PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide Or SAA

BAe 146-100
23rd Aug 2003, 01:21
Hi,

Me and my family are going to SA next year. We are flying from JNB to PLZ and also CPT-JNB. I was looking on the Nationwide website and the fares are very reasonable for a full service airline. What is Nationwide's service like compared to SAA? The other reason I would like to fly with them is because I would get a ride on the 727-100/200's and 737-200's :p. Have they got leather seats fitted on all of there aircraft?

BAe 146-100

P.S (This is the 3rd time I have posted this topic in this forum! I hope it won't get deleted like the last 2 times!)

George Tower
23rd Aug 2003, 02:37
Flown with Nationwide just the once - didn't give a damn about the leather seats as I was on the jump-seat of one their 727s. Not the most comfortable two hours but certainly very interesting to observe the role of the flight engineer as they're it's a three crew operation and very old technology.

BAe 146-100
23rd Aug 2003, 03:04
Hi,

Thanks for your reply George Tower, how did you get to be on the jump-seat of a Nationwide 727?

BAe 146-100

George Tower
23rd Aug 2003, 03:55
I asked politely and I was lucky enough to have a sympathetic captain - hardly rocket science. I know in the UK it is an automatic no-no these days, one of the sad realities of the post 9/11 world.

I'm very lucky to have had a lot of good experiencs and not only did I learn stuff but it's a damn useful way of motivating yourself to study for those ATPLs when it becomes tough going.

BAe 146-100
23rd Aug 2003, 04:13
Hi,

Would I get a jump-seat or a flight deck visit on Nationwide if I asked politely with the flight crew? I flew with UK charter airline Astraeus last week, didn't get a flight deck visit :(.

BAe 146-100

Flying Boat
23rd Aug 2003, 04:24
Don't forget their BAC1-11s, mainly 500s but a few 3 or 400s left.
When around Jo'burg, try to get to lanseria Airport, Midrand.
They refurb their ACs there, lovely leather Interiors & crawling into the very bowels of classic jets, ooooohhhhh, getting excited remembering my visit.
There were about 8 1-11s & 2 737-200s when I visited, a PACE airlines one from the states & an ex-French Charter one.
If you get there you might also see the ROVOS Air Convair 440 & C47.

Have a good trip.

FB :8

BAe 146-100
23rd Aug 2003, 04:46
Hi,

Flying Boat, just been looking at some pictures of Lanseria (HLA / FALA) on Airliners.net (www.airliners.net). HLA Looks like a very intresting airport to visit :).

BAe 146-100

Flying Boat
23rd Aug 2003, 05:03
It is, I went with a group of fellow students to Executive Turbine on the South of the Runway (the main PT6 Service facility in Africa) as well as Nationwide & a major small commuter operator (across the apron from Nationwide, think it was Rossair) preparing Airquairius F28s. We arranged our own visit, the school was Kack.

Nationwide has a BAC1-11 Sim in its building.

You might see several 1-11s & an ex Parcelforce Viscount where the hulks are left to rot.

If I remember rightly, there is a pleasure flight on Sunday Mornings over Pretoria & Jo'burg from Lanseria in either a DC3 or DC4 (saw them all the time) with a shampoo breakfast included.

Need any more info I'll help if I can.

FB:ok:

BAe 146-100
23rd Aug 2003, 05:17
Hi,

How far is Lanseria from Jo'burg? Might be able to have a trip there while waiting for our return flight to AMS. :D

Thanks
BAe 146-100

Flying Boat
23rd Aug 2003, 07:51
Lanseria is about 40km NNE of Jo'burg, a bit tight for a connection.

If returning from Cape Town you could possibly fly SunAir, FACT/CPT to Lanseria (business class config I believe), MD80ish, then taxi to FAJS/JNB.

In Cape town do the Cape Point Tour that includes the Penguin Colony just South of Simon's Town, a must. I was on my own but still took 43 excellent Penguin photos.

Look out for whales too, out to sea.

Once again have a good trip.

FB:ok:

PS flying with KLM, economy, be very careful with your handbaggage & hold luggage. They weighed everything in Jo'burg, I watched it as a spectator sport, very entertaining at times.
The Duty free area at FAJS is quite good but diamonds are cheaper on the high street.
Keep all your receipts because you can claim VAT back from up to 3 months there.

