PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Flight Planing Help!!

Topper H
27th Aug 2003, 18:43
HI Guys/Girls just wondering if anybody could offer any advise were to get some help with OZ atp FP, I self stuided the other six and got through them but can't seem to crack FP, been to AFT twice and stuided my ass off but still F@#$!@ it up herd there's a guy down at coff's is pretty good
cheers

gossmann
27th Aug 2003, 18:59
Topper,

If you can't pass with Nathan's help then I suggest give up. That man is a legend.

Goss.

Mr. Hat
27th Aug 2003, 19:37
Topper - go over Nathans notes again and give it another go. I had similar problems and in the end I got it. A great feeling.

The best tip from nathan was to go for the big whiz wheel - do you have one?

404 Titan
27th Aug 2003, 21:10
Topper H

ATPL Subjects in Australia and for that matter around the world are not an exam of aviation knowledge. They are a test of exam technique. Answer the questions you know and if you have time then have a go at those you couldn’t. Nathan would have spent considerable time teaching you not only what you need to know for the exam, but handy exam techniques. Try going back and looking at what he said. His knowledge of the system is priceless. When you think you have it, give it another go. Good luck.

:ok:

ITCZ
28th Aug 2003, 00:25
Mate, if you are not getting through with nathan's help, time to take a break and do some self analysis.

Ring nathan and ask him, honestly, what HE thinks is holding you back.

Be prepared to listen, and accept what he says.

Then be prepared to go back, throw out all your thoughts about how good you are or how much study it will take, and concentrate on what Nathan said.

Then put off EVERYTHING in your life that could take some/any of your attention away from your primary objective, which is passing that exam.

Then do nothing for three weeks, except eat, sleep, study and do practice exams [maybe one or two walks on the sunshine coast beach is permitted!]. Do sixteen practice exams before you attempt the real thing. Not three. Not four. Sixteen.

Like everyone else is hinting at, it is not about being a genius. It is 5% inspiration, 95% perspiration.

Tune in to Nathan. Listen to what he says. Don't go looking for answers elsewhere. It is something YOU are doing/not doing.

Good luck

ITCZ

emeritus
31st Aug 2003, 16:53
Topper..the FP exam is based on speed v accuracy..or it was when I passed it nearly 40 years ago. I was told by the examiner of the day (who must have been the most unpopular person on the planet around the RVAC )that the problem with most candidates was that he could not follow the reasoning behind the answers and if they had made a basic error he could not award marks for method.

I resolved to make sure that I stated what I was caculating and showed my caculations on the side. This paid off as I made a mistake in one section using TAS instead of GS. Having realised my mistake later on ( the wrong info had corrupted all my future answers)and not having the time to correct, I simply wrote a note on the paper stating the error, what I should have done and that

I had left the caculations as was. I subsequently made other errors in another question but still managed to get 93% indicating I lost few if any marks in this area.

The one thing you do not have in the exam is time and one should always cross check caculations with rough mental arithmatic.This was drummed into us by Bill Kennedy at RMIT who was a career navigator and in charge of Navigation with Ansett until his retirement...best of luck and I hope you enjoy your career as much as I did mine.
:ok:

Ash767
31st Aug 2003, 17:22
Topper

I too agree with all the advice as per the above posts, it is good advice. Nathan is a great help and will stick with you until you pass, he did with me.

My 20 cents worth is. Know your Company policy Very well. Know it well so that while you are reading a question you are eliminating or adding fuel requirements etc. Then you can launch into the question knowing exactly what you need to do. Time is an issue like emeritus said.

Ash767:ok:

FO Cokebottle
4th Sep 2003, 19:22
Get in contact with Wayne Tempaney down at RMIT Point Cook. Works as the Chief Ground Instructor there now (read latest ed of Australian Aviation). Anyway, I did my ATPL subjects with Wayne when he was freelancing. He uses the flight fuel plan method - very economical regarding time.

Hell!!!! I passed - now thats say'in somthing

Good luck

shaablamm
4th Sep 2003, 19:27
Topper,

I loved every bit of Nathans course except the flight planning. Sounds like I was in the same boat as you. I called Rob Avery and passed with 98%, which isn't bad for a stupid s#@t.

A different way of doing it but quicker and it is all about time in the end. I found it more practical in the real world to.

Good luck and NEVER give up.

europilot
6th Sep 2003, 13:50
topper,

as people said before... it is all about exam technique... not about knowing the 727...
I just recently got out of uni... and I was up to speed on how to speculate and what not to study for any exam... I got 70 % the first time... I know lucky, but who cares.....

go back again... and dont feel ashamed, I know a chick who went more than 4 times up there... and another guy who is twotter captain and he did it 3 times and only got 72%... you will get there, it's like getting your 1st job in this industry.. persistence is everything...