PDA

View Full Version : BHD Handling

tallseabird
27th Aug 2003, 00:50
I hear a new handling agent is 'taking over' all handling at BHD (having undercut all other bidders by 33% allegedly) and that someone in that company has a long standing relationship with MOL, I've searched prune and there is no info about this - am I misinformed? (wouldn't be a first!)

BELHold
27th Aug 2003, 04:02
Menzies came up in a conversation I was having earlier today on the subject...security next?

Tower Ranger
27th Aug 2003, 18:53
I believe Menzies will take over ramp and passenger services at BHD from the start of October . They have already run the Cargo dept for a couple of years.

XSBaggage
3rd Sep 2003, 22:47
Who are they taking it over from? Is there only one handling agent currently in BHD, and if so, are the airlines happy with it?

XSB

ALLMCC
3rd Sep 2003, 23:50
As far as I'm aware up to now all handling was undertaken by BHD employees with assistance from airline staff. There do appears to be some problems during busy periods when a/c can be delayed having to wait for pushback crews - also a/c frequently arrive on stands with no one to meet them - perhaps this is part of the reason for contracting out the handling duties.

tallseabird
4th Sep 2003, 16:27
I believe it is more that Bombardier want to concentrate on 'core activities' and outsource all the rest. Frankly, and I'm not putting them down, what experience do they have in commercial aircraft handling, operating at one (small) airport is not the way forward in todays dog eat dog world. Mind you Menzies don't seem to have vast experience either nor any 'global domination' in this market.

ALLMCC
4th Sep 2003, 17:18
TALL SEA BIRD

Not sure what you mean in your post - Bombardier sold BHD to Grupo Ferrovial in May so they are no longer involved! Bombardier handled ramp services since 1989 when they purchased Shorts - previous to that Shorts did the handling. Might be a small airport in real terms but growing rapidly!

Suggest you have a look at www.menziesaviation.com - they are much bigger than you think!

dv8
4th Sep 2003, 20:06
If Menzies is taking over from Belfast City Handling at BDH they are not doing so for poor service.
I for one have no complaint on their professionalism, ramp efficiency and courtesy. One of the best handling agents in my book.

tallseabird
4th Sep 2003, 22:02
Sorry my mistake, but the same things apply to Grupo Ferrovial - Europe´s second-biggest construction company!

I am bemused by Menzies, I thought they were a newspaper distributor, when I looked at their website they seemed to have lots of footholds in lots of places, from executive handling to aircraft cleaning to cargo offices but I have never heard of them having a substantial commercial aircraft handling station - no doubt they actually do have somewhere!

I'm not saying they won't do a good job, but we are in an age of outsourcing and that is typically to big players who have minimum wage employees.

As I see it the quality of ground handling is diminishing due to this (as is quality in numerous other industries) and a relativly unknown quantity at BHD is not going to change that trend.

In trim
6th Sep 2003, 04:08
tallseabird

Menzies have a large ground handling presence, but largely overseas. In Europe they have large operations in places like Amsterdam and Prague......pretty good operations.