BAe 146-100
23rd Aug 2003, 16:57
Hi,

SunAir operate 2 DC-9-32's ZS-NRA (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/344941/M/) and ZS-NNN (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/265443/M/). The fares will be very expensive though! Anyone got some more comments about Nationwide!

Thanks
BAe 146-100

planecrazi
23rd Aug 2003, 17:24
I remember Lanseria being about northwest of Johannesburg, unless it's moved. I believe it was around 23nm from Johannesburg International or about 13 nm soulth of Hartebeespoot dam HBV.

It's about an hours drive from Johannesburg International Airport during normal hours.

WildFrequency
23rd Aug 2003, 17:26
You can pick a number of airlines to fly around SA, namely Comair/BA, SAA, Nationwide or SA's only low cost airline Kulula.com. All the above carriers do the CPT-JNB and JNB-PLZ.
Nationwide and Kulula.com would have the better fares.

Nationwide has 8XB737-200ADV, 2XB727-100/200 and one operational BAC1-11-500. The B737 are ex-Lufthansa, Air France, El Al and PACE. Leather seats they do have, but a seats a seat at the end of the day! What is important is the seat pitch is bigger than SAA's! With a polite request, seating on the jumpseat should'nt be a problem, show a licence or crew card if you have. Enjoy your trip.

BAe 146-100
23rd Aug 2003, 17:44
Hi,

WildFrequency, thanks for that! I think we will fly on Nationwide :D. Any more comments would be appreciated!

BAe 146-100

Flying Boat
23rd Aug 2003, 21:04
PC Yes you're right WNW not NNE (amazing how big a difference a QWERTY keyboard can mke) fingers not too nimble at the time.

My road distance was from the fact that I was based in Midrand, GC aprt was approx 22km from Joburg & it was about 20 km to Lanseria. C310 FAGC - FALA 5mins.
FAJS - FALA is 41km as the Ibis flies.

:ok:

silverknapper
23rd Aug 2003, 21:23
If its old airplanes your after get to Rand airport, there are some beauties there and it's a lot closer to FAJS.

SK

BAe 146-100
24th Aug 2003, 05:14
Hi,

Yes, I like old aircraft! Thats why I would like to fly on Nationwide!

BAe 146-100 :)

Flying Boat
24th Aug 2003, 23:38
Yes, even though I only did a touch & go there, I regularly used to see a DC4 & Carvair flying out to central Africa & heard of several other aged lovelies based there.

:ok:

BAe 146-100
27th Aug 2003, 21:11
Hi,

Here (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/220854/M/) is a picture of Rand Airport from the air. I have just found this DVD about Nationwide on World Air Routes (http://www.worldairroutes.com/Nationwide.html). Has anyone got this DVD?

BAe 146-100

PAXboy
29th Aug 2003, 00:57
Hi there 146 - didn't expect to see you over in this forum!! I am half South African and travel there reasonably often. I was there over last New Year and travelled (internal) with SA/Kulula/Comair/N'wide, my long haul carrier is usually VS, so I do pick up mileage with N'wide.

Nationwide are a good ordinary carrier, nothing exceptional but nothing to complain about. Friendly staff and a pleasant ride - that particular trip was JNB ~ CPT in a 732 on New Years Eve.

I did ride the 72 for one last time with Kulula on the same route a month earlier but I think that they have retired them now and are onto 734s.

I did get a jump seat ride on an SA internal but only because I knew the Captain!

Looks like you folks are doing the classic MAN/AMS then JNB/CPT/PLZ/JNB?? The garden route is always good. If you need more info, then you can always PM me if you wish.

BAe 146-100
29th Aug 2003, 01:57
Hi PAXboy, yes I have been to SA 2 times :D. For a full service airline Nationwide have good fares. We are doing the KLM route.

MAN-AMS, AMS-JNB KLM from October do direct flights to JNB and CPT :ok:. So that means we don't have to wait at JNB. Then the Nationwide flights JNB-PLZ, CPT-JNB.

Thanks
BAe 146-100

yambat
29th Aug 2003, 16:58
Hi 146

If you are keen on old airliners and doing the garden route, try Progress Aerodrome just outside Port Elizabeth. They had an old DH Rapide which I was lucky enough to fly in. I heard the wings were off for a spar mod but that was some time ago, maybe others may have some info.
Enjoy
YB