PDA

View Full Version : Bmi Assessment Day

skychick2003
23rd Aug 2003, 21:23
Hiya everyone

Has anyone got any info on BMI interviews and what they are like as a company. I have read some topics and it doesn't seem good but I have flown with BMI and they seem very professional the crew were great!! I'm nervous because my maths is bad and I haven't been to an interview for ages, well for cabin crew anyway. I hope the recruiters are friendly, Anyone been to an interview recently? I'm going to Stockley close, West Drayton this Wednesday. Any help much appreciated xxx

YYC F/A
24th Aug 2003, 03:38
Hi Skychick,

I flew for bmi British Midland for over 3 years based at LHR. When I joined, there was plenty of interesting flying, loads of nightstops. BMI was doing loads of flying on behalf of Lufthansa and that meant 5 day trips in Munich, Hamburg, Birmingham, Dusseldorf, Helsinki.

Unfortunately for me, for my first SIX MONTHS I was not rostered one single night stop. I ended up doing two nights away in six months (one was a shift trade, and one was a one night minimum rest in DUB). I had expressed a preference for MAX nightstops, and yet I got none. Yet people in my class who had asked for MIN nightstops were getting loads. It wasn't even due to language requirements as these people had no second language! Then, suddenly one month, I got 5 days in HAM, 2 off, 5 in BHX, 2 off, 4 in FRA/DUS, 1 stby, 2 off, then 5 in MUC, 2 off. Away practically the whole month. My pay doubled in one month.

The reason I tell you this is that this sums up 'Midland' all over. The rostering was, and still is, totally unfathomable. For an airline with coming on over 1,500 crew nationwide, they were still handwriting rosters from scratch up when I started. They then implemented an automated system, but it had loads of bugs. So the schedules are still being semi-manually done and then printed off by the auto system. You can't really 'bid', you just get what you're given. You rely on the nightstops for the extra flight pay, but they are becoming few and far between.

The situation now is that BMI no longer does those LH flights, and most crew are getting only a couple of night-stops a month, often not much more than minimum rest in DUB or MAN if you're doing a charter or something. This has hit people in the pay packet. Although the pay is not the worst at BMI, without the nightstops and flight pay, you're really struggling to support yourself if you live in London alone.

But although the rostering and night-stop situation sucks, the crew at 'Midland' have always been stellar. There are the odd flight supervisors who are super strict and super anal about things, but on the whole most people are out to deliver a safe and professional flight, and have some laughs along the way. I know that Charter crews work hard, but when I moved out to Canada and started work for an airline out here, they couldn't fathom the thought of doing a hot breakfast followed by tea and coffee and hot towels on a 35 minute LHR - MAN flight, let alone a hot dinner, full bar service, tea and coffee x 2, hot towels and sweets before landing on a packed 55 min GLA or EDI flight. But that's how it is at bmi. The crews gel together, you get the job done, and it's all about the team work...

The other positive thing about bmi is the promotion aspects (at LHR anyway). If you keep out of trouble in your first year, have a good dose of common sense, and can pass your Flight Supervisor exams, you can be flying as the In charge crew member pretty quickly. I know people at Monarch or BA who have been waiting for over 7 years to get 'upgraded' to a senior flying position, and at BMI I flew as a Flight Supervisor for a year. It's great experience, and it looks great on the resume if you want to move out of aviation or over to another carrier.

Training at bmi is very good, most of the trainers over at 'Stockley' are awesome, and my initial training at bmi was better than any of the other carriers I've flown for. In so far as the assesment day goes, it has evolved since I was there, but I know that you have a maths test, some group work and sometimes a general knowledge quiz. For maths, as with all airlines, focus on ACCURACY while still trying to work at a good pace. the exam is timed, but It's better to get 15 questions out of 40 right, and not get to the other 25, than to finish all 40 and get them all wrong. If you get to a question on the maths exam that you just can't fathom, or will take you forever to work out, move on to the next one, you can always come back later if you have time. And, as with all airline group assesments, smile a lot, try and look relaxed and confident (even though you're probably super nervous!), talk to your fellow classmates, and take a deep breath or two and try and be yourself and let that great personality show through!

I realise that I've written a small novel, so I'm going to shut up now, but if you need any other information let me know. On the whole, if you're looking just to fly for a couple of years, then go for it. It's good fun, albeit hardwork and not much pay. The staff travel benefits at BMI are pretty good too - especially the ZED fares on other carriers - going to Canada on AC for £27 each way, or Thailand for £42 each way. But if you're looking for long layovers, lots of days off, or more of a long term career, you might want to consider either being based in MAN (longhaul) with bmi, or if you're in London think of someone esle like Air NZ or MY Travel Airways out of LGW.

Good Luck! :p

skychick2003
26th Aug 2003, 19:47
hi YYC F/A

Thanks for your input on BMI:) , its very helpful. I have read many things on BMI assessment days some good and others not so good, obviously the ones who didn't get through.

I'm certainly nervous for tomorrow but it helps since I have just gone out and spent loads on nice bags and top shoes. ;) . I'm hoping to give it my best, I can't do much more than that.. I will see after tomorrow.. god this time tomorrow and I will know.. I'm soooo scared but excited so I can't wait in some ways.. Thanks again . ciao