PDA

View Full Version : Internet Reference

FFP
24th Aug 2003, 23:00
Anyone know where on the Net there is a reference for how long it takes to reach Flt Lt from joining/commissioning and the difference for ground branch/aircrew ?

c130 alm
25th Aug 2003, 02:04
Have you had a look on www.rafcareers.com ?

The careers office should be able to help.

FFP
25th Aug 2003, 02:37
You would think so . .. . .

Rang the 'special advisor' on the local number. You'd think it'd be a common question i.e How long till I get promoted ? His opening line of 'I have absolutely no idea' made me wonder why he was there !

No luck on MoD, RAF or Careers site.

rivetjoint
25th Aug 2003, 03:17
I HAVE seen something in printed form which says "21 with degree = Fl Lt in xx years", "21 without degree = Fl Lt in xxx years"etc. I can only think it came from the RAF Careers office, can't find it now though.

Little_Boy
25th Aug 2003, 06:36
Can only speak on the aircrew side, but here goes......

University graduate, 4 year course - excludes a 4 year degree course at a Scottish University (Sadly as of 10 May 99). Overall time to Flt Lt 1.5 years from start of Initial Officer Training (IOT)

University graduate, 3 year course. Overall time to Flt Lt 2.5 years from start of IOT.

Basic entrant, ie. non-graduate. Overall time to Flt Lt 5.5 years FROM COMMISSIONING DATE.

Note: A graduate's commisioning date is classed as the day IOT is STARTED. Whereas for a non-graduate this is classed as the day IOT is FINISHED. Thus if you sail through IOT first time, as a non-graduate (6 month course), your overall time to Flt Lt will be 6 years.

Hope this is of some help to you. Guess your weighing up University Vs. Direct Entry??

whowhenwhy
25th Aug 2003, 17:04
And if you're not master race it's 2 years after a 4 year degree, and 3 years after a 3 year degree!

FFP
25th Aug 2003, 17:54
But ground branch often get promoted early as their training takes a shorter time and so they pack in 2 tours before aircrew mate even sees an OCU !

Runaway Gun
25th Aug 2003, 18:19
C'mon now FFP, this is neither the time nor place to beginning a Ground Staff VS Aircrew scrap !!
I take it that you have a Magic Moth sewn onto your blues? ;)

NB. The correct time is 1945hrs, the correct place is the bar.