PDA

View Full Version : EI launch ORK-Alicante, Barcelona, Milan

MarkD
27th Aug 2003, 17:52
Jetmagic is obviously frightening Willie, who is obviously learning his dog in a manger ways from MOL.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=184&si=1035724&issue_id=9704

Aer Lingus launches new routes from Cork to Continent

THE battle for air supremacy on routes between Cork and the Continent is set to heat up significantly.

State carrier Aer Lingus announced yesterday that it will carry up to 1,000 passengers a week between Cork and the leisure destinations of Alicante, Barcelona and Milan.

The announcement of the six-flights-a-week schedule (which are on sale from now) drew an immediate response from Jetmagic, the independent airline which is on target to increase the frequency of its service to Alicante and Barcelona to five flights weekly from next year.

Aer Lingus pulled out of the loss-making Cork-Dublin route this summer and its new services to and from Cork were announced to Aer Lingus staff by chief executive Willie Walsh in Cork Airport yesterday. They complement the existing direct air service to Paris, Amsterdam, Malaga and Heathrow from the southern capital.

"I am delighted to announce these new routes and to reaffirm Aer Lingus' commitment to the Cork region," he said.

Mr Walsh said that Aer Lingus is the largest airline operating out of Cork and the new routes further strengthen that position.

However, Patrick Raftery, chief executive of Jetmagic, claimed that Aer Lingus, having already ceased its Cork to Dublin service, will need to reduce its services to Paris and Amsterdam to facilitate the new routes out of Cork.

BAe 146-100
27th Aug 2003, 18:13
Hi,

I went to Cork (ORK) a few months ago, its a really nice airport :ok:. I'm pleased that EI have opened up these new routes, they should do well.

BAe 146-100

akerosid
27th Aug 2003, 20:46
What's the story with EI and US routes? They abandoned the CPT route because (among other issues, such as crewing) they wanted to develop the US market. But what happens if nothing comes of the current negotiations. Will they (indeed, can they) launch new routes if there is no agreement.

That great impartial observer of all things stopover-related, the Clare Champion, reported that Seamus B. was close to reaching a deal with the US, which would remove the 50/50 rule, but (given recent ECJ case law), can be actually do this? If they don't get agreement on this, will EI simply open the routes regardless, or wait?

Finally, given the security situation in SA - declining, with very high crime rates - is CPT really the ideal place to be looking for their first non-US long haul route?

Tom the Tenor
28th Aug 2003, 03:04
This spring and summer EI must have lost a lot of money out of Cork on Oneworld connecting flights at LHR to places beyond with Jetmagic providing so many new direct flights. Even though many LHR flights are full yield must be away down for EI from ORK that Willy feels he needs to retaliate like this. Hardly original is it trying to scalp GX like this, though? From what I understand next March ORK-CDG with EI will go down to a 5 x 7 service and ORK-AMS will be one daily flight on an A320 rather than two on 4 x 7 like at present with 735s.

Jetmagic will need to protect themselves through all of this, of course, so is it retrench or expand? Off the top of my head there are some more new opportunities ex Cork that should work satisfactorily. Jetmagic, want to talk? :suspect:

Avman
29th Aug 2003, 00:09
"I am delighted to announce these new routes and to reaffirm Aer Lingus' commitment to the Cork region," he said.

:mad: ocks !! Aer Lingus don't care a :mad: about ORK but they don't like seing all those FULL Jetmagic flights to those destinations! I hope that the local population will see through the cr@p and continue to support their local airline! Otherwise, once Jetmagic have been eliminated, ORK will have bogger all again.

Tom the Tenor
29th Aug 2003, 02:33
Yes, must agree with you. EI's committment to Cork - that is a bit of joke all right! They showed their committment when they announced the dumping of the DUB service. What they are intending to do next year is an opportunistic unoriginality. Next thing is they will be doing a Prague!

I am sure Jetmagic can be flexible enough to work out new ideas over the winter period to be ready again for next summer's fun and frolics!

Support your own - fly Jetmagic! :ok:

BAe 146-100
29th Aug 2003, 03:34
Hi,

Anyone know what aircraft EI will use on the ORK-ALC route?

BAe 146-100

MarkD
29th Aug 2003, 04:27
146-100

I suspect a 735, though if a bunch of buses are leased as 4-hairdryer replacements that could change...

BAe 146-100
29th Aug 2003, 04:41
Hi,

Thanks MarkD. :ok:

BAe 146-100

Eh Hello?
29th Aug 2003, 23:26
Is this really a reaction to JM? It was inevitable that Cork would ultimately get a better range of direct European services from EI, given their current policy of splattering their network all over Europe wherever a profit can be made. JM had spare capacity because of the delay in LCY, saw the opportunity and went for it but I can't help thinking JM's continental schedule is a bit too patchwork with 3 per week services (EI's isn't much better on the new routes). This could all be academic if FR decides to pay Cork some attention soon.

Competition will always be JM's (and any regional jet operator's) achilles heel. The aircraft are great where demand just fits the aircraft size but, build up a route and it soon becomes attractive for the bigger jets with cheaper seat mile costs. The 135/145's are built for medium fare high frequency routes or routes supported by a major airline feeder franchise, not low frequency routes dependent on holding onto a monopoly. Hence the likes of Belfast - Cork and Cork - LCY fit in with JM's product and equipment. Shooting for the leisure market with expensive jets merely does the route proving for the bigger guys.

Anyhow, JM have no right to complain - aren't they launching Edinburgh in direct competition with Aer Arann after RE developed it and built up a strong Cork base? Don't tell me both airlines will still be there next year (jet vs turboprop = no brainer if the fares are the same).

Cyrano
30th Aug 2003, 00:02
:ok: Spot on, Eh Hello! You're dead right.

(Not a network planner or strategist by any chance, are you? :) )