PDA

View Full Version : Mel

alatriste
22nd Aug 2003, 06:49
I would like to Know where in the JAR-145 says it is legal to dispatch an airplane when its Repair interval for any inoperative system is overdue according its MEL.
Is it a common practice an "operational acceptance telex" issued by the operator until spare parts are available?

THANKS

LME (GOD)
24th Aug 2003, 02:33
In my experience, the company cannot extend an mel on its own authority, JAA airlines i used to work for the normal practice was the QA dept. would have to contact the NAA for authorisation to extend and MEL, and they need a bloody good reason to do it. The NAA i worked under were very restrictive granting extensions.
More often than not ythe aircraft was on a "no fix no fly" when the MEL expired. I suppose it depends on the realationship of the company with the NAA.:uhoh: :\

alatriste
24th Aug 2003, 03:20
Thank you for your info. It seems it is a very weird pratice just available for a very special cases and for specific and minor defects.
REGARDS

WideBodiedEng
25th Aug 2003, 06:01
There is a function whereby the Rectification Interval (Cat A, B, C or D) MAY be again extended under certain conditions which will be detailed in the MOE / MME. As the MOE has to be agreed by the NAA then it is official. Cant remember where it is written but it can be done. I'll see if I can find a ref somewhere.
Other instances which are used are 1 ext for downtime to investigate then another for decision etc then another for repair time etc etc. that is a bit of a joke but the CAA has been known to allow it!

mono
25th Aug 2003, 17:36
I agree with wide body,

Our company uses the RIE. It allows a one time extension of the same duration as the original MEL limit if spares, etc are not available for defect clearance. It is clearly written in the MOE. So therefore the CAA have seen and approved every word 'cough' :mad:

alatriste
26th Aug 2003, 00:00
ThanK you MONO and WIDEBODYENG it seems that practice it isnīt that weird. Anyhow, anybody does have JAR-145 references, cause of Iīm not in the CAA enviroment.

REGARDS

rwm
3rd Sep 2003, 14:17
Jar 145 is similar if not the same as Far 145.

cognac
3rd Sep 2003, 16:28
I believe that that's what the CARE report is for.