PDA

View Full Version : FSTA Manning

Tonkenna
27th Aug 2003, 02:08
Just been reading the article on the tanker replacement in Air Forces World (or something like that). Very interesting article (and a little scary, £13Billion PFI!!), but, I am interested if anyone has heard on any manning percentages for the aircrew flying them. I heard/saw a while ago the figure 50% RAF full time, 25% reserves and 25% civvie but I can't remember where. Anyone know any better?

Tonks:confused:

Jobza Guddun
27th Aug 2003, 03:50
Heard a similar figure banded about as well, Tonks. Which deployments would the civvies be on then?

What hasn't been announced by the Puzzle Palace in London or Fort Fumble near Gloucester is that engineering will be carried out by civvies (well-placed source for this).

300 plus techie redundancies then?

BEagle
27th Aug 2003, 05:17
Tonks - have you come back darn sarf to fly the ancient Vickers museum piece once again?

Have a look at http://www.mod.uk/dpa/projects/fsta.htm , it gives some clues regarding the scope of the PFI con cept.

PS - Did you ever get your civil FI rating?

Art Field
28th Aug 2003, 03:26
Tonks, go to David M's Forum.

Roland Pulfrew
11th Sep 2003, 05:14
Tonks

75/25 Military/Sponsored Reserve. Aircrew and ground crew!!

RP

Tonkenna
11th Sep 2003, 16:30
Thanks for the info chaps, and I apologise for tha late reply but I have had a little internet connection problem (still not resolved).

BEagle, No I havn't got it though I now have my A2. Not really sure what I have to do to get it. If you have any pointers that would be handy :)

Roland, Hi there maybe see ya at Brize in Oct :)

Tonks

RubiC Cube
11th Sep 2003, 19:14
The figures I've just heard are:

80% military
20% reservists
6-12 crews suppied by the contractor for surge capacity

G Fourbee
12th Sep 2003, 03:22
You get A2s with cornflakes these days. You can either instruct or not. If you can, you will naturally rise, because your results will bear witness, and fully deserve the A2 accolade. QED.

Tonkenna
12th Sep 2003, 03:35
G4B

:confused: :confused:

Tonks

Dan Winterland
13th Sep 2003, 19:01
Hi Tonks,

as a current A2, you just need to do a FI validation with a Flying Instructor Examiner. Oh, and pay the CAA of course! I know of a couple of FIEs local to Brize.

Check your PMs.

Cheers,

Dan

BEagle
13th Sep 2003, 20:58
Dan - That was true about 12 years ago, but it's not quite that simple any more! There's this JAR-FCL thing, you see....

Tonks, firstly, do you have a civil commercial licence? If not, do you meet the military accreditation criteria of LASORS D3.3(A) or D3.3(B)? That will define how many ATPL(A) exams you need to obtain a CPL(A). If you haven't got at least a JAR-FCL CPL, then that should be your first priority; make sure that you also have credit for your Tutor IR (they do allow you to fly in cloud now, don't they?) for an IMC rating and also credit for your night qualification, then get your licence off to the CAA within 12 months of your A2 check and you should get a FI rating with no restrictions. All this will cost, of course....

E-mail me if you wish further details; alternatively come over to the Flying Club when you come back darn sarf!

G Fourbee
20th Sep 2003, 04:52
Tonks

Sorry, missed your point!:{