Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Edinburgh-3

Old 2nd Jan 2020, 22:33
  #1661 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9
TUI NAP

Monday morning Naples looks like itís no longer available with TUI

EDI-DLM-NCL-DLM-EDI replacing it

Also the Freebird/ďOther CarrierĒ Sunday DLM is gone too

Last edited by natmci; 3rd Jan 2020 at 09:19.
natmci is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 08:51
  #1662 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by natmci View Post
Monday morning Naples looks like itís no longer available with TUI

EDI-DLM-NCL-DLM-EDI replacing it
Yes the NAP flight has been gone for a while but there was still a gap in the morning. Disappointing that the aircraft will now be operating a w-pattern elsewhere rather than operating another route from EDI. NCL is already planned to have four based aircraft yet TUI canít even fully utilise one aircraft from EDI, a much busier airport than NCL. Last time I checked NAP was still showing for S21 so hopefully it will eventually start or some other new route.
ROC10 is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 08:55
  #1663 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by Plane mad 134 View Post
Next year that will change to only Sunday it will be away as the Sharm El Sheikh will be on a Monday, so either it will swap with a MAN based aircraft on a Sunday, undergo routine checks at EDI on a Sunday or they will fill the gap with an extra weekly flight.
Yes, if the SSH does end up operating (I wouldnít hold my breath with TUI) then Sunday will be the only day with no flights. However, PFO is significantly reduced next winter compared to this year (although I believe this is the case across most bases and is probably cruise related), meaning there will be no Wednesdays flights for much of November, all of Dec/Jan/Feb and much of March.
ROC10 is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 09:27
  #1664 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,576
Don't they just use easyJet on dates when they don't fly themselves?
inOban is online now  
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 09:45
  #1665 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by inOban View Post
Don't they just use easyJet on dates when they don't fly themselves?
Looking at the TUI website it doesnít seem that theyíve got any holidays with flights on easyJet anymore, from any of their airports

Might be linked to easyJet Holidays launching
natmci is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 10:47
  #1666 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Posts: 887
Originally Posted by ROC10 View Post


Yes the NAP flight has been gone for a while but there was still a gap in the morning. Disappointing that the aircraft will now be operating a w-pattern elsewhere rather than operating another route from EDI. NCL is already planned to have four based aircraft yet TUI can’t even fully utilise one aircraft from EDI, a much busier airport than NCL. Last time I checked NAP was still showing for S21 so hopefully it will eventually start or some other new route.
EDI is a busier airport you are right but TUI have well known aircraft issues and Newcastle has lost 2x Thomas Cook A321 aircraft for Summer 2020, People still want to fly from here aswell for their holidays.
LiamNCL is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 10:54
  #1667 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by LiamNCL View Post
EDI is a busier airport you are right but TUI have well known aircraft issues and Newcastle has lost 2x Thomas Cook A321 aircraft for Summer 2020, People still want to fly from here aswell for their holidays.
Absolutely, Iím not disputing that. Itís great that thereís significant expansion at NCL from TUI, I just wish it wasnít at the expense of EDI which only has one based aircraft compared to NCLís four. There is however a chance some of the recently announced expansion from various bases will be reversed for S20, perhaps TUI are no longer able to commit to 4x738 at NCL all week and are filling some gaps with w-patterns. It could be a while still before we know for sure TUIís plans for S20.
ROC10 is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 10:57
  #1668 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Posts: 887
Originally Posted by ROC10 View Post


Absolutely, I’m not disputing that. It’s great that there’s significant expansion at NCL from TUI, I just wish it wasn’t at the expense of EDI which only has one based aircraft compared to NCL’s four. There is however a chance some of the recently announced expansion from various bases will be reversed for S20, perhaps TUI are no longer able to commit to 4x738 at NCL all week and are filling some gaps with w-patterns. It could be a while still before we know for sure TUI’s plans for S20.
I understand where you are coming from but its happening here too aswell, TUI have pulled Santorini and Agadir and now have a NCL aircraft operating a PMI W-Pattern with Humberside ? Really cant see the point in operating flights to Humberside when Doncaster is close enough especially with what will be a tight summer aircraft wise.
LiamNCL is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 11:42
  #1669 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,576
Originally Posted by natmci View Post

