Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Isle of Man-2

Old 15th Oct 2020, 17:14
  #621 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bedford, UK
Age: 67
Posts: 1,260
Nobody is selling anyone out, it's just a reflection of the diverse variety of opinion. Language is important. My brother in Laxey certainly has his concerns about the absence of an exit strategy. It is not sensible to base everything on the availability of an effective vaccine any time soon. Given that European countries went into lockdown, look at ther situation now. The IoM will one day face the same situation with a virus naive population and very limited hospital resources so what's the plan and what is the maximum tolerable commercial loss?
Mr Optimistic is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2020, 17:32
  #622 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: earth
Posts: 769
Some of you talk about the abscence of an exit strategy. The next step has already been defined.

https://gefthemongoose.com/blog/iomg...y?rq=Infection
BORDERS MOVE FROM 4 TO 3 IF UK HAS AN INFECTION RATE OF 1 IN 5,000

lfc84 is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2020, 17:37
  #623 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In the house
Posts: 161
Originally Posted by 116d View Post
From afar, it sounds as though strategy is being made up as they go along.
And what's wrong with that fella. That's how everything works over here.
Tinwald is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2020, 19:34
  #624 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: EGAC
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by Tinwald View Post
And what's wrong with that fella. That's how everything works over here.

And you think BoJo and Co. have a carefully thought out plan?
Jenny Tails is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2020, 20:28
  #625 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: EGAC
Posts: 72
My reason for checking in on the EGNS thread was actually that I'd heard murmurings of LS looking to operate there next year as they are with EGJJ. It appears that has been answered with the borders discussion
Jenny Tails is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2020, 20:53
  #626 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In the house
Posts: 161
Jenny fella-ess, Fort Knox would be a walk-in compared to here.
Tinwald is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2020, 21:07
  #627 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: London
Posts: 189
I simply post that I’m surprised airlines keep putting dates back and and why they are not just simply removing all from sale due to the border ‘dispute’ we will call it based on what I’ve seen. Next someone will suggest that the Isle of Man will leave the U.K. just to put icing on the cake
flyerguy is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2020, 21:31
  #628 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ellan vannin
Posts: 212
Originally Posted by flyerguy View Post
I simply post that I’m surprised airlines keep putting dates back and and why they are not just simply removing all from sale due to the border ‘dispute’ we will call it based on what I’ve seen. Next someone will suggest that the Isle of Man will leave the U.K. just to put icing on the cake
Cannot leave what you are not part of
manx crab is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2020, 21:41
  #629 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: London
Posts: 189
Originally Posted by manx crab View Post
Cannot leave what you are not part of
I should have stated ‘fully’ leave the U.K. and become solely independent.
flyerguy is offline  
Old 16th Oct 2020, 10:27
  #630 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ISLE OF MAN
Age: 71
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by JSCL View Post
I’ll be frank, I have travelled off the Island only a matter of weeks ago and travelled to four other countries (including the UK), then completed my self isolation period. It was very interesting to see different approaches to the virus and more than ever, makes me think the IOM should align itself less with the UK and how the situation goes there, compared to what I’ve seen elsewhere. Everywhere other than the UK actually had the feeling of normality, bar the obvious limitations regarding mask usage in certain scenarios and settings. Not like that which I have become accustomed to, but not far from it.

I think outside of the older population, most folk are starting to see that whilst this current situation is a benefit to living in this great Island, it has also shown how small the place can feel. It’s not a matter of selling out, but a more thought out approach to facilitating certain types of travel with a more rigorous testing regime. You cannot think only about the here and now, but must think ahead and beyond the virus.
I could not agree with you more. ''A more rigorous testing regime'' has been wholly absent here in the Isle of Man. The brilliant Rachel Glover is the expert in molecular ecology, bio-surveillance, bioinformatics and genomics who found some old disused testing equipment at Noble's and got it back up-and-working thereby providing the locally based testing facilities which have been of such very great benefit to the island. She is seriously furious at the IOMG's hugely inadequate scope of its testing regime. She has gone on record now with some of her anger and at yesterday's IOMG Press Conference the Health Minister tried to address her complaints but it sounded as if he really failed to do that. You can see some of Rachel's views on this here (see her posts on 8 & 13 October 2020): https://twitter.com/rachomics?lang=en

I am going to be away from more than occasional very limited online access for the next couple of days so I shall just wish everyone a very good weekend. Stay well.
milleriom is offline  
Old 19th Oct 2020, 08:02
  #631 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW England
Posts: 144
Originally Posted by Jenny Tails View Post
That is certainly a sentiment shared with others that I have spoken to who live on your island.

