PDA

View Full Version : Virgin hour requirements

downwind
24th Aug 2003, 10:28
G'day guys,

What is DJ's stance on low hour guys, say with mininmum 1000 hrs and the 500 ME CMD, if they posses jet or turboprop expirience from one of those cadetships?

BTW what is the significance of 500 ME CMD hours for the airlines (serious question)!

Cheers,

DW.

Mr. Hat
24th Aug 2003, 11:02
I think the 500 multi shows that the person has spent considerable time building their experience in order to move to the next level.

As far as I know most people get their multi thru years of persistance in the bush. Things can get fairly busy up the pointy end in a single pilot twin at night in imc. I suppose they look at that as desirable experience.

A mate of mine said that the years of of this type of experience come in handy when something goes wrong later on in the career.

Can't comment on FO regional time as I know little about it.

Just a thought.

cunninglinguist
25th Aug 2003, 15:57
Downwind, with that sort of time you WILL get into VB and probably have a command within 2 years..............no, I am serious!

Titan Driver
25th Aug 2003, 16:56
I stand corrected Dehavillanddriver :ok:

Menen
25th Aug 2003, 19:18
Re minimum qualifications to join an airline. There is a point of view that before qualifying as an airline captain on big jets, a pilot should have done the hard yards with a couple of thousand hours of bush/night freight/shonky operator experience -to gain hard won decision making experience. Therefore (goes the argument) when the chips are down on a dark and stormy night, this previous experience will stand the pilot in good stead. Maybe.

Another point of view is that a CPL with 250 hours total, command instrument rating and 100 hours in command, is a better bet for the right hand seat because before he gets into the RH seat of a big jet he will have been thoroughly trained through countless simulator sessions to cope with any reasonable emergency that he may encounter as an airline pilot (barring hot coffee spilt on his immaculate uniform).

By the time he arrives at a jet command he will have flown 8000 hours in the RH seat and seen every sort of weather conditions he is liable to encounter en route. That surely is experience not to be scorned as useless. In short, he may lack 1000 hours command on a C210 in Arnhem Land - but how relevant is that to big jet operations, anyway? The latter viewpoint seems to have won the day in some national overseas airlines.

Dehavillanddriver
25th Aug 2003, 19:55
Titan Driver,

82.3 doesn't apply in the case of Virgin pilots (or QF for that matter)

82.3 specifies the hour requirements for command in low capacity RPT ops.

82.5, which covers high capacity operations doesn't have the same requirements.

The 82.3 requirements don't apply to 82.5 operations.

If they did, a significant number of QF captains would not be captains (ex cadets - and this isn't a cadet bash before someoen jumps up and down!)

Mr. Hat
26th Aug 2003, 19:27
Menen what if the guy is a combination of both your guys?

Any good?

OneDotLow
28th Aug 2003, 12:39
Anyone see that ad as you turn off southern cross drive towards the domestic terminal...

Its a QF ad and says "Because we have trained for thousands of hours, you know you are in safe hands"

So true...

couldnt help but laugh!

stir, stir, stir...

Mr. Hat
28th Aug 2003, 12:51
True, you gotta have a laugh sometimes. Otherwise you'd just cry:{ :zzz: :zzz:

Shagtastic
30th Aug 2003, 06:25
I know a pilot in the UK who in addition to his 1000 hours or so bug bashing time in Australia has 3000 or more hours flying 737's in Europe. Poor buggar can't get a job with VB as he doesn't have 500 ME piston time..why?

I'm sure the tens of thousands of pax he's dropped off in Ibiza/Amsterdam haven't objected to this apparent lack of experince.

Given his experience what makes another bucket full of Bonanza/Seneca time relevant? Supply and demand maybe but common sense I think not.

Amen.

downwind
1st Sep 2003, 16:03
So guys,

What is the significance of the 500 ME CMD for DJ then, isn't CAO 82.3 requirement's only for low capacity RPT outfits?

If OZ was to say have a pilot shortage in the future what would the airlines do then, start up QF style cadetships?

Are airline cadets as good as GA guys in the RHS of a jet with no "REAL" flying time??

Chocks Away
1st Sep 2003, 19:16
NO ! :cool: "
I don't think so Timothy"

Dehavillanddriver
1st Sep 2003, 20:07
The 500 hours is just the Dj version of HSC for QF.

It is a filter

mjbow2
3rd Sep 2003, 02:26
Is that right....your multi engine PIC has to be in a piston? sounds unlikely.......... but if its true...oh well:ugh:

Dehavillanddriver
3rd Sep 2003, 17:41
500 multi command - not specifically piston

Chocks Away
5th Sep 2003, 18:46
...yeh, may even be multi time on a turbine if you're lucky. So long as it's Left Seat Command time.

Go out and get some, then you'll know why!