PDA

View Full Version : HELP! How do I reduce oedema from insect bite please...

brockenspectre
22nd Aug 2003, 03:18
Hi all

Having been job searching for weeks I have three interviews lined up over the next few days. Returning from walking my dog in the park yesterday I noticed a red patch over my right thumb joint with a small white circle in the centre.. as the day went on the patch got bigger, itchier and my thumb began to swell. I applied raw onion to the spot to try and pull out the poison (old fashioned remedy but was best I could do with what I had at home).

Waking today the swelling had spread and now the entire back of my hand is one big "cushion" of red and irritated skin, I can barely bend my thumb. I went to the pharmacy and was sold some Eurax cream which is to be used sparingly twice a day to relieve itching etc. The swelling is now moving to the wrist and I have had to remove a wristband I normally wear.

My question is, as my first interview is tomorrow afternoon, what can I do to help reduce this swelling? I am keeping my hand "raised" as much as possible but as I am right-handed this is easier said than done!

I would see my Dr but this is not exactly life-threatening and I therefore doubt I would get an appointment before next week...

:ok:

P.S. my worry is all about performing at the interview - after all, if I can't even shake hands (it would hurt too much and hand looks UGLY!)... so would YOU hire me if your first impression is of someone making excuses?!!

Whirlybird
22nd Aug 2003, 04:48
I've occasionally had reactions like that to insect bites, and antihistamine tablets usually seem to work. Though seeing a doctor might be a good idea if it continues to get worse.

woodey
22nd Aug 2003, 06:43
Yep! antihistamines (preferrably the non-drowsy-making type) and hydrocortisone cream. good luck with the interview!
Woodey

min
22nd Aug 2003, 22:18
I would see a Dr, personally, mainly to assess the possibility a stronger reaction next time if bitten again. You also need to make sure that your circulation is not compromised. In the interim, antihistamines. You might need some stronger ones, given the reaction, so, at the minimum, get a pharmacist to look at it rather than a pharmacy assistant if you're not going to your doctor.

An ice pack may also help to reduce the swelling - 20 minutes at a time, and don't apply the ice directly to the skin - wrap it in something first.

Good luck with the interviews :)

M.

Hulk
23rd Aug 2003, 20:25
Hi, I think you are allergic, and need something strong.
I would say to the interviewer I can give handshake only with my left hand .
got biten long time ago under my watch when driving a motocycle ,by something very nasty(kind of very very long ugly bee) . My arm has doubled in size. I was allergic to this kind of insect.
my arm was red, went to the pharmacy, gave me what I needed, took 2-3 days off ,3 days after, it was much better.

brockenspectre
23rd Aug 2003, 20:57
Thank you, all of you, for your replies here and in proon-chat. I am happy to say that waking this morning I found my hand/wrist almost back to normal. Still a slight puffiness and the "weal" of the bite/sting is still raised and ugly looking but ::gives sigh of relief:: I am on my way back to normal (well my normal heheheh :) ).

Before going to bed last night I put some propolis on the sting - propolis is the bee antiseptic you gargle with (in juice) to stop a sore throat? and for some reason as I was getting ready for bed the idea of using it popped into my head. Not sure if that helped or time itself was the healer (it IS three days since the sting).

Thanks again!

:ok: