PDA

View Full Version : Some questions on Air Taxi ops

Wireless
25th Aug 2003, 23:06
Hello

I have been thinking about how to go about working in the Carribean and what it would entail plus the requirements for licence validations and permits etc. I am very curious as to how it is possible and I hope some of you can post some advice.

1/ I am a British Citizen. What namely are the best places to find work on light aircraft doing air taxi (Aztecs etc) work. I understand that the BVI is one destination.

2/ Is it as difficult to get work pemits for Islands that are within the scope of the US as it is for the US itself. Also, as a British citizen, how tricky are we talking to get a work permit for ex British colonial Islands?

3/ Do you need a OECS validation for the BVI. I understand that any ICAO licence can be validated. As the validation doesn't last indefinately is it possible to convert so you can fly over there for a few years?

4/ I have read past topics and understand that it is the opinion that the Carribean is a good place to build time but there are no serious career prospects out there. Do work pemits and validation regulations allow an expat to stay out there for a few years if so wished?

5/ Finally...Is the nature of the work on Air Taxi seasonal. Say you work from spring to the end of Summer, the go home until the following season. Also what roughly can a Pilot expect money wise for light charter ops. (I know it won't be much)

Ta for the help. Bill