PDA

View Full Version : Floats In Alaska

yycpilot
23rd Aug 2003, 00:17
Can anyone please advise if it is possible to get a job flying floats in Alaska without a Green Card. The reason that I ask this is because I believe that there is a book out there advertising positions up there for foreign pilots. Was wondering if this was a gimmick or sales pitch.
Where are the best parts of Alaska to head for these positions.
Is Juneau a good starting point.
Safe flying to everyone.

kazumichik
12th Sep 2003, 11:54
Probably this is a gimmick/rip-off. All employers require you to submit a social security number and you can only get that if you have the right to work here. Not even dirtbag outfits will try to get around this - the stakes are just too high. And, post 9/11, U.S. immigration officials take a VERY dim view of being in the U.S. illegally. If you get nabbed you could get deported and banned from ever getting a U.S. visa ever again.

Marry an American girl (if you can stomach one) and then go to Juneau or Ketchikan around February and start pounding on doors. 500 on floats is often bandied about as a minimum. Also try the fishing lodges - rumor is they hire guys with much less. Look on the web. Expect dismal pay - $130/day is one number I've heard - and a short season Jun, Jul, Aug.

Hope this helps.