PDA

View Full Version : no more ba staff in the jumpseat

moo
23rd Aug 2003, 08:14
BA News extract 21st August

BA's flight deck jump seat policy

THE UK Department of Transport has revised its regulations on the use of flight deck jump seats, which affects employees of all UK airlines, including British Airways.

With immediate effect, under the revised regulation, BA and BA CitiExpress employees (excluding flying crew travelling to or from a duty) using staff travel concession tickets are no longer allowed to travel in the flight deck.

BA staff travelling on duty are still allowed to use the jump seat on the flight deck, but only if there are no other seats available on the aircraft.

The use of the jump seat on the flight deck remains at the captain's discretion.

The Staff Travel Policy Guide and the Customer Service manuals are currently being amended to reflect these revised requirements.

All staff are asked not to request the use of a flight deck jump seat unless they are eligible as these could cause delays at the boarding gate.

Any eligible staff must have their British Airways ID card available since this has to be checked to comply with the Department for Transport requirements.

Hand Solo
23rd Aug 2003, 09:22
Not really news, and security related BA internal matters shouldn't be on this forum. Besides, if you publicise this fact the ground staff might walk out on strike again.

beardy
23rd Aug 2003, 09:54
What a terrible shame. The rearguard action by BA has failed, now they have to join the rest of the UK industry. I was rather hoping that their example would have given the rest of us the lever we need to reverse some of the ridiculous restrictions imposed by the DfT. I hope that the recent initiative by the TSA and ALPA to allow a return, albeit limited, to proper use of the flight deck jumpseat will influence the donkeys in our civil service.

411A
23rd Aug 2003, 11:57
One simple fact,
OBS seat use on the flight deck shoud be reserved for flight deck crew only...no one else should be allowed.

If staff (other than flight deck) want to travel, let 'em apply for a pass/subload ticket.

Not so hard to understand, now is it?:ooh:

B767300ER
23rd Aug 2003, 14:00
Either that, or tell them to go get their pilots' license.

5milesbaby
23rd Aug 2003, 17:46
411A/B767300ER

Not very constructive answers there and a VERY bad attitude to take. If you want to make an 'us and them' arguement and try to feel all high and mighty and keep the cockpit to 'Flight Deck Crew Only', keep burning those bridges as you are. Alternatively you can get down off your step ladders and join in with the rest of the industry employee's and say that this doesn't solve anything, more like hinders those just trying to enjoy their spare time.

How about Fam Flights? Is it now policy that these cannot be permitted even with the relevant paperwork and documents?

moo
23rd Aug 2003, 18:45
BA news is distributed to tens of thousands of employees and it can also be subscribed to. Also, this isn't a "security related BA matter", it is a new D.O.T. regulation and it affects all airlines if you read it closely:

quote "THE UK Department of Transport has revised its regulations on the use of flight deck jump seats, which affects employees of all UK airlines, including British Airways".

Not really an exclusive is it handsolo??

orange_bubble
23rd Aug 2003, 18:48
Same at easyJet so the company let us buy confirmed seats for staff travel @ £20 quid each return any where on the network. Pretty good and it takes all the hassel out of travelling.

Jumpseat days are over.

411A
23rd Aug 2003, 22:42
orange_bubble,
Your company has absolutely the right idea, and suspect it works well.
Personally have on all too many occasions been bombarded with requests for the OBS seat, and it can become rather a pain at times.
Having said this, suspect 'some' will resent having to spend the Stg20 for the pass, knowing how 'cheap' some folks are....:sad:

Avman
24th Aug 2003, 01:04
Well, I used to ask for the JS - full cabin or not, rebate or full fare - as an opportunity to see you pilot chappies playing with your expensive toys and exchanging useful professional operational chit-chat. Now I just have to sit in the cabin and get pi**ed! Shame really. I'm sure that many of your staff enjoyed JS seat travel for all the right reasons. I find it sad that some of you react with such snobbish disdain.

411A
24th Aug 2003, 10:14
Ah, but Avman, you are an ATC guy...a whole different kettle of fish.
Not only should fam flights be allowed for ATC folks (dispatch staff as well), they should be required, absolutely. It's called
operational necessity.

Other staff, relatives, cabin etc, should be in the back of the bus, where they belong.