrent situation, they are used to health care, pension, career progression to bigger fleet and living conditions and other minor stuff which they take it for granted. It all depends on individual interest and expectation."

I agree with you "it all depends on individual interest and expectations". May be other expats would love to fly in nepal as their stepping stone towards bigger machines else where.

"I spent half of my career in developing countries and now in developed countries. If I only would have spent the previous half in developed countries , that would have brought me in same level of benefits my counterparts are already enjoying. All I have earned did not last long when exchanged to $ in free market, all I got was wear and tear from heat,malaria, hepatitis, cronic abdominal problem ect.ect."

Sorry to hear about your experience. But again things have changed much (aviation field) in developing countries atleast in vietnam, nepal etc. And it all differs from individual to individual. Some may like banana and some may like orange.

I am just telling what I have experienced, its not being negative or positive.You may be lucky and have wonderful time. Every individual has freedom of expression and freedom of choice. Good luck to wanabees.

Fully agree with you everyone has freedom of expression and freedom of choice. Good Day & Happy Landings

[

3BSKY
29th Sep 2003, 15:19
Hello,

I flew in Nepal for only one year (Beech 1900), it was too short, I wish I could have stay longer. Wonderfull country, great people, amasing flights ... I have another opportunity I would go again, and for pilots around if you want to look for a job you have to go and check, If you don't get it at least you will have a good time.Himalaya, who do you fly for ? I was there for Mountain Air.
Happy Landings.

himalaya
30th Sep 2003, 20:14
Hi 3Bsky,

Namaste !

Its good to know about you positive experience flying in Nepal. The mountain air Aircraft used to look so sexy. Unfortunately mountain Air is no longer there (mismanagement). All the 1900C's are now taken over by Buddha Air.

I fly DHC-6/300. Its being replaced with DO-228 slowly. Flying is still fun specially when the good weather is around the corner. Where do you fly now ?

Happy Landings,

himalaya.:O