PDA

View Full Version : EDI ground controll

Lucky Angel
28th Aug 2003, 18:41
I went to EDI last week and although there was alot of space for me to park on stand the controller didnt let us go on stand until the a/c from 3 stands down the road taxied away? Why are controllers in EDI like that? I s there a reason behind it i should know about. We were going on 7 or 8 i think and the a/c pushed from the corner. Loads of space and nothing else going in or out.

Spitoon
29th Aug 2003, 00:50
Maybe he/she was concerned that you might get blown away.

redadair
29th Aug 2003, 02:26
not surprised.

Have been operating out of EDI for a few years now. Am often confused by the logic they use when giving out certain instructions.
The approach/scottish (121.2/126.3) relationship can sometimes leave you feeling a little annoyed.
the thing is, however, the controllers are able to use only those resources available AND within airfield authority rules.
Would appreciate a quick explanation of the reason for the odd instructions they sometimes give though. Wouldn't take a sec to say.

29th Aug 2003, 03:12
radadair is quite correct; GMC at EDI is constrained mainly by two things - a distinct lack of concrete and the restrictions placed upon it by the airport operator. You really need to speak to BAA about those - they do have their reasons!

Also, because certain airlines insist on using only certain stands for certain flights (and then change their minds all the time) you may find that you often end up on stand as soon as GMC know where you're finally headed.

Why not pop over one day and sit in for a while?

Take up the Hold
29th Aug 2003, 05:55
Redadair

What instructions do you find odd/confusing.
If we know we can probably give an explanation.

PF

NudgingSteel
1st Sep 2003, 08:16
Can't speak for the incident in question, however 1261 is correct that stand allocation at EDI is tied up between BAA and the airlines, who usually request their preferred stands; this is then sorted out if possible by BAA with stuff like security (get the gates open at the right time), fuel and other handling as required, etc etc. Often airlines have their staff and equipment in situ and prefer to hold a company a/c for a few minutes for one stand, rather than move all the ground stuff across the apron.

I'm sure the following holds true for most airports but particularly those with limited taxiways or apron space - the longer an aircraft holds on the taxiway awaiting a stand, the more of a problem it causes GMC and everything behind it, so rest assured that the quicker ATC can get you parked, out of the way, and off frequency, the easier their job is!

Redadair - any specific queries about apparently odd ATC procedures anywhere, then this is the forum for them (as long as it's not security sensitive, of course!)