PDA

View Full Version : Very fully loaded Aztec!!!

Westair FSO
23rd Aug 2003, 16:02
A PA-23 Aztec is operating out of Pilansberg, via Ondangwa into Souhtern Angola. Mostly Quito. This aircraft was spotted at Ondangwa with 1 pilot and 4 pax onboard, BUT there was only seats for 4. The rest of the aircraft was filled with cargo of various kinds. Most of it was marked Simba Chips "Fritos" in boxes, litrally loaded to the roof. The registraton of this aircaft is ZS-JLU and was based a long time ago in Windhoek. The officials at Ondangwa did not seem very much bothered that they passengers did not have visas, nor do they seem to have any other paperwork. The pilot was not even dressed in anyting that resembled a uniform. (Old army T-Shirt and track-suit pants). The pilot says they also operate a Chieftan on the same route and they fly almost daily from Pilansberg to Angola.

This whole setup does no seem quite right.

Is Pilansberg Airport now a Point of Entry?
If you fly cargo daily don't you need some sort of bi-lateral agreement?
Is a ZS aircraft alowed to fly as a Military flight in Angola. (Pilots's satement to officials in Ondangwa)?
There is a lot of other questions regarding this operation but they can wait.

Any body willing to answer the above or maybe look into this opertion.

Skaz
23rd Aug 2003, 17:53
very snazzy handle ,pal.

Do you think its wise to have your employer's company name pasted next to your posts? Somebody might take it to mean your posts are sanctioned by Mr G, and take it up with him......

Goldfish Jack
24th Aug 2003, 10:37
If you are so sure of your facts why not report it to the South African CAA and/or the Namiabian CAA.

Why must someone else investigate it on your behalf?

Don't know what is wrong with an army t-shirt and track suit pants - looks like a uniform to me for north Namibia!!!

freightboss
24th Aug 2003, 12:12
Skaz

You know, you are really becoming a pain in the neck with your continual winging and whining about everbody else's affairs or posts.

If you do not have anything constructive to add, just shut up...

Westair FSO
24th Aug 2003, 14:24
No 1: I have nothing to hide and I'm not ashamed of the ourfit I fly for.

No 2: If you can't answer the questions why do you bother to post a nosensical reply.

Lastly, if I thought he has done something wrong and I reported this guy to the CAA of SA do you think they will do something about it within the next 10 years?
I wonder if you would know the difference between an Aztec and a Baron?

clipboard
24th Aug 2003, 16:51
:D Come on guys, eezzeee now!

ZS-JLU is registered to a Closed Corporation in Pretoria called Carbase 0062 CC
P.O. Box 1067
Hartebeespoort

Carbase 0062 CC became the owner in February of 2002. This is according to the CAA records.

To answer some of your questions:

1. Pilansberg is a point of entry & departure
2. The aircraft and crew may well be on a legitimate military mission through the Air Force Reserve or Sqaudrons.
3. I'm pretty sure that if there were no cross border paperwork in place, or overflight permissions granted, it would not be possible to conduct these flights.
4. It may be some form of humanitarian or relief flights, ferrying medicines or essential foodstuffs to remote areas.
5. It is highly unlikely that these guys will be flying contraband or anything illegal.

Why don't you personally check with your Namibian CAA if this aircraft has flight clearances in your country, whether it files flight plans etc. You can also direct an email to the SACAA in Pretoria if you are concerned about the legitimacy of this aircraft.

By the way, why are you so interested or concerned about this aircraft, its crew and what its carrying?

Skaz
24th Aug 2003, 21:51
freightboss
firstly, its a valid point, think about it

secondly, ''continual winging and whining about everbody else's affairs or posts''....you got me there, name one example

thirdly , bite me

Westair FSO
I take it your last post was meant for me. So, I'll respond directly to you.

Think about what I said. There's lots of politics in aviation, especially in a small community like at Eros or in Southern Africa. Your post can and will be perceived differently to what you intend, (this b*llsh1t is a case in point) and having the name of the company that you work for posted next to it, can cause probs for YOU, not me.

I never said you were ashamed of the outfit you fly for. On the contrary, Westair is an excellent company to work for and should be an example to other operators. You and your colleagues are fortunate to work there.

Therefore, I dont think my reply was nonsensical at all.

Y'all have a nice day now

:ok:

Cave Troll
25th Aug 2003, 04:10
There are some people here that need to take a pill!

ct

helldog
28th Aug 2003, 11:56
Very fully loaded Aztec. You can never fully load an Aztec. That puppy will fly a tonne over max t/o. Shes a good old bus.

whodunnit2
1st Sep 2003, 13:02
Helldog,

Just about anything will fly at a weight greater than max T/O..... UNTIL it loses an engine.

I seem to remeber a chieftain operator out of FAGM who operated using the same sort of mentality. End result was tragic when 10 people died off the end of Rwy 29 after an engine failed just after rotation.

Just a thought.......

helldog
1st Sep 2003, 13:58
whodunnit,

Perhaps you did not pick up the sarcasm in my post. I dont make a habit of doing that kind of thing.

But the way, even if she was loaded to the limit at the elevations we operate from. She is not going to climb on one. Just close the other one and put 'er down.

Just to clarify.

warloc67
1st Sep 2003, 16:39
Saw the Astec at Wonderboom on Friday, apparently CAA grounded it. It seems they actually do react even it is sometimes slow.;)

Westair FSO
3rd Sep 2003, 16:55
Thanks to all who have posted replies, the questions was answered.

I think the problem may be solved and the skies should be safer for a while.

Please consider this discusion closed.

Thank you
:D

rags
8th Sep 2003, 05:35
Gentlepersons

Stop these wise cracks about SACAA not doing their job " ... last 10 years"

Over the last few years I have met and worked with SACAA inspectors that do have your job at heart. There are some very good people working under very difficult conditions.

If one has a problem like the Aztec operation, use the confidential reporting system or take that overworked cell phone out of your pocket and speak to them. You will find that the matter WILL be investigated. The paperwork is available on the CAA website (if it works)

I am glad that I do not need to fly an overloaded (even 1kg) Aztec They DO NOT FLY ON ONE ENGINE

Help CAA to make our sky safe
:ok: