PDA

View Full Version : How much wind is too much for ramp opeations

Ozgrade3
25th Aug 2003, 00:42
So at what wind speed will airline operations departments call off ramp operations.

Consider today, max wind gust recorded 68 kts at YSSY. 4 x LD3 containers blown off a dolleytrain on the international ramp, being blown clear accross 16R, smashing several taxiway directions signs and ending up near the VOR. 2 x metros jumping chocks(might at, all 3 wheels were chocked and the park brake set) and rolling down the ramp, fortunately there were ground staff or pilots on board both who were able to jump on the brakes. 1 SAAB rotated 90 degrees despite it still being attached to a tug on bay 39. Cessna Caravan on the GA ramp turned 30 deg.

The refuellers stopped work for 1 hr after one was blown clear off the ladder and injured. Bay 31 was cordened off in the early afternoon after metal roofing material off the terminal roof started raining down on the bay.

Passngers almost being blown off the steps of aircraft, ramp rats dodging flying debris weighing up to 5-7 kilos that had assumed the tradjectory of excocet missiles, I saw at 30 kg bag blown off a belt loader and fly 5 metres before touching the ground. Under the terminal pier, between the bays where the passages narrow like a venturi, the wind speed was estimated at 75 kts + constantly.

almost all the ramp staff reported some for of injury, eye contamination from grit, or cuts and bruises from flying debris. I myself got sconned on the head by a flying catering tray.

Do we have to have a serious injuty before they call a time out due wind??

jtr
25th Aug 2003, 00:58
Most types with motorised doors of one form or another will have a limit. Ours is 40 kts for opening, and 55 kts once opened. Also have a company wide one of frequent gusts abv 55 kts (I think) for stopping work altogether

jerrry
27th Aug 2003, 08:32
Ozgrade, had you NOT eaten the food off the tray then I suppose it would not have flown up and whacked you on the scone............

OpsNormal
27th Aug 2003, 14:11
Geez Oz you can be a real shiela sometimes! How did you have time to eat, not that you should need to....! ;)

Jerry, have been getting your email, have been somewhat busy on my newest novel trying to compete with your 'Heavy Iron' series, but that is another story entirely.... :ooh:

When is the tiger flight? :}

Regards,
Ops ;)

Captain Gidday
27th Aug 2003, 22:44
Geez, mate,
One big gust at our place [Northern Beaches, top of a hill] lifted our barge boards clean off the eaves and dumped them two streets away! The same gust lifted the entire metal roof, about 15 metres long, off the verandah next door and dumped the lot onto the house behind. We are talking 80 year old houses here that have taken everything thrown at them since early last century and never flinched. Lucky in the olden days they wired every single roof tile to the battens or we would have been in BIG trouble.
So even if you did knock off and go home, it wasn't any safer!
In Hong Kong at those windspeeds they would have cancelled everything and headed for the typhoon shelters.

jerrry
28th Aug 2003, 08:42
Hiya Ops,

The Tiger flight has been and gone brother. (15th - 22nd Aug)
The old girl didn't miss a beat, Tailwinds there and Back!
Raised some serious cash for the RFDS, Back at it for next August, looking at a different theme for the trip.
More aircraft in fomation perhaps?

Oh by the way, new training video for release in October,

Piper's Chieftain: A comprehensive look into the operation of one the most prolific light twins in history. A First officers perspective.
First Officer Byron Richboy takes us through a typical days bank running through North Western NSW.

"Truly a magnificent training aid for the IFR New Hire"
John & Mutta King
King Fliyte Skools

"A must for all Airline Candidates"
Geoffrey Dicksonn
CEO Quantas

"Todays Pilot can claim it on tax"
Tommy Doulton
CEO Sirrus

Oh forgot to ask Ops, are you going to Birdsville this year?

OpsNormal
28th Aug 2003, 09:57
I hope to.... There is talk around the office, we might have one or two twins going, and maybe a single with bags. Dunno yet, but one never knows one's luck in the big city!

I'll flick you an email from my "other" (real) email addy, coz I'm going try and ditch the hotmail addy.

Those certainly are some rave reviews by people who'd know.... ;)

I was thinking of going with the theme "An Insider's Look" as to the new publication, but every person I've been to see during my research, you've already seen!

I can't win! :{

Good to see it went well, :ok:

Regards,
Ops ;)