PDA

View Full Version : Rude Operators on 126.9

TurbineTank
28th Aug 2003, 02:51
There is a certain South African operator using Banderanties in Malabu.Unfortuenately I was embarresed to share the same skys as these guys the other day.
Between 2 planes they used 126.9 as a chat frequency and used the most horrific swear words that put a Jerry Springer show to shame.When a East european agitated pilot on air asked them to please refrain from using 126.9,they swore at him and continued to chatter.
I think aviation can do without these trailer park Topgun wannabes.Its sad that they also drag the South African name through the mud.

Am very disappointed,wont be relaying for them any time soon...:hmm:

Airforce1
28th Aug 2003, 03:11
Ja, Real poor show.
I believe one of the culprits is a certain xxxxx :mad: ,(I will keep his surname out for his own sake).Apparently the palooka gave it out on air inbetween his foulmouthing.
Latest is that CAA got a complaint sent to them,hmmmm
What winners:ok: .......NOT!

helldog
28th Aug 2003, 11:38
Those Europeans can be a bit rude too. A while back I was over 200nm out to sea and wanted to get an ops normal call to Dar control. So we asked Air France to relay, and they basically told us to ****** off. I thought that was rude.

Anyone had similar with Air France? Maybe its some company policy or something.

Cheers

dog

BadAndy
31st Aug 2003, 20:55
Hey TurbineTank, you ever have a bad day? You ever get a bit worked up over anything. You ever just feel the need to vent about it? You ever accidently turn off your brain and say something you probably shouldn't on the radio? I know I sure have. If not, well, I don't believe you...

What is your reasoning for coming on here and bashing these guys? Do you have a legit reason, or are you just a pr!ck hoping to stir the pot and give a couple of guys a bad rap? Or, do you figure you can eliminate some of the competition for a job down the road? Or are you just tryin g to give that certain company a bad name in that area? Why are you on such a high horse?

I was in Malabo for almost a year (different company and different a/c, so it wasn't me on the radio...), and some of my closest friend were those guys. I spent many-a-night with the Playstation and a bottle of brandy with those guys you called "trailer-park topgun wannabees". They are just as good pilots as the rest of us, and just as professional.

Finally, for you to say that you "won't be relaying for them anytime soon" is unprofessional and far more unsafe then cluttering up 126.9. That is the type of unprofessional, arrogant, anti-CRM attitude that I hope to never share the flight deck with...

....Off my soapbox now.....

4HolerPoler
31st Aug 2003, 21:42
Sounds like you just had a bad day Andy. Chill bro.

This thread ain't going anywhere fast.

4HP

4granted
1st Sep 2003, 01:03
Bad Andy
126.9 is a very important freq for us out there flyers. It is not a chat frequency. I say again it is not a chat frequency! Personally its like an unmanned Radar frequency to us.
Why dont they just do like all the others and get a "Go Company" frequency? Easy enough Id think.
There they can swear and talk Kuk to their hearts content but I hope they are looking out the window though; if they havent got TCAS....

:*
4g

planecrazi
1st Sep 2003, 03:07
If your mates are having a bad day, invite them to shout it out on your playstation, not everyone wants to hear about their bad day on 126.9. I haven't found the referal in the Jeppessen regarding venting a "Bad Day" on 126.9.

I honestly dont' believe that they are as professional as the rest of the flying world is, as you say.

I can't say when last I heard someone vent their anger over 126.9, mind you, having spent 8 of the last 12 flying hours today on 126.9 inbound from Europe crossing as many as 8 international FIR's from Malta, weekly.

It is far better to listen some guys battling with there honest position calls in their broken english, than some guys venting there anguish on 126.9.

Go back to the playstation and have a great evening:D

Jacobest
1st Sep 2003, 06:27
Hello Turbine Tank
Funny how quick one moans about how some other people operate on the radio and, of course, you guys are always the prime example of how to operate on the radio. Funny that, when I was flying for that exact same company out of Malabo (notice how I spell it right) you guys always used to swear at the ATC's in Douala in Afrikaans, calling them stupid "K*ffirs" and "dom K*nte" because they always made you stay at a higher Altitude coming in from Libreville while we were going out to Bata.
Although I do not condone such action, I feel that if you have a complaint about these things, there are different ways to go about it. The pilot in question has now been suspended and his radio license has also been taken away. NICE GOING. You just cost him his job. Now I will do you guys the same favour.
I will also go to DCA and lodge a formal complaint about how you operate on the radio and I hope from the bottom of my heart that, if not you, at least some other people in your company gets the same treatment as Chris ......... did. You see, I also have some names.
So go on. Like the saying goes "N**I jou maaitjie":ok:

freightboss
1st Sep 2003, 12:22
Being an Afrikaans speaking South African pilot (most of us can be identified in jiffy due to our accents) in West Africa, is becoming much like driving a BMW - what a great car, but man do the other a@#$holes that also drive BMW's make your name totally tottie.

