PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft / Company Speed requirements

radar707
27th Aug 2003, 07:49
Just been reading a thread in ATC issues about Speed control-

What are the various aircraft / company speed requirements for arriving aircraft? What speed can your aircraft realistically fly to 4d, what speeds to your company procedures require you to fly?

I know about E145 airframe limitaions and that an ATP can do 230 to 4d (although company won't allow it).

Your answers would be greatly appreciated since we can't get on the pointy end anymore :( :(

kinsman
27th Aug 2003, 16:52
MYT – 320/1 & 330

We can comply with the standard speeds as published. Speeds below 210 - 220kts can occasionally cause a problem clean but we can get around it with slats but keep in mind long periods with the slats out in icing conditions are not desirable. That said I have never had a problem from ATC if I have requested a slightly higher speed to stay clean. 160kts to 4 dme is not a problem, we need to be stable e.g. on speed, spooled up, configured and established by 1000ft IMC and 500ft VMC.

All the above is true for the 757/767 as I recall but I can’t answer for the DC10.

Why don't you guys ask companies if you can sit in on day two of sim details? Most guys would be happy to see you and it would give you a feel for the workload. I visited West Drayton and Prestwick Oceanic a few years ago and found the experience gave me a new perspective on your job, especially the hour on your simulator!

radar707
2nd Sep 2003, 02:59
thanks for the reply Kinsman, it's nice to know these things, but it seems to vary from company to company, many times I ask for 160 to 4 but get back will 170 do, or other times we get 160 to 4 and then pilots complaining on here saying it's unrealistic of us to expect it and "Don't you know anything about aircraft performance".

Kinsman, anytime your in Glasgow, feel free to come over and have a play on our simulator, it's not the all singing all dancing things you've probably seen elsewhere, but it will give you an insight into how approch radar works and how hard it actually is

Report Visual
2nd Sep 2003, 19:49
How many companies adhere to the 250kts below FL100 especially in Class E Airspace.

If then advised "no ATC speed restriction", is that taking the onus off the pilot in a see and be seen environment when ATC may not know about and there's no radar return on the VFR aircraft/microlight going opposite direction!

Surely sensible airmanship would suggest if you're travelling in between 2 airports at 3000' it would make sense to call ATC and let them know you're there, for your own safety as well as that of others.

No need to be scared, we don't bite (much).

Don't like Class E, never have, never will.

(Sorry for the slight detour on the topic)

RV ;)

FlapsOne
2nd Sep 2003, 21:09
Certainly for the 737-300 (and maybe some other types I know nothing about) the 160 to 4 issue means the gear will have to be lowered, flaps 15.

From 10+ miles out this results in a lot of wasted fuel.

In the 737-700 it's not a problem to fly 160 without the gear.

Ideal gear time would be at about 6 and a bit miles (2000')