PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in Zambia

VanderVlietm
24th Aug 2003, 15:25
Hi,

I am a trainee commercial pilot just finishing off my Multi IR rating. I am currently training in New Zealand but hope to find some job prospects in Africa.

I was brought up in Zimbabwe and Zambia when i was younger so it is not a too disimilar place.

I would like to find a job flying between the game reserves. I am currently thinking about doing my Cessna 208 rating while i am here in New Zealand. Would this be a useful rating to have? do many people operate these aircraft over there?

Any hits and tips would be greatly appreciated.:D

Can some one also tell me of any charter operators/ tourist operators in Zambia?

Thanks for your help

Flying Bean
24th Aug 2003, 21:56
If your looking to go the route of bush charter ops in Africa, it is pretty essential you have a C206 or C210 rating and some hours to get to first base. A C208 rating is usefull as there are plenty in the region.
I would say it is virtually impossible for a foreign pilot to get a job in Zimbabwe,due to DCA regs and the virtual collapse of the Tourist Trade.
Zambia Work permits are also very hard to get now.

We are a Zambian Charter/Scheduled Operator with 3 Vans, but are not hiring at the moment, and I doubt if any one else is in Zambia. Dec/Jan is the hiring time in Southern Africa.

afrikanablue
24th Aug 2003, 22:03
I know some guys are flying tourists on microlights over Vic Falls from Livingstone on the Zam side, and there are some Cessnas on the Zim side but not much business.

Kiwi Flyer
30th Aug 2003, 17:50
Best option for you is Northern Botswana. Search for my previous posts on this forum, it covers most of what you need to know.

Cheers

KF

VanderVlietm
30th Aug 2003, 18:29
Thanks Kiwi Flyer,

Had a look at a few of your posts, very interesting.

You dont know of anyone in NZ who can offer a cessna 210 rating?

What is hiring season for Northern Botswana?

Thanks again,

Kiwi Flyer
9th Sep 2003, 20:49
VV,

Havnt been home in a long time, but I believe you may be able to organise a C210 rating through someone at North Shore? Not to sure though.
If you are thinking of coming to Botswana though, all you need is a c206 rating.
Best time? Well thats a hard one. Normally December through March, even April. Just depends on the season.

Well good luck

KF