Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

British Airways

Old 15th Apr 2019, 23:51
  #281 (permalink)  
Paxing All Over The World
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hertfordshire, UK.
Age: 67
Posts: 10,218
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
This may well have been answered before: The 744 fleet - what is the final (final) end date?
PAXboy is offline  
Old 17th Apr 2019, 22:21
  #282 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 329
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2024 I heard.
OntimeexceptACARS is offline  
Old 21st Apr 2019, 21:37
  #283 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 77
Posts: 821
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-BYGC/BOAC:
Is it just me or what? Having photographed G-BYGC on arrival from the paintshop in horrible weather in February, I thought I ought to try to get some shots in better weather. Today was an excellent opportunity and I caught it arriving around mid-day in full chat sunshine. Smashing! Except the blue used on the paint job seems wrong to me, but it could just be a duff memory. I am thinking back to the bad old days when BOAC started flying the VC10 into Aden and I would swear the blue on those aircraft was dark enough to be almost black. Similarly, if you look at the example at Duxford, that too is a very dark blue. The current shade on G-BYGC seems virtually washed out to me and not at all how it used to be.
Or is it just me...?
Which reminds me; about a year ago in this thread, people were discussing how BA got to Karachi from Heathrow, noting all the various aircraft types and routings. Nobody seems to have remembered the VC that used to go via Jeddah to Karachi. My first trip on that service was mid 1978 when taking up a post in Jeddah and the aircraft was going on to Karachi before returning to Jeddah to collect the next batch of 'escapees' for the hoeward trip to London!
KelvinD is offline  
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 08:47
  #284 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: London UK
Posts: 7,731
Likes: 0
Received 71 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by KelvinD
G-BYGC/BOAC:

Today was an excellent opportunity and I caught it arriving around mid-day in full chat sunshine.
I arrived into T5 a few hours later, it was on a stand at the north end of the remote pier as we taxied in, and notably caught the attention of several older pax on the left hand side as we passed.
WHBM is offline  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 16:37
  #285 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Age: 53
Posts: 1,463
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LGW-FLL gone as of end of summer 19
VickersVicount is offline  
Old 26th Apr 2019, 14:33
  #286 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VickersVicount
LGW-FLL gone as of end of summer 19
Just a little surprised at this. Any ideas why? Have they plans for a more lucrative route from LGW? Travelled on the route earlier this year and the aircraft was full both ways. I know 'bums on seats'
is not an accurate indication of profit on a route but the fares were a par with those into MCO and TPA.
Low Cost Eng is offline  
Old 26th Apr 2019, 16:10
  #287 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Croatia
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are your thoughts on applying as a cabin crew.?
Tamii is offline  
Old 26th Apr 2019, 16:21
  #288 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 15,990
Received 311 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Tamii
What are your thoughts on applying as a cabin crew.?
I'm too old.

DaveReidUK is online now  
Old 26th Apr 2019, 16:25
  #289 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Croatia
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ohhh comeee onn haha
Tamii is offline  
Old 26th Apr 2019, 16:30
  #290 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: scotland
Posts: 761
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Low Cost Eng
Just a little surprised at this. Any ideas why? Have they plans for a more lucrative route from LGW? Travelled on the route earlier this year and the aircraft was full both ways. I know 'bums on seats'
is not an accurate indication of profit on a route but the fares were a par with those into MCO and TPA.
Well DY have moved to MIA from LGW. Maybe going to be a new flight to MIA.
goldeneye is offline  
Old 26th Apr 2019, 21:15
  #291 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Posts: 734
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Low Cost Eng
Just a little surprised at this. Any ideas why? Have they plans for a more lucrative route from LGW? Travelled on the route earlier this year and the aircraft was full both ways. I know 'bums on seats'
is not an accurate indication of profit on a route but the fares were a par with those into MCO and TPA.
It was a spoiler flight to compete with Norwegian, but IAG/BA are hard nosed when it comes to profitably, I would say it was loss making, and BA probably are now just going to play the waiting game with Norwegian.
SealinkBF is offline  
Old 27th Apr 2019, 08:12
  #292 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: London UK
Posts: 7,731
Likes: 0
Received 71 Likes on 35 Posts
For the first time, I used the "Self Bag Drop" at T5 when travelling with the family. Three of us. Two previously stated at check in as having a bag. Picked up boarding passes first at the separate PYOBP machine, entered my booking details, all three BPs came out together. Then on to the bag drop.

