PDA

View Full Version : Lucky escape

Heliport
28th Aug 2003, 07:31
from Ananova
Helicopter dragged trapped firefighter 500 metres into the air

An Austrian firefighter was dragged 500 metres into the air after trapping his hand in a water tank on a helicopter.

Werner Seidl was fighting a forest fire in Greith with 30 other firemen when the accident happened. He was trying to manoeuvre the 600 litre water tank hanging from a low-flying helicopter into place.

"The air pressure from the rotor blades pushed me against the tank," he told the Kleine Zeitung. "And just as I stretched out my hands to push myself from it, the pilot closed the automatic tank lock and four of my right-hand fingers got stuck in it."

The helicopter took off, and Mr Seidl was left hanging 500 metres above the ground by his fingers.
It took some time until the pilot noticed people on the ground waving and pointing to let him know something was wrong.

Mr Seidl was taken to hospital to have his hand injuries treated, though doctors couldn't yet say whether anything was broken because the swelling was so heavy.

Seidl, who is now receiving psychological help, says he hasn't had a moment's rest since the event.
"I always considered myself one of the tough guys," he told the paper. "But I haven't been able to sleep since."

Vfrpilotpb
28th Aug 2003, 18:45
Finger trouble!!:ooh:

straitman
28th Aug 2003, 19:36
:E Definitely!:ouch:

RW-1
28th Aug 2003, 23:24
Along those lines ....

How many of you still wear rings while around, preflighting, etc. ?

I do not, as finger avulsion due to the possibilities of the ring catching on something if I lost balance/fell, etc. are too much to bear.

Twisted Rigging
29th Aug 2003, 00:38
RW-1

Best leave off the big chunky wristwatch too :hmm: