Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Bournemouth-5

Old 17th Jun 2024, 20:52
  #861 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Wimborne
Posts: 35
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rivet Joint
Interesting. Thanks. Find it very odd that an operator rather than the OEM or a reputable freighter conversion outfit got this up and running. The A340 is not really the aircraft you choose for conversion especially when there are plentiful 767s, 757s, A330s, 777-2s and 777-3s sat in the desert with well established and popular conversion routes. The only explanation is the A340 is so undesirable that this outfit got them for dirt cheap and saw an opportunity to make a quick buck which is the hallmark of the owner. Iím surprised the CAA are allowing it to continue.
Theres a fairly simple answer to this.

The 75/76 and 330 will provide neither the payload nor range. This leaves the 340 or 777.

Second hand 777s are going for between 26 and 90 million - see here.

The most expensive 346, which is actually owned by European, was worth 6.52 million three years ago - see here.

If they have managed to manufacture them into cargo aircraft with minimal to no structural work, and therefore minimal costs, that sounds like a great business plan. Sure they're a little more expensive to run - about 10% per hour fuel burn over 777 - but ultimately that cost is passed on to the consumer so doesn't really matter to European if the work is still coming in.

It is clear that you are really anti the management of European, however they're a limited company so the owner doesn't really come into it, and as long as they're maintaining their legal obligations around safety/finance etc etc it really doesn't matter if some of their business practices are 'shady' (I'm not offering an opinion to be clear as I have no knowledge of what's being suggested).

Last edited by BOHskies; 17th Jun 2024 at 21:35.
BOHskies is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2024, 10:36
  #862 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Dorset UK
Age: 70
Posts: 1,931
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I see the Parkfied school is closing down next month.
An opportunity for the airport?
dixi188 is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2024, 10:40
  #863 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the doghouse (usually)
Posts: 297
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BOHskies
Theres a fairly simple answer to this.

The 75/76 and 330 will provide neither the payload nor range. This leaves the 340 or 777.

Second hand 777s are going for between 26 and 90 million - see here.

The most expensive 346, which is actually owned by European, was worth 6.52 million three years ago - see here.

If they have managed to manufacture them into cargo aircraft with minimal to no structural work, and therefore minimal costs, that sounds like a great business plan. Sure they're a little more expensive to run - about 10% per hour fuel burn over 777 - but ultimately that cost is passed on to the consumer so doesn't really matter to European if the work is still coming in.

It is clear that you are really anti the management of European, however they're a limited company so the owner doesn't really come into it, and as long as they're maintaining their legal obligations around safety/finance etc etc it really doesn't matter if some of their business practices are 'shady' (I'm not offering an opinion to be clear as I have no knowledge of what's being suggested).

I don't think there's any substance to this, it's just an agenda-driven post. If European were based at SOU I don't think you'd be hearing any criticism of them from this particular poster.
The Nutts Mutts is online now  
The following 4 users liked this post by The Nutts Mutts:
Old 18th Jun 2024, 11:24
  #864 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: La Manche
Posts: 35
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Nail on the head. This particular poster takes any opportunity to undermine or denigrate BOH, seeing it as an inferior airport and a fly in the ointment for future growth at their beloved SOU.

rustythumb is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by rustythumb:
Old 18th Jun 2024, 14:02
  #865 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Age: 44
Posts: 810
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BOHskies
Theres a fairly simple answer to this.

The 75/76 and 330 will provide neither the payload nor range. This leaves the 340 or 777.

Second hand 777s are going for between 26 and 90 million - see here.

The most expensive 346, which is actually owned by European, was worth 6.52 million three years ago - see here.

If they have managed to manufacture them into cargo aircraft with minimal to no structural work, and therefore minimal costs, that sounds like a great business plan. Sure they're a little more expensive to run - about 10% per hour fuel burn over 777 - but ultimately that cost is passed on to the consumer so doesn't really matter to European if the work is still coming in.

It is clear that you are really anti the management of European, however they're a limited company so the owner doesn't really come into it, and as long as they're maintaining their legal obligations around safety/finance etc etc it really doesn't matter if some of their business practices are 'shady' (I'm not offering an opinion to be clear as I have no knowledge of what's being suggested).
So youíre agreeing with my points then? That the A340 was chosen purely due to its low purchase costs rather than its suitability for the job? Which is part of why I find the whole set up curious. As you say, the main thing is that they are legal which at no point I have suggested they are not. Itís just curious how they are a special case. Any idea what they are carrying now the need for PPE has dropped off?