Looking at the TUI website it doesnít seem that theyíve got any holidays with flights on easyJet anymore, from any of their airports

Might be linked to easyJet Holidays launching
So that's holidays via Dubrovnik, Alicante, and some parts of their Lakes and Mountains, all gone?
inOban is online now  
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 15:18
  #1670 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 984
I imagine that TUI might retrench from smaller markets where EasyJet are dominant. Edinburgh would fit this bill and Luton is in a similar position. There are some places where they might perceive they might take Easy on successfully ( obviously Gatwick and Manchester and Bristol perhaps). This is likely to be exacerbated by a shortage of aircraft.
22/04 is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 17:14
  #1671 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,576
It depends at what price level easyJet are pitching their holidays. Edinburgh is quite a prosperous area and I'm surprised that TUI haven't grown a larger longhaul holiday business out of EDI, although they have recently been using Qatar for this.
inOban is online now  
Old 4th Jan 2020, 15:24
  #1672 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by inOban View Post
It depends at what price level easyJet are pitching their holidays. Edinburgh is quite a prosperous area and I'm surprised that TUI haven't grown a larger longhaul holiday business out of EDI, although they have recently been using Qatar for this.
This was also my thinking, their long-hail offering from EDI has always been fairly pathetic and whilst it’s better than nothing, it’s certainly disappointing. Even DSA will see much more long-haul from TUI and it’s not as if there are other airlines serving Orlando or Cancun from EDI (or other Caribbean destinations for that matter). Even for short-haul though, there are routes not flown by EZY/RYR from EDI that TUI operate from other bases which are much smaller airports that I’m confident would do well from EDI. Of course however, I’m sure TUI know what is best for them (well given limited capacity anyway).

I arrived back into EDI yesterday evening on a TUI flight and the crew announced they were “launching a new route from Edinburgh to Naples for this summer”, along with SSH from November. So clearly the crews haven’t been informed of the dropped NAP for S20.
ROC10 is offline  
Old 4th Jan 2020, 22:46
  #1673 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Falkirk
Posts: 159
TUI

Originally Posted by ROC10 View Post


This was also my thinking, their long-hail offering from EDI has always been fairly pathetic and whilst itís better than nothing, itís certainly disappointing. Even DSA will see much more long-haul from TUI and itís not as if there are other airlines serving Orlando or Cancun from EDI (or other Caribbean destinations for that matter). Even for short-haul though, there are routes not flown by EZY/RYR from EDI that TUI operate from other bases which are much smaller airports that Iím confident would do well from EDI. Of course however, Iím sure TUI know what is best for them (well given limited capacity anyway).

I arrived back into EDI yesterday evening on a TUI flight and the crew announced they were ďlaunching a new route from Edinburgh to Naples for this summerĒ, along with SSH from November. So clearly the crews havenít been informed of the dropped NAP for S20.
SSH only starts in Nov2020 through to April 2021 when Naples then takes over the Monday slot through S21, according to their timetable on the website.
There seams to be a disconnect with what is being advertised and what is available. Are TUI really committed to EDI or just playing at it? (Yes IMHO) Crews are all GLA based right?
Sk1schoolsam is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2020, 00:14
  #1674 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by Sk1schoolsam View Post


SSH only starts in Nov2020 through to April 2021 when Naples then takes over the Monday slot through S21, according to their timetable on the website.
There seams to be a disconnect with what is being advertised and what is available. Are TUI really committed to EDI or just playing at it? (Yes IMHO) Crews are all GLA based right?
Yes thatís correct but NAP was originally available from May-October 2020 and was recently dropped (crews donít seem to have been informed as they are still promoting it onboard). No, Iím pretty sure EDI is a full year-round 738 crew base.
ROC10 is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2020, 16:40
  #1675 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 95
10 year challenge
Saw something similar done for another airport so have compared the change in route traffic numbers between September 2019 and 2009. Notably September 2009 was just prior to the closure of FlyGlobespan.

