PDA

View Full Version : bmi A330's

BWBriscoe
26th Aug 2003, 06:23
Where do bmi fly their A330's from, and what routes do they fly them on?

I do think that the bmi livery on those A330's does look stunning!

cossack
26th Aug 2003, 07:26
I don't know if its still the case, but they used to fly from Manchester to Chicago and Washington.
Things may have changed so the bmi website would probably give you the latest info.

BAe 146-100
26th Aug 2003, 18:47
Hi,

BWBriscoe, bmi have 3 A330's, one is currently on lease to South African Airways. They fly them from Heathrow to Washington and Chicago and Manchester to Washington and Chicago.

BAe 146-100

KingoftheRoad
26th Aug 2003, 19:12
Midland would dearly love to fly them to Washington & Chicago from Heathrow, but it'll be a long time before Brussels gives the green light to that one I'm afraid.

Roger Miller.

MD11FAN
31st Aug 2003, 22:12
I have heard some rumours about Ghana AW being restructured and a BMI A330 being used to operate LHR-ACCRA. Also mentioned BM F100 to be used on regional services.

G-AMMY
1st Sep 2003, 04:04
BAe 146-100

Where do you get your info from?
You seem to think that you know everything!

BAe 146-100
1st Sep 2003, 04:15
Hi,

G-AMMY, look at bmi's timetable and you will find that information in there. And I don't think that I know everything.

Thomas_Cook_757-300
1st Sep 2003, 04:27
Hi,
Wasn't there a rumour going around that bmi are planning to serve South Africa from LHR when the 3rd A330 returns from lease?

Thanks

Thomas_Cook_757-300

Ar Kid
1st Sep 2003, 05:57
Due to the Bermuda II agreement the only airlines still allowed to operate to/from the USA into LHR are BA, Virgin, United and American Airlines.

BMI operate to the US out of Manchester. If you look closely on the BMI website you will find that to fly from LHR to Chicago/Washington you must first catch a connecting flight to Manchester and then pick up the A330.

Regards
AK:ok:

Bezi l
1st Sep 2003, 16:50
BAE 146-100

Please just for the record, bmi fly the A330's on the following routes...

MAN - Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
MAN - Washington Dulles (IAD)

The 3rd A330 operates currently for SAA on the JNB-MXP route.

The LHR to the states is currently a dream.......... please double you're information in future!!

Bl
x

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
1st Sep 2003, 21:52
Hi Bezi l

I take it that it should read double check your info before you post

Sorree

glynn-kayes
1st Sep 2003, 22:18
the next route will most likely be man-mia

no, no, no
1st Sep 2003, 22:39
why Miami - bmi have obviously chosen ORD/IAD as points as they are also UA hubs. MIA is only an AA hub or do you think there is sufficient local demand (who will pay a decenet fare) who will travel down there. Or should bmi maybe look at doing this only a few days a week instead of the daily on ORD/6x weekly on IAD.

glynn-kayes
1st Sep 2003, 22:46
no no no, spot on with the a few days a week scenario on the mia
but who knows its only wot i and some crew are hearing

no, no, no
1st Sep 2003, 22:58
what about Boston - surely that must be a good market, but again hasn't got the UA connex - although it is shorter and has high demand.

Or the Caribbean - it would be great to see some sort of Antigua, St Lucia from the north etc. BW currently do BGI and JM do some Jamaican routes a couple of times a week, but nothing else.

There used to be a huge MRU market from MAN as well but that disappeared when Air Mauritius pulled their services a while back - looks like people only want to travel from MAN if they have the direct services.

glynn-kayes
1st Sep 2003, 23:12
no no no,i personally think yyz would be an excellent route for the 3rd 330 as i dont think ac are comitted to the north of england,and ac could codeshare on the route as well also i think bd operating costs would be cheaper than that of ac,also hearing of lax from man but as i said before nobody really knows so its anyones guess,i can tell you one thing though,the pax love the service,the product is fantastic and one of the best around and the 4th 330 should be coming on line,lhr-tfs/tfn could be a possibility for a330 ops..

ajamieson
2nd Sep 2003, 00:31
Mr Kayes, there is no tax on punctuation as far as I am aware so feel free to use it.

