PDA

View Full Version : Vertigo

Grandad Flyer
22nd Aug 2003, 18:42
I have recently been suffering from a variety of symptoms and my GP thinks I might have a problem with my vestibular system/ vertigo.
I had a knock on the head about 6 weeks ago, which although hurt at the time, didn't knock me out or anything. I did get a big bruise though. For the last 4-5 weeks I have been suffering from headaches, tiredness, nausea, a bit forgetful and, more worryingly, feeling a bit dizzy - its a bit like when you've been out all night partying, have a couple of hours sleep, wake up and are given a plate of jellied eels. Or having just stepped off a boat after a rough journey.
The intensity varies. Sometimes its more a light headed feeling but if you asked me to close my eyes and walk in a straight line, I couldn't do it. With my eyes open I can manage it if I concentrate really hard.
My GP reckons that it might right itself in a couple of weeks.
The knock on the head might be totally unrelated, but why do I have this?
I have flown on days when my symptoms aren't too bad and it doesn't seem to affect me much, and I can do most normal things outside work.
Should I be off work?
How do they diagnose this problem?
Any help much appreciated.

Flyin'Dutch'
25th Aug 2003, 07:48
GF,

You wrote:

Should I be off work?

Should you fly?

It sounds as though your balance organ is off sync. (But not able to diagnose/treat on this forum of course)

Some of the symptoms you describe are in keeping with that (labyrinthitis) but some fit in better with a concussion (despite the absence of loss of conciousness, vomting etc)

In view of the persisting symptoms a re-visit to your GP seems a good idea and until this is sorted I would leave my flying gloves at home.

FD

ausdoc
25th Aug 2003, 09:28
Is it true vertigo (a sense of spinning or rotation), or is it dizziness? Is the problem worse when your head is in certain positions?

You certainly shouldn't be flying until it settles.