Entered my BP for recognition, it says "Load heaviest bag first". So I do, and process that. It then says "Is there another bag ?". Answered "Yes".

Immediately it displayed "Pay £65", and lit up the credit card reader. Thought about it, it evidently can only work with one BP at a time, and doesn't do groups on a reservation at all.

Now I can only think that either the programming of these was done by interns who had just completed unit 1.01 of their IT course at the local Tech, or alternatively someone is hoping for the Alex Cruz "Employee of the month award for the most sneaky way to stiff our less-informed customers". I wonder which it is ?
WHBM is offline  
Old 27th Apr 2019, 09:20
  #293 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 67
Posts: 868
Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
I never try to use the automation as much as possible - I will always go to the check in at T5 - the staff are usually very nice, and then toddle off to the Galleries Lounge for some victualling.

On my way back I hate the E passport gates and will go to the human interface Q lol
rog747 is offline  
Old 27th Apr 2019, 09:54
  #294 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 409
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KelvinD
G-BYGC/BOAC:
Is it just me or what? Having photographed G-BYGC on arrival from the paintshop in horrible weather in February, I thought I ought to try to get some shots in better weather. Today was an excellent opportunity and I caught it arriving around mid-day in full chat sunshine. Smashing! Except the blue used on the paint job seems wrong to me, but it could just be a duff memory. I am thinking back to the bad old days when BOAC started flying the VC10 into Aden and I would swear the blue on those aircraft was dark enough to be almost black. Similarly, if you look at the example at Duxford, that too is a very dark blue. The current shade on G-BYGC seems virtually washed out to me and not at all how it used to be.
Or is it just me...?
Which reminds me; about a year ago in this thread, people were discussing how BA got to Karachi from Heathrow, noting all the various aircraft types and routings. Nobody seems to have remembered the VC that used to go via Jeddah to Karachi. My first trip on that service was mid 1978 when taking up a post in Jeddah and the aircraft was going on to Karachi before returning to Jeddah to collect the next batch of 'escapees' for the hoeward trip to London!
The VC10 is still my favourite aircraft, I never had the chance to fly on one, I do remember as a young travel agent consulting the BA timetable in early to mid 80s to see where the VC10 operated to, there weren't many destinations from memory.
BACsuperVC10 is offline  
Old 27th Apr 2019, 12:22
  #295 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: derbyshire
Posts: 185
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BACsuperVC10
The VC10 is still my favourite aircraft, I never had the chance to fly on one, I do remember as a young travel agent consulting the BA timetable in early to mid 80s to see where the VC10 operated to, there weren't many destinations from memory.
Agree with everything you say. The VC10 was a magnificent aircraft and I wasn't lucky enough to fly on one, I wish I had though.

I was cross when BOAC having told Vickers what specs they required, such as being able to take off with a full load in a hot and high airport, then decided they would rather have 707s. No wonder we didn't sell many VC10s when our nationalised airline didn't want them.
VC10man is offline  
Old 27th Apr 2019, 13:27
  #296 (permalink)  
Paxing All Over The World
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hertfordshire, UK.
Age: 67
Posts: 10,218
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
British Airways is to scrap its daytime flights from Johannesburg to Heathrow in order to cash in on the collapse of Jet Airways.

The Independent
PAXboy is offline  
Old 16th May 2019, 19:11
  #297 (permalink)  
Paxing All Over The World
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hertfordshire, UK.
Age: 67
Posts: 10,218
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Talking

This is a smasher: British Airways criticised for selling ‘afternoon tea’ that doesn’t include any tea
Independent via Yahoo

I do like the comment from one directed at BA;
Let me guess, BA, you removed the tea from afternoon tea based on customer feedback in order to enhance the afternoon experience?
PAXboy is offline  
Old 16th May 2019, 19:16
  #298 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Age: 53
Posts: 1,463
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am glad, i don't like tea.
VickersVicount is offline  
Old 17th May 2019, 09:57
  #299 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Stralya
Posts: 71
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VickersVicount
I am glad, i don't like tea.
Call yourself an Englishman??
wondrousbitofrough is offline  
Old 17th May 2019, 10:33
  #300 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Age: 53
Posts: 1,463
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wondrousbitofrough
Call yourself an Englishman??
Infact, no....
VickersVicount is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.