PDA

View Full Version : Controlling BP With Aubergines

FEBA
28th Aug 2003, 15:34
Last night on the box a gentleman claimed that aubergines were good for "the blood pressure".
Is there any truth to this claim? If there is I will start to eat the disgusting tasteless things.
Any good recipes anyone?
Many thanks
FEBA

Circuit Basher
28th Aug 2003, 17:26
The only recipe I've ever tried with aubergines is Moussaka, which is very tasty!

Other ones that can be done are stir fries, stuffed aubergines, etc - a Web search just found this site for aubergine recipes (http://ashycook.topcities.com/auberginelink.htm).

No knowledge of their effect on BP, however!

expedite_climb
28th Aug 2003, 17:35
The chap also proclaimed that the reason he was very overweight was because the rest of his family was, and it was genetic. It cant be his food because he only eats healthy 'organic' food.

Next shot was of him with a cup of tea and a chocolate cake. That was ok though as it was a low fat cake, and chocolate is good for something or other. Jeezzzz, that guy could justify bigamy to the pope !

FEBA
28th Aug 2003, 18:46
Nothing wrong with bigamy as long as you don't get caught. It's effects on BP however are not good.
Trying not to stray and noting that the fat guy on box may not be a creditable source of information, there may be something to his claims, old wives tale etc etc. Can this claim be substantiated.
FEBA
Thanks for the recipes by the way

ausdoc
29th Aug 2003, 05:34
Body weight (or Body Mass Index - BMI) does have a relationship with blood pressure, but I don't think the guy on TV can blame his weight entirely on his genes. Metabolic rate undoubtedly has some genetic basis, but if you burn more energy than you eat, then you must lose weight. There is no way around that. As an old teacher of mine used to say, "There were no fat people in concentration camps".