I'd be very careful of your current Covid-free status. It certainly sounds like there are people (JCSL et al) that would sell you out for their share of silver coins.
With respect, discussions and critique about what the Isle of Man are doing (or not doing) is not calling for them to sell out. I'm sure there are people both on and off the island who would like some clarity about what the next steps are. I could give you some examples about how my extended family have been impacted so far because of the border situation and what's on the line next year, but I won't.

Timescales, even if they are loaded with conditions, would help a lot of people plan for the future.

Last edited by 116d; 19th Oct 2020 at 08:27.
116d is offline  
Old 19th Oct 2020, 08:10
  #632 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW England
Posts: 144
Originally Posted by lfc84 View Post
Some of you talk about the abscence of an exit strategy. The next step has already been defined.

https://gefthemongoose.com/blog/iomg...y?rq=Infection
I noted that a while ago, hence my comment criticising the government for making it up as they go along because I don't recall that figure being quoted when they first announced the stages. On current form, it will be many months before infection rates are at the point where, by their own measures, they will consider easing things further.

We were due to be over there this Christmas, however I'm already working to the assumption it's not going to happen and not even booked any travel. It took me over 6 weeks to get a refund from easyJet for a cancelled trip back in May and only within the last fortnight we received a refund from Virgin Holidays for a cancelled US trip in September. I'm currently very reluctant to part with my cash to travel anywhere whilst there's no guarantees it will happen and for as long as the goalposts on quarantine rules for arrivals into the UK continue to be changed at short notice.
116d is offline  
Old 19th Oct 2020, 08:26
  #633 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW England
Posts: 144
Originally Posted by milleriom View Post
I could not agree with you more. ''A more rigorous testing regime'' has been wholly absent here in the Isle of Man. The brilliant Rachel Glover is the expert in molecular ecology, bio-surveillance, bioinformatics and genomics who found some old disused testing equipment at Noble's and got it back up-and-working thereby providing the locally based testing facilities which have been of such very great benefit to the island. She is seriously furious at the IOMG's hugely inadequate scope of its testing regime. She has gone on record now with some of her anger and at yesterday's IOMG Press Conference the Health Minister tried to address her complaints but it sounded as if he really failed to do that. You can see some of Rachel's views on this here (see her posts on 8 & 13 October 2020): https://twitter.com/rachomics?lang=en

I am going to be away from more than occasional very limited online access for the next couple of days so I shall just wish everyone a very good weekend. Stay well.
It looks like you and I may be more aligned on our thoughts about all this than I initially gave you credit for.

My take is if the testing regime was more comprehensive, the island will be much better prepared if/when COVID transmission in the community returns. From afar, I do get the impression there's an element of complacency due to the borders being practically closed and a near-normal summer being possible thanks to social distancing protocols being binned back 4 months ago. Additionally, if similar islands such as Jersey can implement testing schemes to allow some sort of normality of movement on/off the island. then it's surely not beyond the Isle of Man's capabilities to implement something similar if they really wanted. Many places elsewhere are learning to live with the virus until it either burns out or a vaccine comes along. It's in the Isle of Man's interests to be able to do likewise. Dr Glover is right when she tweeted that the island can't completely keep it out (see events over the last 6 weeks), but it can be managed, as well as making the point that instead of using data from the UK the government can make decisions using their own data.
116d is offline  
Old 19th Oct 2020, 11:17
  #634 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ISLE OF MAN
Age: 71
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by Tinwald View Post
Well said Tonyq. Mr Miller should pop into the Albie and see how 'our people' react with his holier than thou attitude. My betting he's well retired with a nice fat pension happy to miss out on the cruises for a wee while.
Sorry Tinwald, but you are wrong on both counts. And I am very busy so not interested in taking up the suggestion to 'pop into the Albie' nor any other pub!

