Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Airlines, Airports & Routes
Reload this Page >

Aurigny Air Services-2

Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Aurigny Air Services-2

Old 11th Jun 2020, 10:13
  #401 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: IOM
Posts: 909
Originally Posted by globetrotter79 View Post
Can the E195 carry an economic payload the 3+ hours flying time off IOM runway up to KEF?
That, I do not know.

Flights up to KEF from IOM have happend before on E jets, so possibly.
JSCL is offline  
Old 13th Jun 2020, 07:27
  #402 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In the real world.
Posts: 544
I think we islanders need a shot of warm sunshine after all this virus cr*p, I doubt many will want to head to Iceland - stunning as it is.
I wonder if GR are looking at any souhern 'airbridges'?
Jerbourg is offline  
Old 13th Jun 2020, 08:21
  #403 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: IOM
Posts: 909
Originally Posted by Jerbourg View Post
I think we islanders need a shot of warm sunshine after all this virus cr*p, I doubt many will want to head to Iceland - stunning as it is.
I wonder if GR are looking at any souhern 'airbridges'?
Maltah as been touted. But I thinkt the biggest problems are;

1) Aurignys E195 performance from Guernsey's short runway. It's going to need to pass through - say Jersey - to also pick up additional passengers and we all know what relationships are like between the Islands down there...

2) It's OK Guernsey having a 'corridor' to say Malta. But if the UK has a corridor there as well for arguments sake, then it takes away the whole safety element of why the corridor exists in the first place.
JSCL is offline  
Old 13th Jun 2020, 11:18
  #404 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jersey
Age: 70
Posts: 1,238
Originally Posted by JSCL View Post
Maltah as been touted. But I thinkt the biggest problems are;

1) Aurignys E195 performance from Guernsey's short runway. It's going to need to pass through - say Jersey - to also pick up additional passengers and we all know what relationships are like between the Islands down there...

2) It's OK Guernsey having a 'corridor' to say Malta. But if the UK has a corridor there as well for arguments sake, then it takes away the whole safety element of why the corridor exists in the first place.
As a Guernseyman living in Jersey, I think that we can tolerate each other long enough to enjoy a bit of sunshine relief in the Med this summer ! Could be a good, workable idea.
kcockayne is offline  
Old 15th Jun 2020, 18:52
  #405 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Under Red One
Age: 72
Posts: 173
GCI webcam recently shows 3ATR (new ones?) on stand, jet and 2 Dornier ........does anyone know where LERE is?
Pete

Last edited by cobopete; 16th Jun 2020 at 14:07.
cobopete is offline  
Old 15th Jun 2020, 19:11
  #406 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 808
GR have done some sun routes before I believe and want to say it was a GCI-JER-MAH Menorca service on Saturdays. I don’t think it lasted particularly long though so maybe worth a second go now. If air fares are set to rise at all then flying from the Islands direct rather than connecting via London or the mainland may be a beneficial option.
Cloud1 is offline  
Old 15th Jun 2020, 19:21
  #407 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jersey
Age: 70
Posts: 1,238
Originally Posted by Cloud1 View Post
GR have done some sun routes before I believe and want to say it was a GCI-JER-MAH Menorca service on Saturdays. I don’t think it lasted particularly long though so maybe worth a second go now. If air fares are set to rise at all then flying from the Islands direct rather than connecting via London or the mainland may be a beneficial option.
You can bet your bottom dollar that, regardless of whatever happens to air fares, the fare for direct flights from the CIs to the Med’ will still be considerably more than flying via Gatwick etc. And, that is even after adding on 2 nights at the Premier Inn !
kcockayne is offline  
Old 15th Jun 2020, 19:40
  #408 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guernsey
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by cobopete View Post
GCI webcam recently shows 3ATR (new ones?)On stand, jet and 2 Dornier ........does anyone know where LERE is?
Pete
When they were playing round with HUET the other weekend before she went up to Aberdeen there was an ATR visible at the back of the hanger which I presume was LERE
KindaUnstuck is online now  
Old 15th Jun 2020, 20:00
  #409 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dorset
Posts: 277
2 nights at the Premier Inn
I thought it was the two "nights" at the Premier Inn being such a problem for many passengers which made the non-stop flights attractive almost regardless of fare?
Albert Hall is offline  
Old 15th Jun 2020, 20:34
  #410 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jersey
Age: 70
Posts: 1,238
Originally Posted by Albert Hall View Post
I thought it was the two "nights" at the Premier Inn being such a problem for many passengers which made the non-stop flights attractive almost regardless of fare?
Yes, that is true. But, for me, it is cynical exploitation on the part of the airlines to charge as much as they do to avoid this problem ! I won’t pay the premium, regardless. But , I understand the feelings of those who do. That is what makes me a “real” Guernseyman !

