PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got a spare bomb casing, small drop tank, combustion can.... ?

Genghis the Engineer
28th Aug 2003, 15:11
I hope I'll be allowed a short begging post in a good cause.

I've found myself on the inaugural committee of a new branch of the Royal Aeronautical Society. Once we're up and running, as most of you probably know, the main objective is to run interesting and educational lectures on as many aeronautical topics as we can find speakers.

There are various ways in which we might defray the costs of these, but what we're intending is just to put a contributions box by the door and hope that we get enough contributions each time to cover speakers expenses, tea and biscuits, etc - the usual stuff.

Now we could just go and buy a cash box, but it would be really nice to have something interestingly aeronautical - which really means something hollow, not too large, and clearly with an aeronautical use. We've looked around, bu can't at the moment find anything suitable. So, my begging question is - does anybody else have anything that might, with a bit of tweaking, fill the function that they'd be happy to give away to a good cause?

G

SPIT
29th Aug 2003, 01:41
HI Genghis

I recovered a 28lb prac bomb from the ranges at RAF Pembrey in the 8os. After refurbishing it to as new it was kept at 7F Sqdr ATC in Aigburth Road, Liverpool 17. I think if you contact the CO (who's name now I dont know but I think it is F/L Dave Wells ) I am sure he would let you use it for demos.
PS You should have seen the faces at Lime St Station when I returned carrying TWO bombs on my shoulder.
All the Best
Hope this helps
Spit:ok: :ok:

paulc
29th Aug 2003, 19:28
Hi Genghis,

I will have a look in our hangar tomorrow - (Lee-on-Solent)
there may be something from the PBY that could be of interest

rgds
Paulc

Vfrpilotpb
4th Sep 2003, 16:47
Hi Genghis,

I have a few things one of which is the supercharger plate/turbine thingy from the Alivs Leonides, somewhere I also have a nearly full sectioned engine(Alvis) from RAF Halton, and some allegedly Wooden Spit Blades, plus some nice Aloominum Blades I think from a Sea Heron?

Peter R-B

Onan the Clumsy
6th Sep 2003, 01:21
Looking for a bomb?

Try my career :(

Genghis the Engineer
6th Sep 2003, 01:50
Thanks to PaulC for the kind offer by Email, which sounds just what we're after if your historic group don't mind. VFR - can I call you back?

G

Vfrpilotpb
6th Sep 2003, 02:44
Genghis,

Of course you can:ok:
P R-B