TFS/TFN are hardly going to provide high-yield traffic to fill the fixed C and premium Y cabins so I cannot see that happening, but closer co-operation with AC and operation of MAN-YYZ is a good possibility. MIA, with low-yield traffic and no *A connection, would be an unusual choice but, given Mr Reid's intent to pursue the leisure market, anything is possible.

glynn-kayes
2nd Sep 2003, 00:56
I do apologise Mr Ajamieson about the puntuation,and i will feel free to use it.
mia and lax are routes that bmi have licenses for and yyz also.
I totally agree yyz is a great option and should be exploited.However,tfs/tfn is a possibility on the a330 given the flight time(around four and a half hours)and the popularity of tenerife as a winter sun destination.
Tenerife is underserved in terms of scheduled services,although it is very popular with americans wishing to join cruises.In amadeus
schedules iad/ord/jfk to tfs is already being sold as a star alliance service via lhr and could become very popular...

no, no, no
2nd Sep 2003, 01:02
glynn, I don't know if you aware but bmi have actually launched services to TFS and TFN this winter on the A321 aircraft. As mentioned the fixed business/prem econ cabins are not ideal for this route.

Bezi l
2nd Sep 2003, 16:25
glynn,

just to let you know, bmi will be using a dedicated A321 for the TFS/TFN service (G-MIDC) which will be in 195 configuration with charter seats so as to provide in-flight entertainment.

It is still yet to be decided where the 3rd A330 (when it is back from SAA) will operate to. Several ideas are in the air...... watch this space!!!

bl
xx

ajamieson
3rd Sep 2003, 00:13
just to let you know, bmi will be using a dedicated A321 for the TFS/TFN service (G-MIDC) which will be in 195 configuration with charter seats so as to provide in-flight entertainment.

Really interesting info Bezi l, thank you. Isn't IFE a new departure for BD intra-Europe? And what happens to the moveable cabin divider and adjustable seating for C class under charter config? BD website is still selling C class tickets but I wouldn't be happy with charter pitch for a four hour flight at C prices...

Good use of the a/c, but I can forsee all manner of problems if G-MIDC goes tech with a full load of SLF and all other available a/c are in the other seating config.

Thunderball
3rd Sep 2003, 06:45
Any airline that got into A330 equipment at peak/peak lease rates and is still contemplating a map of the world only months before receiving aircraft back off wet-lease has a potential multi-million dollar problem.

My guess is that bmi are desperate to wet-lease again. Perhaps the Gulf would provide a warm climate this winter? :D

Little Blue
3rd Sep 2003, 07:24
Hope so...could do with a deeeeeep tan !!
I wish
;)

Gaza
3rd Sep 2003, 16:30
Where do you get your info from?
You seem to think that you know everything!

Now, now children. Play nice. Keep the petty squabbling and childish throwbacks to airliners.net.

glynn-kayes - LAX is not really an option for bmi as you cannot operate a daily service with a single aircraft. The flight times are too long. They may just be able to mange it by rotating the aircraft used on IAD and ORD but there would be little margin for error.

Bezi l
3rd Sep 2003, 16:37
ajamieson,

DC will have 195 seats with the normal scheduled service aircraft seat pitch, and not the charter seat pitch when the aircraft is in 215 configuration. The moving curtain will still be in operation, it is just the flexible seats that won't be the norm., though they are hoping to 'leave the middle seat free' for the business class passengers. This is beacuase all of the other operators that currently fly to TFS offer IFE on the 4 1/2 hour journey, and bmi are hoping to do the same, and it is only the charter seats that have the IFE facility. The normal scheduled service seats don't have it.

And if DC does go tech, then there shouldn't be much of a problem, as all of the scheduled service A321's have the same 195 configuration, and have flexible seats in business, so the advantage would be for the business class passengers, but not the economy passengers, as there would be no IFE facility.

Should be a great service!!! Looking forward to that winter sun!!

BL
xx

BWBriscoe
4th Sep 2003, 05:12
BMI's A330 pilots must get very bored only flying to Washington and Chicago! It must get very tedious!

Do they not fly them on high density short haul routes or charter ops?

Caslance
4th Sep 2003, 05:19
No, they don't!:ok:

Bezi l
4th Sep 2003, 19:43
Actually caslance, some of the A330 pilots are mixed fleet rated, which means that in addition to flying the A330's, they can also fly the A320's & A321's. Admittedly there aren't that many, but some do.

Also, don't forget that the A330 pilots also get to fly the A330 that is currently on lease to SAA and have the onerous task of having to spend 6 days away from home when operating the JNB-MXP service!!!

BL
xx

flymeagain
4th Sep 2003, 23:27
LATEST RUMOUR
(and I work on the fleet so its a good one)
The IAD is to go to 3x week with 2x week to either MIA, BOS or LAS.
Third a/c may stay at SAA til Marchnow

no, no, no
4th Sep 2003, 23:35
but surely 3x weekly flights to IAD wouldn't be the best options as you would turn off 99% of the business traffic who would all go down to London, and it isn't the biggest of leisure destinations in the world (with low fares) so it wouldn't really be the best option for them - and I can't see them making money on this - MIA and BOS seem to be floating around alot.

it's good though how people who work on the fleet get told about new sensitive commercial agreements long before the rest of the world!!!