PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 206, 210 rating?

VanderVlietm
25th Aug 2003, 05:19
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me with obtaining a type rating endorsement for a Cessna 206 or 210?

I am currently training in Christchurch at the International Aviation Academy of New Zealand.

It would seem that a type rating on these aircraft would essential if you wanted to operate in Africa or Oz

Thanks in advance.

Serengeti
25th Aug 2003, 07:27
G'day mate,
I think you'll find that you dont need one if you have a CSU and Retract endorsement. As it is below 5700kgs there is no requirement. This isnt to say that you dont need time on them before you get a job. If your school says you need an endorsement then ignore it and wet hire it from someone else at your location. As long as your comfortable at travelling at 145kts and above.
Dont let yourself be ripped off. $240 / hr plus charges
10hrs should be right

Dupre
25th Aug 2003, 08:27
This is an issue that arises all the time. In NZ, you're issued with a "rating" for each and every type you wish to fly. Even though I have PIC hours in a 172 in both Oz and Canada, I can't fly one in NZ as I don't have the rating!!

In Oz, you are rated for all aircraft that fit some criteria - so a normal PPL would qualify you for a 152, 172, pa28, pa38 etc, no questions asked (so long as it's below the 5700kg MAUW). Then you do separate endorsements for CSU, Retract, Pressurised, Turbine etc etc...

So, Vander, if you get the NZ rating (which counts towards experience on type) and get your 10 hours, then you should be set. Finding a 210 to do it on could be a little more difficult! There should be a few 206's around (but emphasise the "few"!)

Possibly a better route would be to do the time when you get there (oz or africa). You could use the 10 hours to familiarise yourself with operating in the country - and make contacts while you're doing it. It would think it's also much easier to find 210's and 206's there as well - they're pretty rare on this side of the tasman (are there any in Milford Sound?).

Good luck anyway!

Dupre.

edited to put in the 5700kg limit!

VanderVlietm
25th Aug 2003, 08:47
Thanks for your replys,

Think i will have to contact some operators around New Zealand to see if they are willing to give me a rating on the 210, 206.

If i go over to Africa with this rating in my log book it would make me more employable surely?

Anyway thanks again,

troppo
25th Aug 2003, 09:12
um...missed the point....
good luck:ok:

penetrator
25th Aug 2003, 10:36
Troppo
Why cant any body fly a 206 when full from my time in them they did not turn into a monster.

kavu
25th Aug 2003, 14:21
Mate

Unlike Aussie you need a rating to fly a 206 and another to fly the 210.

In NZ we don't have CSU and gear ratings.

Try Tauranga for a 206 rating. Bay of Plenty Flight Centre. Ph Number can't remember. They might be able to help out.

Paraparaumu Aeroclub has one as well. You need 200hr and a CPL I think.

Hope this helps

troppo
25th Aug 2003, 14:52
look at webwings...
if ya can make it to the otherside of the airstrip...
canterbury aviation has a 185 and 206 they put out at $450/hr...
maybe a lil bit expensive but probably be cheaper than going further afield after you add everything up...
try searching caa website for other 206s in the area...

Cypher
26th Aug 2003, 13:35
Yeah I might be able to help out..
I fly a C206 and I'm a current instructor... I should be able to do you a rating... I'll ask the boss about getting the C206. However I CAN'T promise nothing.. I'll probably get away with a dual flight / rating, but probably won't be able to let you loose with it solo..

I'm based in the North Island..

Private message me if your interested..

Mr. Hat
26th Aug 2003, 19:05
Vander

Enjoy the two toughest bush singles ever made.:ok:

skytops
30th Aug 2003, 04:18
The problem with the 206 in Tauranga is that it's not dual control - last I checked anyway. I'm sure you'll find one in the vicinity of CHCH. Please post what you find down there - especially if you find a 210 available for type rating training.

VanderVlietm
30th Aug 2003, 08:10
sure will skytops,

Thanks

ZK-EBC
21st Mar 2004, 10:51
Canterbury Aviation in CHCH have a 206 available in which to do a rating - wont let you go solo though.

SkySurfin
22nd Mar 2004, 12:15
Hi there,

If your plan is to go to Africa, then having the 206/210 on your licence would certainly be an advantage. Firstly because it shows you want a job flying for a 206/210 operator, and secondly it will help if they ask you to come up on a flight (they may get you to fly an empty leg- your chance to impress!!). In Botswana, a 206 and 210 rating on your foreign licence is no use unless you have 5 hours experience..... That is the minimum time on type before they can put it on your Bots licence. If your planning on heading that way, then get a 206 rating over a 210. Most companies operate both, but all will start you on the 206.

I did my rating down in Otago on a privatley owned one, but that was through special circumstances. I then went to Bots with 220 hours and 5 on a 206.......and got a job. But its not uncommon for guys without ratings to get jobs their also.

Id suggest you get on the NZ CAA website and do a search for 206s....... Another possibilty if that fails, would be to do the rating in Africa. Has been done before and may infact work out cheaper.......

PM me if you need more info.

Surfin