You will see above and below that the discussion in which I have partly participated has moved along to focus more now on the specific topic of testing regimes or rather the lack thereof.

I hope that you approve of what 116D and I are saying.
milleriom is offline  
Old 19th Oct 2020, 11:19
  #635 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ISLE OF MAN
Age: 71
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by 116d View Post
It looks like you and I may be more aligned on our thoughts about all this than I initially gave you credit for.

My take is if the testing regime was more comprehensive, the island will be much better prepared if/when COVID transmission in the community returns. From afar, I do get the impression there's an element of complacency due to the borders being practically closed and a near-normal summer being possible thanks to social distancing protocols being binned back 4 months ago. Additionally, if similar islands such as Jersey can implement testing schemes to allow some sort of normality of movement on/off the island. then it's surely not beyond the Isle of Man's capabilities to implement something similar if they really wanted. Many places elsewhere are learning to live with the virus until it either burns out or a vaccine comes along. It's in the Isle of Man's interests to be able to do likewise. Dr Glover is right when she tweeted that the island can't completely keep it out (see events over the last 6 weeks), but it can be managed, as well as making the point that instead of using data from the UK the government can make decisions using their own data.
Thank you and well said. I totally agree with all that you say in the para above.
milleriom is offline  
Old 19th Oct 2020, 11:24
  #636 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ISLE OF MAN
Age: 71
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by Tonyq View Post
I have no idea who you are, or why you have suddenly appeared on this forum, making wild, sweeping, unsubstantiated statements, and purporting to speak on behalf of the majority of the Isle of Man population.

Let me give you a reality check. You don't!

Yes, the IOMG have done some things well, but it is most definitely not a universal view that they have done everything well and it is clear that they do not have a credible exit strategy, ready to be implemented when the time is right (which it obviously isn't now).

I concur with JCSL that there are several elements of the borders policy which are clearly unsustainable, and many people are frustrated by where we are, and the lack of clarity about where we are heading.

Anyway, as this is an aviation forum, can I suggest you take your views to Manx Forums (www.manxforums.com) where you will definitely find people who are prepared to indulge in the kind of debate you seem to be looking for!
Thank you for your unsolicited advice Tony but as we do not live in a tyrannical country I shall continue to exercise my uninterrupted lifetime habit of taking my opinions to anywhere that I choose to take them - entirely uninfluenced by your own views on where I should take them!
milleriom is offline  
Old 19th Oct 2020, 12:29
  #637 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: EGAC
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by 116d View Post
Timescales, even if they are loaded with conditions, would help a lot of people plan for the future.
I belive they have already been given. When the UK infection levels drop to 1 in 5000 people.
Jenny Tails is offline  
Old 19th Oct 2020, 12:38
  #638 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: IOM
Posts: 916
Originally Posted by Jenny Tails View Post
I belive they have already been given. When the UK infection levels drop to 1 in 5000 people.
I've said it before and I'll say it again to anyone: a policy based on the UK is destined for long term pains here.

It is not the only place we do business with or where residents have families. There needs to be a strategy for opening up to other jurisdictions and supporting the respective travel links.
JSCL is offline  
Old 19th Oct 2020, 16:47
  #639 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In the house
Posts: 161
Thanks JSCL.

And Mr Miller, you sound as pompous, arrogant and patronizing in your last post as you did in your first.
Tinwald is offline  
Old 19th Oct 2020, 19:37
  #640 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ISLE OF MAN
Age: 71
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by Tinwald View Post
Thanks JSCL.

And Mr Miller, you sound as pompous, arrogant and patronizing in your last post as you did in your first.
And you don't?

Last edited by milleriom; 20th Oct 2020 at 05:57.
milleriom is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.