Originally Posted by The Nutts Mutts
I don't think there's any substance to this, it's just an agenda-driven post. If European were based at SOU I don't think you'd be hearing any criticism of them from this particular poster.
Originally Posted by rustythumb
Nail on the head. This particular poster takes any opportunity to undermine or denigrate BOH, seeing it as an inferior airport and a fly in the ointment for future growth at their beloved SOU.
Really? Think Iíve posted only a handful of times on this thread in the last few years. As you say yourself, European could not operate from SOU so it would be a strange choice for me to target them if I had a SOU agenda. The things I posted about are the curious choice of the A340 as a freighter, the fact there is no established market for such a conversion outside European and the fact their aircraft have ended up in Iran. Not sure I have mentioned BOH at all in my posts.
Rivet Joint is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2024, 14:19
  #866 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: San Cristůbal de La Laguna
Posts: 71
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not a special case. It's a fully-licenced STC under EASA - and European aren't even the only company planning to use the A340 as USC/Avensis will also do so, though admittedly with a main-deck cargo door installed. European already had a fleet of A340s pre-pandemic - including most of the current aircraft - so it made complete sense for them at the time.

Not sure what relevance Iran has, as the aircraft which ended up there had been sold and de-registered years prior. There's no evidence of European having had any prior knowledge or involvement.
amyisraelchai is online now  
Old 18th Jun 2024, 15:05
  #867 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 3,179
Received 511 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by rustythumb
We need to get Cyprus back on the departure boards with Jet2 or Ryanair. It's 45į out there at the moment.
I'd be steering well clear of anywhere that endures 40 plus degrees!

The extreme heat in the main summer months may eventually result in July and August becoming less high and more shoulder season with mid Autumn becoming more desireable. Just have to get the schools to shift their main holiday towards September and October!
ATNotts is online now  
Old 18th Jun 2024, 21:02
  #868 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Wimborne
Posts: 35
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rivet Joint
So youíre agreeing with my points then?
I wrote a really long post explaining my position but it deleted before it sent. I'm not writing it all again, therefore, in summary...

No, I think our opinions differ on European. I believe the 346 is suitable as its proving itself day in day out, I think it's great to have an alternative take on the norm, and if European are making money that's really all that matters.

If what others say is true, then our opinions differ on the airports. Southampton has its place as a business commuter hub. Bournemouth has its place as holiday, leisure and increasingly cargo. Bournemouth can do what Southampton can't, and vice versa. Both airports will survive, and in fact both airports will thrive. I do not believe that easyJet is the saviour of Southampton though and suspect that Bournemouth will also see some point to point services in the coming summers.

I'm here as a fan of aviation and a fan of travel, and I want to see it grow across the region as it benefits everyone in so many ways, so I will continue with a positive attitude towards both airports.

I will add - just watch this space on the A338 link road to Bournemouth airport (and for clarity I live west of BOH so it won't benefit me).
BOHskies is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by BOHskies:
Old 19th Jun 2024, 11:28
  #869 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Age: 44
Posts: 810
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by amyisraelchai
It's not a special case. It's a fully-licenced STC under EASA - and European aren't even the only company planning to use the A340 as USC/Avensis will also do so, though admittedly with a main-deck cargo door installed. European already had a fleet of A340s pre-pandemic - including most of the current aircraft - so it made complete sense for them at the time.

Not sure what relevance Iran has, as the aircraft which ended up there had been sold and de-registered years prior. There's no evidence of European having had any prior knowledge or involvement.
Interesting, letís see if the other operator get it up and running.

in respect of the airline in between European and Iran itís clearly a fake airline. Interestingly I see an article has conveniently appeared in CH aviation about the Gambian proxy that acted as the airline. Unfortunately itís behind a paywall. Obviously donít know the full facts of the deal but you would expect as part of the sanctions airlines have to consider who they sell their aircraft to but Iím not an expert.

QUOTE=BOHskies;11679462]I wrote a really long post explaining my position but it deleted before it sent. I'm not writing it all again, therefore, in summary...

No, I think our opinions differ on European. I believe the 346 is suitable as its proving itself day in day out, I think it's great to have an alternative take on the norm, and if European are making money that's really all that matters.

If what others say is true, then our opinions differ on the airports. Southampton has its place as a business commuter hub. Bournemouth has its place as holiday, leisure and increasingly cargo. Bournemouth can do what Southampton can't, and vice versa. Both airports will survive, and in fact both airports will thrive. I do not believe that easyJet is the saviour of Southampton though and suspect that Bournemouth will also see some point to point services in the coming summers.

I'm here as a fan of aviation and a fan of travel, and I want to see it grow across the region as it benefits everyone in so many ways, so I will continue with a positive attitude towards both airports.

I will add - just watch this space on the A338 link road to Bournemouth airport (and for clarity I live west of BOH so it won't benefit me).[/QUOTE]

Good point in respect of it being an alternative take on the norm.