If a pilot does not have the common courtesy to get off a frequency that is used for safety reasons, he should be taken to task.

If that guy thinks that because he is Afrikaans speaking and cannot be understood by most French/Russian/Nigerian-english, etc speaking ATC's and pilots, it still does not give him the right to swear at them in Afrikaans.

All that is going to happen, these aspects will be remembered and if you know WA as well as I do, you'll know that once you have pissed off an ATC, he'll put you on the "just wait till i get you on my frequency" list.

Furthermore, it is a bad reflection on the operator, as the pilot is a representative of the operator. Who is going to take the responsibility if this gets to the oil company (who are the client of this specific operator), and they decide that due to the poor manners of this pilot (who by implication also represent them) they cancel or do not renew the contract.

This means that the operator has no positions for those pilots and they could well lose their work.

If I was the operator, I would have done the same, as a goodwill towards South African operators is hard won in West Africa. Why allow one guy to destroy all this?

So, Jacobest, If you know the names of those pilots, pass them onto the operator, with a full description of the events, because this what happened in your maatjie's case. The operator took the steps that he felt were necessary, not any other pilot from any other company or operator.

So if you fly in WA, and would like to chat, keep it clean and do not use 126.9.....

BadAndy
1st Sep 2003, 18:25
4 Granted,

I agree with you a 100% that it isn't a chat frequency. There are far better ways (we actually used fingers 123.45 while I was there for that) to vent. No doubt. My point isn't to defend these guys behaviour as correct, but rather to point out that there are far better ways to deal with the situation then smearing their names on a message board, or even worse calling the CAA on them. To me, that is a chicken$hit thing to do, without at least confronting them about it first.

Planecrazi,

That's okay if you disagree with my belief that they are as professional as the rest of us. That's what's so great about this being a free world (for the most part). But, I still believe that anyone of us can have a bad day and do something stupid (whether it is in the plane, on the ground, or over the radio). It can happen... And, maybe a little understanding as to why these things happen instead of immediately making ourselves the "sherrif" can help rectify the problem a lot quicker. But, what do I know, I'm based in a place where we (for the most part) hate and fear the FAA, and believe that no good can ever come from screwing over a fellow pilot for his mistakes...

As for the Playstation, it's upgraded to an XBox now that we escaped from West Africa to the far more "civilized" Middle East... :D

Jacobest
2nd Sep 2003, 16:36
Hello guys
Just a quick update on this fascinating thread. It would appear that there is more to this than meets the eye.
Like the old saying goes: "IT TAKES TWO TO TANGO"

While blabbermouth Turbine Tank was very quick to run to the authorities and his company to expose this whole unfortunate situation, he forgot to mention that he was also swearing on that very same freq. which is now such a hot debate. You know, I thought that pprune was a forum to discuss issues and events. Not a place to tell half-truths and smear pilots names all over the board.

Just thought you all should know. Maybe its time that blabbermouth and xxxxx should come out and each tell their story of what really happened so that this thread can be put to rest.

So how about it Blabby, ready to tell the whole truth?

V2+a little
2nd Sep 2003, 21:35
Jacobest,

I happened to hear the whole saga on 126.9 about a week and a half ago, and I can assure you many others did too. There was nobody else talking on that freq at the time apart from the two AC FROM THE SAME COMPANY. So where ever you got your info from, it is defenatly wrong mate! I know that there were also a couple of reports on this incedent, is everyone lying?? Get your facts straight before you go and accuse anybody about telling half truths. Pilots like this give all us South African a bad name in the region.

Goffel
3rd Sep 2003, 02:57
Well Mr xxxxx who flies a Red and White ATR that carries freight all over West Africa.

Don't you think it is time that you thought back to the conversation you and your maaitjies were having on 120.20 re "whose those F..... C......" on the 21st.

Oops.mistake there,hey.Thought you were the only one's that listen in on 120.20.

Thats also an open frequency now days.

I think half the pilots in WA have worked for the company you work for,so all now listen on that freq for the dirty jokes and racist slander that goes on.

It does not matter that your company has the useage of the freq,it is also under the same Radio Regs.(maybe I am wrong there,but I dont think so).

Yes as Jacobest says,come out from under the rug you are hiding and tell everyone the truth.
Can you honestly identify each and every person that swore on the radio.

Can you back up all your claims.I certainly hope you have a voice recorder on your ATR that only records what you want it to hear.
Otherwise I think you might just have the biggest legal problem that you have ever had in you short little life.

The thing you did not bother to find out is if your conversation was recorded.

You also forgot that there are some guys that you work with who do not like you and have now come forward with the truth.(It pays to brag a lot)

At the end of the day,all the things that you accused the guy of,you definitely better have proof.

All the one guy was trying to do was send a relay for another fellow pilot as the Douala freq was so full that no-one could get a word in,that is how they ended up on 126.9.No other reason,and yes they did talk a little longer than neccessary and yes they were asked to find another freq to chat on.

But as far as swearing at the Russians that the Bandit pilots work hand in hand with,I somehow dont think so,especially as the guy had just told the other pilot his first name and surname and the company he worked for.

Do you honestly think that guy is now straight after mentioning his name and company is going to swear at everyone.(believe that and you believe in the tooth fairy).

You see xxxxx I was also there,as was a lot of other people chirping on the freq at the same time.

In fact I am so sure of my facts that I have no problem in also telling you that person that you are trying to slander is me.

It is just a pity that you forgot mention about you ATR guys swearing (definitely) on 120.20.
Yes I did make a comment in Afrikaans when the one guy slandered South Africans.

(He said F.... South Africans - I retaliated in Afrikaans and for that chirp I am sorry).

But as far as the rest of the things that you wrote about,No I did not swear like you said I did and nor did I ever slander you or the company you work for in the conversation.

Yes there was someone swearing 126.9,I do agree,I too would like to know who,but besides my Afrikaans chirp it was not me.

As much as I would like to curse at some people,I am unable to as we are carrying passangers and they are able hear nearly every word we say,unfortunately,in this case fortunately.

TurbineTank
3rd Sep 2003, 20:32
This is turning out to be a pissing contest here.
Just to lay things straight Badandy/Jacobest and the boys,sure I started this thread,but I have not been involved with any reporting to CAA for complaints.You FORGET it was HIS operater who intially reported him to the CAA.There were 3 complaints that day from different companys.DHL being the last I believe.Now some cheap shots at some DHL crew are being taken.You also forget there are more then just ATR's flying overhead.

And Jacobest,spare me the drama of my intentions to get some job out of this....,thats the last thing I need.

clipboard
4th Sep 2003, 16:27
:(
I really cannot understand why South African pilots always have to go for each other the way they do? It sucks.:yuk: One upmanship, this one is better than the other, that one is an @rse etc.

Having read this thread, and speaking personally to the accused, it is clear that a couple of guys here are trying to redicule the accused on this thread. Come on guys, leave all the sh1t behind and get on with keeping the skies safe. Don't burn bridges guys!Who knows, one day you guys may need each other in an emergency.

Leave the Operator to deal with this matter internally, and let them be the judge.

BAKELA
4th Sep 2003, 16:37
Daar het julle dit nou!:uhoh:

Daddy Clipboard has spoken to you so please stop the sh:mad:t now. :E

Flutterbug
6th Sep 2003, 20:00
Well said Sir Clipboard

We should stand together a little more and there has been enough slander on this page!!

We've all learnt from this page, do not swear on the radio, not even on your company frequency!! I'm sure the gentleman in question is in enough trouble already and might lose his job, maybe he has a family to feed, and how will he do this now??

We are all human we all make mistakes, so please boys, forgive all the boys who have made mistakes, I'm sure that you would like someone else to forgive you if you make a mistake!!

I hope this is the last post on this topic, someone should start a new one that targets our bosses so we can all skinner together instead of targeting each other as pilots and gentleman!

Aginnintonnixadaykeepsadoctaaway

swish266
8th Sep 2003, 03:43
Pros don't abuse 126.9. They know it's their arses on the line over Sudan.
Bush pilots don't have a clue, they probably don't even know what TCAS is...
Whoever takes up AF to divert attention is even worse. Try getting a french ATPL...
BMW drivers, m so sorry for you...

Helldog:
As to the French they are Gentlemen like all of us if not better. Yes, they push for levels, but who doesn't? I would rather say South Africans find it very hard to understand English with French accent. Probably the poor Frenchies were trying to help...

yesteyareupnow
10th Sep 2003, 10:21
Guys It seems like everybody is missing the point. Goffel sorry for you mate, we have all made mistakes - Trust me!! Not everybody has called somebody a rusky P**s on the radio though. There has to be a certain amount of profesionalism on the freq. You might have your knukkles rapped and on you go. I dont think it is a case of sticking together chaps - it is just manners!! You guys forgotten what that is??

As far as the DHL company freq goes I have some to say as well. You are right that it belongs to the normal freq band, and is governed by the normal rules - but...... It is a dissused freq in West Africa (go look for it goff my mate). You may not talk on numbers if that is the rules you apply! If you know the freq, welcome to the chat, but it is not meant for your ears - Nothing to hide there.

As far as allegations about guys calling peaple *******from Solenta, I have not heard it, and would take offence to it if I did. You seem to be caught pants down and wanting! As far as xxxxxxx goes, I dont know him nearly as well as I would like, but he does make a good impression and seems to have some class..

:{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{

Jetdriver
10th Sep 2003, 11:23
Ok ladies & gentlemen,

A quick reminder of the rules relating to the use of names. If the name is in the public domain it may be permissable to quote it. However it most certainly is not permissable to identify an individual in most other circumstances. The one exception may be when using the appropriate forum to search for a person.

Without wishing to delve too deeply into the subject, the basic rule is one of common sense. If in doubt don't !

I have corrected the thread to leave it running but I note that 4HP has issued one warning on this subject. This will be the last !