PDA

View Full Version : Delta and Air France Cancel Tel Aviv Flights After Bombing

Airbubba
4th Jun 2001, 04:29
Two airlines cancel flights in wake of bombing

June 3, 2001 Posted: 7:42 PM EDT (2342 GMT)

ATLANTA, Georgia -- Two major airlines, Delta and Air France, canceled their regular flights to Tel Aviv following Friday night's suicide bombing of a nightclub near the city that killed 20 people, according to Reuters news service.

Delta Airlines Delta spokeswoman Kristi Tucker told CNN that concerns about safety led to the decision to cancel its new Flight 96 from JFK International Airport in New York to Tel Aviv for Saturday and Sunday. Flight 97 from Tel Aviv to JFK was canceled Sunday and Monday.

"We felt for the safety of our passengers, it was the right thing to do," Tucker said.

Flight 96 will resume normal service Monday and Flight 97 will resume service Tuesday, she said.

Air France likewise cited security concerns in canceling its Paris-Tel Aviv flights Saturday through Monday morning, according to Reuters.

Meanwhile, Israeli Transportation Minister Ephraim Sneh told Reuters he was ordering an investigation into the cancellations.

"There are absolutely no security related reasons to cancel flights to Israel," Sneh said. "We are demanding an explanation from the airlines."

A ministry aide told Reuters a legal investigation would be launched into the cancellations. They may be a violation of the airlines' licenses to provide daily service. In extreme cases, licenses can be revoked, the aide said.

Air France said the bombing took place outside the hotel where its crews stay in the resort area of Tel Aviv.

"The changes that were made in the flight schedule are without a doubt causing discomfort to passengers and significant losses to the company," Air France said in a statement reported by Reuters, "and the company intends to do all that can be done to return to a regular schedule."

Israel's tourism industry has suffered a dramatic slump since the onset of violence last September.

One traveler in Atlanta told CNN on Sunday she canceled plans to travel to Israel as soon as she heard about the bombing. Adi Zaionit, an optometrist, had just finished making hotel preparations for the trip. Now she is putting it off indefinitely.

Born and raised in Israel, Zaionit said she was stunned to learn the attack occurred near in an area frequented by young people.

"I thought, that could have been me -- going out to a club on a Friday night in Tel Aviv," Zaionit said. "I saw [on the news] images of girls' summer sandals poking out from black body bags ... it was chilling."

She said she had looked forward to getting reacquainted with the country she left 12 years ago. But after speaking to relatives in Israel, she said she feels she made the right decision.

"After so long, I didn't want to go back with the country in this state," Zaionit said. "People live in fear and terror, they don't step out to the street. The morale is very gloomy. I've waited this long to go, I can wait longer."

Another traveler, 22-year-old Talli Asias, an Israeli college student at a university in Atlanta, said she had no intention of canceling her plans to fly to Tel Aviv Sunday via Zurich on Swissair.

"I've been planning this trip for months now and I've no plans to cancel," she said. "I know the situation is not as bad as it seems."

Asias did say, however, she is concerned about taking her boyfriend Anders Petersen because she feels "responsible" for him.

Petersen said he was under some pressure by his family in Denmark to cancel the couple's trip. "They are worried," he said. "But the recent events haven't changed my motivation for going there, even though I know the atmosphere will be different."

"I am an Israeli. I have a right to go there. If I don't go, they'll win," Asias said, referring to the perpetrators of the bombing.

CNN Associate Editor Dana Rosenblatt contributed to this report

Airbubba
6th Jun 2001, 00:34
Now UPS has decided that TLV is too dangerous even for freighters these days...

UPS Halts Its Cargo Flights to Israel

Reuters
Tuesday, June 5, 2001; 12:08 PM

MIAMI—United Parcel Service Inc. , the No. 1 U.S. package delivery service, has indefinitely suspended flights of its jets to Israel because of political violence there, a UPS spokesman said Tuesday.

UPS said it would continue to deliver packages to Israel but would be using cargo space on common carriers such as airlines in place of its own chocolate-brown jets, according to spokesman John Flick.

The Atlanta-based company normally sends its own planes to Tel Aviv six days each week, often carrying packages for Israel's electronics companies, but was now worried about the safety of its crews, Flick said.

"Yesterday was the first day we stopped flying there. Like others, we are evaluating the situation daily. We are concerned for the safety of our crews," Flick said.

Delta Air Lines Inc., the U.S. carrier that just began service from New York to Israel, and Air France suspended flights over the weekend after a suicide bombing Friday killed 21 people at a Tel Aviv dance club.

At least 450 Palestinians, 110 Israelis and 13 Israeli Arabs have died in violence that erupted in September in a Palestinian uprising against Israeli occupation.

Flick said UPS, with about 359,000 workers in more than 200 countries, had suspended some delivery services in the Balkans during the wars there in the 1990s.

Brad737
8th Jun 2001, 00:16
Their little corner of the world is crumbling beneath their feet and they're upset because we don't want to play. Although I'll admit, we should be used to shootings and bombings over here(U.S.). I just think Isreal is in no position to question anyones decisions regarding service to "war zones".