PDA

View Full Version : Harrier Bird Strike

Stonca
22nd Aug 2003, 16:25
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/3172189.stm

wub
22nd Aug 2003, 18:15
The usual quality reporting from the Beeb... crash landing...picture of Sea Harrier...:rolleyes:

jetstream7
22nd Aug 2003, 21:39
More reporting - this time from www.icwales.co.uk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
St Athan jet just misses main road Aug 22 2003

David Williamson, The Western Mail

HUNDREDS of houses, a railway line and a busy road were nearly hit by a Harrier Jump Jet yesterday when an emergency landing at RAF St Athan went wrong.

The pilot requested permission to land at the air base, west of Cardiff, but was unable to brake sufficiently when the plane hit the runway.

The aircraft hurtled on to a grass area and collided with a chain-link fence and a hawthorn hedge. The pilot emerged from the cockpit shaken but unhurt.

Firecrews rushed to the plane which was only metres away from a main road. They found that the jet had suffered little damage and it may be back in the air within days.

An inquiry into the incident is now under way.

The pilot had been on a routine training flight and requested permission to land when he was 15 miles away from St Athan.

Beeayeate
22nd Aug 2003, 22:30
By David Williamson, The Western Mail :
HUNDREDS of houses, a railway line and a busy road were nearly hit by a Harrier Jump Jet
Hundreds of houses! Didn't realise Harriers were that big! :* But no school this time. :hmm: Typical sensationalist reporting again.

Stonca
23rd Aug 2003, 02:18
This cr@p was in the South Wales Echo,

St Athan Community Councilor Dave Street said: "This goes to show what we've been worrying about for a while - things such as planes flying over houses and making unnecessary circuits whilst coming into land... the longer they go round and round the greater the risk"

A) If you don't want to be over flown by jets... then don't buy a house near a military airbase (and Cardiff International Airport).

B) I live very near to St. Athan and I've landed there on many occasions (admittedly in something less powerful than my dads lawn mower... but hopefully I'll touch down in something a little more powerful sometime soon) and I have to admit there are a number of houses in the circuit, but why build there? The base has been there for quite a number of years, and it was certainly there before the houses were.

Stonca

(Edited for an inability to spell)

MajorMadMax
23rd Aug 2003, 15:14
Hundreds of houses! Didn't realise Harriers were that big! But no school this time. Typical sensationalist reporting again.

They forgot to mention the orphange, nunnery, OAP home, and family of ducks it almost took out! :ooh:

Cheers! M2

Runaway Gun
23rd Aug 2003, 16:17
I hope that the baby-faced Rayban wearing TOPGUN jet pilot was immediately handcuffed, removed from the scene by burly MP's, and interrogated at length regarding his unnecessary danger to civilians, birds and passenger carrying airliners. :cool:

chris@wda
26th Aug 2003, 17:24
The company I work for has just bought St Athan, so that we can rebuild it for DARA. I'll ask them to put a bigger fence in.

M2 - you leave the ducks out of this. We have enough problems with them at the best of times!