PDA

View Full Version : A guy with no flying experience want to join the cadet programme

jontyrhodes
25th Aug 2003, 01:13
I have sent my application form to Cathay and I would like to know how long will I need to wait for an interview. Also, I have seen from some of the post that there will be some technical questions for the 2nd round of interview. As the application form said you don't need to have any flying experience, will they expect me to know some technical issue also? Thanks in advance for helping.

Guru
25th Aug 2003, 10:26
You would be given a set of notes to study for the second interview. The technical questions previous posts refer to are those centred on these notes.

Naturally any other relevant knowledge you acquire will help.

jontyrhodes
25th Aug 2003, 21:26
Do you know how long usually it takes for Cathay or DragonAir to call you for interview?

ronnie123
25th Aug 2003, 21:49
Jonty ,

Im line for SO interview for last 8 mths no news frm CX. May be cadet is faster?

jontyrhodes
26th Aug 2003, 00:39
I have heard that somebody got interviewed in a month or so after they have sent their forms to Cathay.

Guru
27th Aug 2003, 00:06
I get the impression that the speed with which they process applications depends on how quickly they want to assemble a class for Adelaide.

Say if they want people to fill a class that's heading for ADL soon then they can be real quick. But on the other hand if the next course is some time away then they are not likely to rush things.

jontyrhodes
27th Aug 2003, 23:25
Do you know when will be the next class in ADL?

Guru
28th Aug 2003, 14:56
I think one is going downunder soon, not sure the exact date.

cwandy
29th Aug 2003, 11:22
I'm now having my flight grading in ADL. The coming cadet course CP19 will start at 6th October and we are the last batch for the flight grading.
Flying experience is not a concern, as I have no flying experience at all and still got through the interviews. I dropped in my application in March before the SARS, and they called me for the first interview in early June. I think it really depends on when they will have the next cadet course and they will call you for the first interview. Go and have a look on some PPL books, they do useful when you can get into the second round and the flight grading.
Good luck

smallwing
29th Aug 2003, 11:41
4 to 5 slots have already been filled, from previous graders.

Really up to CX as to how many they want in their class this year, but usually graduate one short.

Good luck to all

jontyrhodes
29th Aug 2003, 23:37
can somebody suggest some books for me to read? i have seen that dragonair is posting on its website for cadet pilots. do anybody know how's the progress with it?

smallwing
30th Aug 2003, 09:15
For Dragonair, if you apply now, you "might" still squeeze in for first interview. They are planning a second batch of graders in November, first batch will arrive end of September.

I find the Canadian "From the Ground Up" to be a good all around book, which gives you info on the basics you need and will touch on more advance items that will keep you on your toes. With any airline, they will ask you questions for your interviews, and what they want to see is if you do your homework, but moreso, how much confidence you have.

Want to get a little more technical, an easy one will be "Flying the Big Jets". This one is a pretty good write of someone's everyday airline operations.

Scan the boeing and airbus websites from time to time, as there are chances they might ask you on what new planes are in store, or what kind of trends are nowadays.

Have an idea what a "No Frills" airline is, and why it makes loads of money.

Overall, don't do it like studying for an exam, but if you really have the knack for aviation, you would probably know most of the stuff in these books.

Cheers

jontyrhodes
31st Aug 2003, 01:07
Thanks for the suggestions. I have already sent in my form in mid-August. Do you know if I would have a chance to get an interview in early September?

Guru
1st Sep 2003, 02:15
You want to squeeze in an interview before you leave HK for the start of uni?

As there would be more than enough people to fill this year's course I don't think they would get to you until at least later in the year. So expect to have to fly back for an interview.

Chunks
1st Sep 2003, 17:16
How many positions are open for the CPP this year? Anybody have any idea how many cadets CX is going to recruit next year?

jontyrhodes
2nd Sep 2003, 00:29
I want to ask if you have been asked to go to ADL for flight grading, what's the chance of getting the programme eventually?

sigma
2nd Sep 2003, 01:47
well at least I know how much thrust the Trent 800 produces unlike some one on the course.

smallwing
2nd Sep 2003, 12:09
Chances are 50%, coz if you suck you suck.

Why does knowing the output of an engine important to initial training? That is a bit demeaning.

Don't think being able to go to grading, you mean any more to the company. Work as hard as you should.

Cheers

Guru
6th Sep 2003, 14:22
As the Company is not trying to pick a fixed percentage of graders out of each group the number who advance varies a lot. There are groups where everyone has a final interview but there are also some where no one returns.

You're not competing with your fellow graders, so it would only help everybody's chances to share ideas and help each other out.