International
20 largest increases and decreases
2019 2009 Change
DUBLIN 56257 36567 19690
AMSTERDAM 61493 41999 19494
DUBAI 17422 0 17422
TENERIFE (SURREINA SOFIA) 19333 3604 15729
DOHA HAMAD 15362 0 15362
COPENHAGEN 20674 7382 13292
BARCELONA 16392 3680 12712
PALMA DE MALLORCA 32388 20884 11504
BALE MULHOUSE 11420 0 11420
HAMBURG 11042 169 10873
FARO 16615 6238 10377
BERLIN (TEGEL) 10215 0 10215
STOCKHOLM (ARLANDA) 11606 1702 9904
MADRID 18576 9198 9378
MUNICH 17781 8535 9246
PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL 9175 0 9175
CHICAGO (O'HARE) 8999 0 8999
MALAGA 21135 12282 8853
BRUSSELS 13782 4935 8847
PRAGUE 12938 4093 8845

AVIGNON 0 928 -928
POZNAN 3252 4199 -947
CARCASSONNE 2720 3717 -997
GALWAY 0 1472 -1472
HAUGESUND 0 1520 -1520
SHARM EL SHEIKH (OPHIRA) 0 1698 -1698
BRATISLAVA 3254 5274 -2020
STOCKHOLM (SKAVSTA) 2750 4884 -2134
LIMOGES 0 2220 -2220
POITIERS 0 2275 -2275
ZADAR 0 2511 -2511
LODZ LUBLINEK 0 2941 -2941
ALTENBURG - WALLBURG 0 3034 -3034
CAGLIARI (ELMAS) 0 3370 -3370
SHANNON 2864 7195 -4331
NIEDERRHEIN 4201 8631 -4430
HAHN 0 5376 -5376
MURCIA SAN JAVIER 0 5420 -5420
BREMEN 0 5856 -5856
NEW YORK (NEWARK) 9469 17591 -8122

Domestic to follow....
CKT789 is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2020, 16:43
  #1676 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 95
10 year challenge
Domestic

Some of the data on the CAA website looks strange (nothing for Belfast, Bristol or Birmingham) so I have just included those where there is data.

2019 2009 Change
LONDON CITY 45092 30052 15040
STANSTED 40589 32939 7650
GATWICK 61479 58079 3400
KIRKWALL 4771 3640 1131
SUMBURGH 4156 3129 1027
EXETER 5867 5720 147
ISLE OF MAN 779 1097 -318
LUTON 27499 27902 -403
JERSEY 2531 3023 -492
STORNOWAY 1718 2807 -1089
NORWICH 3327 4461 -1134
SOUTHAMPTON 15574 18028 -2454
MANCHESTER 9731 14119 -4388
HEATHROW 98924 116289 -17365
CKT789 is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2020, 16:48
  #1677 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,267
Originally Posted by CKT789 View Post
10 year challenge
Domestic

Some of the data on the CAA website looks strange (nothing for Belfast, Bristol or Birmingham) so I have just included those where there is data.

2019 2009 Change
LONDON CITY 45092 30052 15040
STANSTED 40589 32939 7650
GATWICK 61479 58079 3400
KIRKWALL 4771 3640 1131
SUMBURGH 4156 3129 1027
EXETER 5867 5720 147
ISLE OF MAN 779 1097 -318
LUTON 27499 27902 -403
JERSEY 2531 3023 -492
STORNOWAY 1718 2807 -1089
NORWICH 3327 4461 -1134
SOUTHAMPTON 15574 18028 -2454
MANCHESTER 9731 14119 -4388
HEATHROW 98924 116289 -17365
Does Cardiff not come under domestic then?
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2020, 16:59
  #1678 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 95
Cardiff had no data for 2009 (similar to Bristol, Birmingham and Belfast) so I left it out as I assumed it was a fault in the CAA data. 2019 figure was 10,386 passengers.
CKT789 is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2020, 17:25
  #1679 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,267
Originally Posted by CKT789 View Post
Cardiff had no data for 2009 (similar to Bristol, Birmingham and Belfast) so I left it out as I assumed it was a fault in the CAA data. 2019 figure was 10,386 passengers.
Is this a comparison of November 2019 versus November 2009? It was 13,280 for Cardiff, 20,167 for Bristol, 28,583 for Birmingham, 19,377 for Belfast international and 9509 for Belfast city those are 2009 numbers.
The numbers are from Domestic route analysis under the relevant airports section.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 16:47
  #1680 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Age: 50
Posts: 1,104
Whats this we hear of new route announcements from EDI this week... thought 'PlaneMad' would have been aaall over it?
VickersVicount is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.