PDA

View Full Version : Daps V Jeps

StraightnLevel
24th Aug 2003, 21:06
G'day All,,

Thinking about changing from DAPS to JEPS any comments on the pros and cons of both would be much apprieciated. How much does a set of JEPS cost and is really worth paying the extra for the cow hide cover.

Cheers.

Raingauge
24th Aug 2003, 21:19
I think at the end of the day if you want to get into the airlines Jepps is the way to go.....I can't think of too many airlines using DAPS....actually I can't think of any. It's handy having the AIP (equivalent), maps, and plates all in one, however it's becoming a bit of a struggle keeping it all in the two binders.

As for the cow hide, I chose the Kangaroo skin binder with the matching Jep croc licence holder...it's all part of them trying to take over the Aust market.

StraightnLevel
24th Aug 2003, 21:36
Yeh I dont know about the croc licence wallet, mine still sits in the envelope they sent it in, dont believe in paying for things that PPL'S get for free:yuk:

Still, I like the idea of the all in one JEPS, how hardy is the bible paper????

Mooney Driver
24th Aug 2003, 22:19
I originally had the non-leather (Duraflo?) binders. Left 'em on the glareshield at Mudgee one very hot day and came back to find one of them had nearly liquefied! Looked like a brown candle.

Jepp very kindly changed them for cowhide at no cost.

The paper's fine. Although it's thin, it's very strong and seems to last better than DAPS (the better binder mechanism probably helps).

Jet_A_Knight
24th Aug 2003, 22:39
Don't dump the DAPS until you've spent a couple (2 or 3 or so) weeks getting used to the Jepps before using them 'in anger'.

StraightnLevel
24th Aug 2003, 22:40
I heard it cost around $300 for the yearly subscription but how much for the initial outlay???

Thanks in advance

Titan Driver
24th Aug 2003, 23:01
Just converted to the Jepps recently myself. Cost me $570.00 including binders (duraflo) and 12 month subscription. Salesman said just about everyone gets the duroflo binders as the leather is more expensive (quite a bit more). From memory the duraflo binders were something like $70 or $80 each and two are required. Jepps take a little getting use to at first as they seem more cluttered than Daps at first sight. I like the way Jepps have the holding pattern track on the plate for outbound and inbound legs. Daps don't have this feature. On the other hand Jepps don't have the close up overhead view showing the final leg to the aid/runway like Daps do. Jepps are basically your Daps, ERSA and AIP all rolled into the one set. Other than that it's just presentation.

Capt Claret
25th Aug 2003, 07:13
I changed to Jepps about 7 or 8 years ago because I was sick of the plethora of cut and paste ammendments that came out in Notams after almost every cyclical AIP/DAPs ammendment.

Jepps don't use the Cut and paste method, they simply reissue the chart at the first opportunity. Given their cycle is every two weeks, one doesn't have to wait too long.

I use 3 x 2" duraflo binders, one for approach plates, one for AIP, one for daily use plates and aircraft data and route data cards etc. They are wearing well. The bible paper stands up well, with only the occasional page getting torn. Each year Jepps send out a checklist so that one can ensure that the whole manual is up to date. One can order something like 40 lost or damaged replacement pages, at no cost.

The service from Jeppesen in Melbourne surpasses that of Airservices, though I haven't used Airservices for several years.

I've just paid the renewal for the next 12 months, $257.70. It varies from year to year due to the exchange rate. I am seriously considering vonverting to JeppView when version 3 is released. It should be cheaper because it is all electronic issue, with updated downloaded from the Internet, thus saving on postage and handling.

My initial issue was too long ago to remember the cost, email Darren Mattingly ([email protected]) at Jeppesen in Melbourne to get all the gen. Ph (03) 9706-0022.

ITCZ
28th Aug 2003, 00:33
Hi straightnlevel.

Jepps v DAP has been done to death a hundred times on Pprune. Try searching the posts (see search between FAQ and Forum Home above)

Cowhide v Duraflow? All i can say is that i bought a couple of 2" cowhide binders (with aus contents + 6 month amend) for $200 s/hand 5 years ago, and they have survived absolutely appalling humidity, sweat, beatings and other 'top end' thrashings and still look good and still are soundly holding all that knowledge together.

In fact they look even better than when i bought them!

Make friends with pilots who are about to p!ss off to Cathay or similar. Worth the extra bucks for leather.

ITCZ

Hugh Jarse
28th Aug 2003, 17:33
With all the new GPS approaches coming out, the 2 standard binders are insufficient for all the Australian contents.

IMHO, Jepps maps suck. Far too cluttered and not enough contrast in the ink colours to make them easy to read. The Jepp approach plates I prefer over Air(dis)services.

However, the Jepp maps are easily foldable for use as sunshades when not in E or G airspace.:8

ITCZ
31st Aug 2003, 20:27
Beg to differ, Jarse.

Whip all the A-B charts out of the second folder and put them in the back of TERMINAL in the first folder. Evens things up a bit, plenty of room!

Plus, have the charts from a dozen or so regularly visited ports in a cheap A5 binder with a bit of company info, etc. Bit more room.

Still pays to not have had a coupla reds when doing amendments. "Let me see.. Yarrowee aerodrome chart... last one... SHUT, YOU :mad: THING..... AH, FAARKIT!!! :{ ... (Dont "shush" me, they have been in bed for hours).... [pick pick pick, shuffle shuffle shuffle..] Right. Adelaide ten dash two, dash two B, dash..."

ITCZ=Still looking for a life:rolleyes: