PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Sea King?

Kakpipe Cosmonaut
24th Aug 2003, 00:33
Can anybody give an idea where I might be able to buy ( or even lease ) a Sea King. Thanks.

bugdevheli
24th Aug 2003, 05:40
Try the Helicopter museum at Weston , no joke they seem to know whats about at the right price.

widgeon
25th Aug 2003, 02:21
http://web.govliquidation.com/auction/search

Check here from time to time , there are about 200 H3's in storage in the desert , they will eventually come up fror auction.

getting civil cert may be a problem.

http://www.rotor.com/get2.php?IDCFile=AIRPAISI.IDC&recordid=1795

Here is an S62 for sale

Kakpipe Cosmonaut
25th Aug 2003, 02:27
Thanks Widgeon. That was going to be my next question. Does anyone know for sure if it is already CAA certification to fly public transport ? ( CAA website is no help, but I will try by phone. )

Cyclic Hotline
25th Aug 2003, 03:22
There is no provision for an ex-military Sea King to fly public transport anywhere, let alone (especially) in the UK.

These aircraft were built solely for military operation, with the exception of one Sikorsky S61A that was delivered to a commercial operator as an FAA restricted category helicopter and was unfortunately destroyed in an accident last year. The S61A was a designation for an FAA Restricted Category type certificate, as a basis of an acceptable design standard (it's a long story), but it also appears as the model for some foreign military deliveries including Malaysia and Denmark. All the original aircraft Serial Numbers listed on this TC were removed at the last revision.

The H-3's in the desert will probably come out at some time, but are of equally limited application. They are only eligible for certification under Restricted Category, and are no longer eligible for certification under the original Sikorsky FAA Type Certificate H2EA. The machines in the desert are parked in full military configuration, including folding heads, etc.

There are two means open to you to certify ex US military aircraft by the FAA.

The only way they have been certified to date, is under FAA Restricted Category which will require you to obtain your own Restricted Category Certificate approved by the FAA. The limitations of restricted category include no carriage of passengers (amongst other things). FAA restricted category regulations require that the aircraft be previously operated by the US military - any other user at any time disqualifies the aircraft from eligibility. A further Catch 22, is that under the most recent certification change, you have to be in possession of at least one aircraft that will be eligible for certification, PRIOR to making application for a Type Certificate! ;)

The second option would be to undertake a complete transport category certification programme and conform the aircraft to the appropriate regulatory requirements. This would include all systems and components - a major undertaking! There is absolutely nothing to stop you from conforming an ex-military aircraft from any source, if you have the ability to conform it to an approved Type Certificate. This has been the means of certification of a vast array of aircraft, both helicopter and fixed-wing over the years. Of course, in the past many aircraft were essentially the same between commercial and military models. As you can probably understand the scope and expense of this undertaking, it is easy to understand why no-one has done it (or probably ever will).

The other option to find something similar is the "short" S61N or S61L, where the original commercial aircraft is modified to remove the airframe plug that created them, and restore them to the same dimension as the Sea-King. Agusta built a couple of S61N1 "Silver" which was essentially a commercial build short S61 but they were not exactly a commercial success.

I see that some of the Royal Navy Sea-Kings are being retired now, maybe you could get one just to fly around in one on a permit and be the envy of the Gazelle boys? ;)

chopperdr
25th Aug 2003, 04:29
give a call to mike or rex at clayton international in georgia, they may be able to help you on certification an h-3
dr

SiClick
25th Aug 2003, 23:59
Qatar has 8 Mk 3 Commando's (Seakings) with 2000 hours apiece, and 3 Mk 2's with around 4000 hours, all in pristine condition. They are in the market for a new toy, and when they get it they will need to get rid of their current fleet.

Sayagain...?
26th Aug 2003, 03:05
Nevermind the Sea King, what does your name mean???:8

widgeon
26th Aug 2003, 07:13
Hey Cal I'll drop yer name to Mike next time I talk to him.

Dynamic Component
26th Aug 2003, 07:48
Sayagain,

You should know coming from SA??:}

rotorboy
26th Aug 2003, 09:05
Well, whats been covered is correct, you have to basicaly get your own type certificate (restricted). It would then be know as a Kakpipe 61 (or whatever). I know of a company that is currently doing that with 3 H models that they got out of the boneyard in AZ.

You may want to call Pacific Helicopters in Maui. They have three standard cat N models. All currently being used for transport, but the contract for these a/c expires in March. Rumor has it they may sell one or two of the three? worth a try. Also heard there may be a waiting list.

Almost all of the N and shortned N models you will find have been logged with and have been modded / stripped clean. You may have problems insuring them for transprt cat operations.

The list of these companys is lengthy, that may have one for sale or an A model for sale. Coulson, Hayes, VIH, Carson, Croman, HTS... I can keep going if you wish. My guess is with the logging indsutry dieing you could proably get one off the above . mentioned. Plus , it seems to me everything is forsale if the price is right!:cool:

A low time restricted cat 61 (since 9k overhaul) with good component time, should go for 1.5 to 2.5m.

Hmm. thinking about it you may want to call Silver Bay in AK. They are in recievership, have a quanity of parts and two flyable machines, and a couple parts queens. They tried to get out on fire this summer but coulndt pull it together. I think they have an A and an L.

Hope that is helpful.

rb

Sayagain...?
26th Aug 2003, 14:00
Dynamic Component,

I got the "kak" in "kakpipe". "Kakpipe", for our non South African members, should mean "sewerage-pipe"!

Now attach "cosmonaut" to that and it gets even stranger!:confused:

Kakpipe Cosmonaut
27th Aug 2003, 00:20
Thanks for all the interesting info everyone, I'm currently following some of these leads.
As to the meaning of my 'name', well..... a clue is 'why go for the easy pink, when you can go for the difficult brown'.

Sayagain...?
27th Aug 2003, 13:18
Understood. No comment. Suject as far as I am concerned is closed.:yuk

rotorboy
29th Aug 2003, 21:54
current trade a plane lists:

an IFR fully equipped s61 N:
http://www.lloydhelicopters.com/S61%2030500hrs.htm

and an R model for 2.2m (no web page)...

rb

widgeon
30th Aug 2003, 05:38
are those CHC colours ?.