PDA

View Full Version : Airfield comments

TOT
24th Aug 2003, 15:58
EGBO AGAIN!!

A conflict heard on the radio 22/8/03. Its on this tread because it involves an airfield based R22. The R22, with experienced instructor and student on board, having previously advised ATC prior to the commencement of the flight of their intention, had relocated to use the sloping ground. The ATC, started to dictate that proceedures had not been adhered to. The instructor very politely advised ATC that the correct procedure had been followed. However this was greeted by GRUNT from ATC "FOLLOW ATC INSTRUCTIONS OR GET OUT OF THE AREA"
What is the matter with this guy??? It common knowledge that some pilots now avoid EGBO if they know this chap is on duty.
Come on ATC provide a professional service or YOU get out of the area!!

SIGNED : another sympathetic heli pilot.

sss
24th Aug 2003, 17:33
shouldnt this be brought up with the airfield concerned rather than a shout here?

Heliport
24th Aug 2003, 19:23
Perhaps the FI concerned has done so.
TOT is warning other pilots of possible problems training at that airfield.

Heliport

Vfrpilotpb
25th Aug 2003, 17:34
I feel it is relevent to air the problems here, for the same ATC people( possibly not the same one as first post) once had a wide open transmission shouting match with me, after trying to get me to land on top of a departing Twin!.
I took this up with the Managing Director of W International Airport, to which HE apologised and said they were still training the ATc staff, well that was two years ago, so how long will it be before they are trained! :ooh:

jellycopter
26th Aug 2003, 01:26
It was reading the thread about EGBO and poor ATC controllers that has prompted me to speak of my experiences at Sywell.

In short, I've nothing but praise for the guys and girls in the tower at Sywell. They are always helpful, freindly and most of all, pro-aviation!

I fly an A109 into Sywell on a regular basis. No need to pre-book, just call on the R/T a few minutes before. I usually take a rotors-running refuel because it's (in my experience at least) the quickest in the country. OK; the JETA1 is a bit expensive, but the efficiency of service makes paying the extra an easy pill to swallow.

On another occasion I was flying past in my kit-built just as they were about to close. It was my first outing in this particular machine and the fuel gauge was suspect so asked if I could drop in just after closing time to dip my tanks. No problem! As it transpired, the gauge was working well and I needed a bit more gas. The pumps had been closed for 45 minutes but; no problem! They opened up the pump and let me take a squirt before locking up and turning out the lights.

All in all; a great little aerodrome with outstanding staff. A real pleasure to visit and I recommend it to other rotorheads without reservation.

J

bugdevheli
26th Aug 2003, 05:10
Jellycopter . would it be rood to ask if its a kit copter

VeeAny
26th Aug 2003, 05:54
Jelly,

I do the occasional bit of heli part time at sywell, and can only back up what you say. They live in the real world and provide a VERY good service, I watch people arrive and depart as you say and have thought that they deserve credit a few times.

V.

Heliport
26th Aug 2003, 06:06
Interesting comments about Sywell - complete contrast to those which appeared in a recent discussion in the private flying forum What's going on at Sywell? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=91848&referrerid=30158)

VeeAny
26th Aug 2003, 06:29
Heliport,

I've just visited the thread you refered to and, can agree on the security eliments, I know NO ONE concerned with the ownership /operation of the airfield and haven't flown there in a professional manner since May '03, but the tower guys have ALWAYS been very good when in the air, (a bit retentive when I've been on tower visits, but we are all human after all).

I'll let you know what they are like after my next visit.

Cheers

V.

Happy Landing !
26th Aug 2003, 17:53
I use Sywell almost every day for gas.

Only the other week I was in and "Blagged" a ride in a 109 whilst my ship was being fueled up! how's that for a service?

The Resturant facilities are very good and although Air Traffic are only A.I.S and not A.T.C they do a very good job.

Quite a demanding role which requires both sides to bend a little.

Remember, it's not Heathrow:ok:

MBJ
27th Aug 2003, 15:40
I've long thought of doing a guide to airfields based on Amiability and Caff facilities - perhaps a "star" rating kind of thing. From this thread 5 stars to Sywell and IMHO Zero for Southampton, who DO think they are Heathrow!

Actually, Heathrow, provided you don't want to go there at night are reasonably slick.

Perhaps Pooleys can stick its neck out and add a rating system?:D