PDA

View Full Version : Cliff rescue - incl video clip

Heliport
23rd Aug 2003, 17:22
10News, San Diego channel report

SAN DIEGO
Rescue crews used ropes and an emergency services helicopter Friday to help an injured man off a Torrey Pines-area cliff where he had fallen and gotten trapped, 10News reported.

San Diego lifeguards and firefighters got word of the accident off the 2800 block of Torrey Pines Scenic Drive shortly before 10:30 a.m., a dispatcher said.

Video (http://www.thesandiegochannel.com/news/2427646/detail.html)

The man allegedly ignored posted warning signs and tried to use the cliff as a way to access the beach down below.

They found him stuck partway down a large sea cliff, suffering from head injuries after falling about 15 feet. Another man was with him, apparently after climbing up the cliff to help.

The crew of the city's helicopter, Copter One, put the man onto a gurney and flew him to nearby Scripps Memorial Hospital. His condition was not immediately available.

The other man was apparently unscathed, officials said.

Torrey Pines State Reserve is between La Jolla and Del Mar on the Northern edge of San Diego.

http://nomm.com/Torrey%20Pines%20Trail.JPG

trimpot
23rd Aug 2003, 20:37
That was not a "cliff" rescue, a "hill" rescue maybe, but definatly not a cliff rescue.

Heliport
23rd Aug 2003, 20:43
Yeah, I know. But it sounded better. :D

trimpot
23rd Aug 2003, 20:50
Goodness, you are quick! Don't you sleep?

heedm
24th Aug 2003, 04:05
It looked to me like they had a hoist, yet the flew with the medic and patient underneath. The dynamic pressure would easily overload any of the hoists I've used. Anyone else use a long line technique with a hoist?

Incidentally, I'd opt to land on the beach after the rescuers do a rope rescue with the patient in the litter. Much less traumatic to the patient.

Flying Lawyer
24th Aug 2003, 06:13
There's a Hospital on Torrey Pines Road, 1-2 minutes flying time max, depending where exactly the man fell. The alternative would have been a very long and bumpy ride along the beach by 4wheel-drive and then back to the hospital.
I don't know if that would have influenced the decision - just a thought.

FL

Autorotate
24th Aug 2003, 10:53
According to the hospital the person had "very minor" injuries and they said they were surprised the helicopter was involved.

The helicopter actually just took him to the top of the hill, saving a ten min ride in the ambulance. The program has a lot of controversy surrounding it and they have recently been stealing patients from Mercy Air in San Diego and its not a happy place at the moment.

:E

Steve76
24th Aug 2003, 13:36
Glad it wasn't my eyes being filled with sand :)
Handy that the media machine was nearby to film it all......hmmm?
Nice job thou....

Heliport
24th Aug 2003, 15:27
San Diego Tribune Helicopter called out to rescue trapped hiker

A fire-rescue helicopter was needed yesterday to rescue a hiker trapped in a crevice below the Torrey Pines Glider Port.

The man was trying to hike down the unstable 200-foot-high cliffs above Black's Beach about 10:12 a.m. when he slipped and tumbled about 20 feet, firefighters said.

"He was in a very precarious position," said lifeguard Lt. Nick Lerma.

A man who climbed up the cliffs to help the injured man became stuck, too, and had to be helped back to the beach.

The hiker was taken to a hospital for treatment of a head injury. A report on his condition was not available, but his injuries were not thought to be life-threatening.

Lerma said lifeguards are involved in about 30 cliff rescues annually.

Heliport
24th Aug 2003, 23:23
heedm says It looked to me like they had a hoist, yet the flew with the medic and patient underneath. The dynamic pressure would easily overload any of the hoists I've used.
Anyone else use a long line technique with a hoist?

Any views?