By the way, I have not brought up SOU once. Others did that. I echo your sentiments though.
Rivet Joint is offline  
Old 19th Jun 2024, 15:38
  #870 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southampton
Posts: 177
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE



As you can see the radar off taxiway B is already in place on this plan therefore clearly not an obstruction to the plan, and there doesn't appear to be a time limit on the commencement of the works.[/QUOTE]

A quick look on Google maps and it shows the above shown mast and hockey stick track, as being completely separate from the new Radar itself, which definitely now looks like it would effect the carpark plan.
Dropoffcharge is offline  
Old 19th Jun 2024, 15:44
  #871 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dropoffcharge
[QUOTE

[img]https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1079x945/screenshot_20240616_225319_drive_09ed0513d2860eb0e8497ba717d a5052449cb499.jpg

As you can see the radar off taxiway B is already in place on this plan therefore clearly not an obstruction to the plan, and there doesn't appear to be a time limit on the commencement of the works.
A quick look on Google maps and it shows the above shown mast and hockey stick track, as being completely separate from the new Radar itself, which definitely now looks like it would effect the carpark plan.[/QUOTE]

Correct. The new Radar is slap bang in the middle of the drawing of the proposed car park. The nicely described ďhockey stick trackĒ allows access to another nav aid, possibly an NDB.

My assumption would be that this car park proposal will not become reality. Iím hopeful the school site & old wartime hangar will become a hotel, parking & apron for commercial ops.

Boebus_1 is offline  
Old 19th Jun 2024, 16:11
  #872 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Brighton uk
Posts: 1,118
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
JET 2

Reykjavik has been added for a few departures for the winter 25 /26 season
Guessing a few more city destinations will be added and hopefully a new ski route in the future
MARKEYD is online now  
The following 5 users liked this post by MARKEYD:
Old 21st Jun 2024, 19:46
  #873 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Wimborne
Posts: 35
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Travel Interchange

New planning application in for demolition of the MT building and addition of a new travel interchange - 8/24/0378/PNDEM



I'm guessing from that road layout, removal of the old taxi car park and vicinity to Arrivals that is a new taxi rank?



Last edited by BOHskies; 21st Jun 2024 at 20:44.
BOHskies is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 22nd Jun 2024, 10:29
  #874 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Location: Dublin
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Intrigued as to what those two new structures are. One attached to the walkway in the brownfield site between the terminals and the other right next to the domestic arrivals area. Looks like the latter is a new domestic arrival area?
Irishshamrock is offline  
Old 22nd Jun 2024, 17:32
  #875 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Wimborne
Posts: 35
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Slightly different airline on the ground today... then again, that's a company I've never thought of before.


BOHskies is offline  
Old 22nd Jun 2024, 18:49
  #876 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Wimborne
Posts: 35
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Another part of the unseen investment being made at BOH.


BOHskies is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2024, 13:18
  #877 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: EGHH or thereabouts
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning applications still coming in dribs and drabs. Latest one 8/24/0393/SCRN has more on the parking plans.
ShedDriver is online now  
Old 26th Jun 2024, 18:42
  #878 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Wimborne
Posts: 35
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Expected to be sufficient until year 26/27 when expected passenger nunbers will be 1.8m.

Passenger numbers currently anticipated to be 1.1m this year 2024/25. Jet2 expecting 300k passengers next year.

That's a whole 400k passengers, and another 6+ flights a day and/or a couple more based aircraft by the following summer. Clearly a whole lot of growth is still to come.
BOHskies is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 27th Jun 2024, 12:24
  #879 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 744
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be very surprised if we don't hear news soon from both Ryanair and Jet2 of further expansion to 3rd based aircraft each.

This would then mean 1.8m passengers in the 2026/27 FY to end March 2027 are easily delivered. Possibly over 2m in calendar year 2027 representing huge expansion.

The airport must build on this growth by ensuring easyJet add services. There is no reason why easyJet can't put growth through at SOU and BOH, but route choice is important. For example (and only an example) if easyJet were to do add daily AMS flight, it would make more sense from BOH and not SOU given their existing KLM service and proximity to LHR-AMS countless services.
shamrock7seal is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 27th Jun 2024, 12:59
  #880 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: La Manche
Posts: 35
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, it would be great to see more orange planes gradually join the departures board at BOH.

Given that KLM are not going to join the party any time soon, a regular service to AMS would be welcome.

If I could pick four routes I'd like to see Easy serve from Bournemouth in the next couple of years they would be AMS, CDG/ORY (don't mind), LCA, BFS/BHD (again don't mind).
rustythumb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.