Last edited by kcockayne; 15th Jun 2020 at 20:36. Reason: Extra comment
kcockayne is offline  
Old 16th Jun 2020, 06:36
  #411 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 808
Originally Posted by kcockayne View Post
Yes, that is true. But, for me, it is cynical exploitation on the part of the airlines to charge as much as they do to avoid this problem ! I won’t pay the premium, regardless. But , I understand the feelings of those who do. That is what makes me a “real” Guernseyman !
Or just tight 😉

I often put a value on convenience and time saving so if it costs me more to do something but it is easier and less time consuming than the alternative then I will pay it.
Cloud1 is offline  
Old 16th Jun 2020, 06:54
  #412 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jersey
Age: 70
Posts: 1,238
Originally Posted by Cloud1 View Post
Or just tight 😉

I often put a value on convenience and time saving so if it costs me more to do something but it is easier and less time consuming than the alternative then I will pay it.
Yes. That is what a “real” Guernseyman is - & proud of it ! I sympathize with your viewpoint, but don’t ask me to ignore my genes.
kcockayne is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2020, 05:10
  #413 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: This side of Heaven
Posts: 322
GCI-IOM Air Bridge:

The Guernsey and Isle of Man governments have agreed to move forward with the planned air bridge , which is expected to be the first established by any governments in the British Isles.

It is planned that Aurigny will operate flights from mid-July for an initial six-week period. An Aurigny spokesperson said they were still firming up the details, but were hoping to operate twice weekly rotations. A full schedule should be released next week.

The decision to form an air bridge follows talks last week between the chief ministers of Guernsey and the Isle of Man, as well as both governments’ Public Health teams.
Gurnard is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2020, 06:50
  #414 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jersey
Age: 70
Posts: 1,238
Good luck to them - but it is not likely to help them reduce their £10m pound deficit for this year. Possibly, quite the opposite. You can always blame the “open skies policy” for their losses.
kcockayne is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2020, 10:03
  #415 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Nuweiba
Posts: 55
You could blame open skies - of you were sitting on the Aurigny management side of the fence. But an independent view might raise the various management mistakes made in recent years. The Trislander replacement. The choice of outright purchase of the E195 ( when the more cost efficient CS100 was around the corner ). The purchase of the three new ATRs. The long lease of G-HUET. The setting up of an own handling unit at Gatwick. Pricing strategies. The Blue Island code-share fiasco. The LCY route. Other non-profitable and non-essential routes such as Leeds Bradford, Norwich etc. The competition on the Southampton route, the U-turn on the Jersey route. Need I go on ?

The IoM route - from mid-July to end of August, on a twice weekly ATR rotation, could be actually profitable if the pricing is right and the right days of the week are selected.
Nuweiba is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2020, 17:37
  #416 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jersey
Age: 70
Posts: 1,238
Nuweiba, I completely agree with you. The blaming of the “Open Skies” was made very much tongue in cheek. The policy itself is almost a complete nonsense as, since it was introduced, hardly any new routes have opened up & AUR have not really faced much competition - apart from Heathrow, which was always going to be temporary. There simply are not airlines queuing up to operate flights to Guernsey - even with the prospect of a totally unnecessary longer runway. AUR’s problems result from bad management & the fact that they are a Guernsey based airline owned by the Guernsey Government, which values the security of air routes more than it values a profitable airline. AUR don’t have to worry, though. The States will continue to throw money at them.
kcockayne is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2020, 19:15
  #417 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In the real world.
Posts: 544
Originally Posted by Nuweiba View Post
You could blame open skies - of you were sitting on the Aurigny management side of the fence. But an independent view might raise the various management mistakes made in recent years. The Trislander replacement. The choice of outright purchase of the E195 ( when the more cost efficient CS100 was around the corner ). The purchase of the three new ATRs. The long lease of G-HUET. The setting up of an own handling unit at Gatwick. Pricing strategies. The Blue Island code-share fiasco. The LCY route. Other non-profitable and non-essential routes such as Leeds Bradford, Norwich etc. The competition on the Southampton route, the U-turn on the Jersey route. Need I go on ?

.
I think we could say two U turns on the JER route, initially they withdrew, then went back on & then pulled off again. The wrong aircraft was used on this sector, it should have been operated by a (mostly idle) 228 with maybe 2 flights a day in each direction instead of the 1 operated by the ATR.

I'd like to know how much the LGW handling operation costs to run compared to using a handling agent & as I type this I'm thinking the same for GCI too?

Mark Darby was on local radio this morning blaming open skies for Aurigny's losses, one wonders how much longer he can pull the wool over the Governments eyes to hide his (IMO) bad management..?
Jerbourg is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2020, 19:28
  #418 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In the real world.
Posts: 544
Originally Posted by Nuweiba View Post
You could blame open skies - of you were sitting on the Aurigny management side of the fence. But an independent view might raise the various management mistakes made in recent years. The Trislander replacement. The choice of outright purchase of the E195 ( when the more cost efficient CS100 was around the corner ). The purchase of the three new ATRs. The long lease of G-HUET. The setting up of an own handling unit at Gatwick. Pricing strategies. The Blue Island code-share fiasco. The LCY route. Other non-profitable and non-essential routes such as Leeds Bradford, Norwich etc. The competition on the Southampton route, the U-turn on the Jersey route. Need I go on ?

.
I think we could say two U turns on the JER route, initially they withdrew, then went back on & then pulled off again. The wrong aircraft was used on this sector, it should have been operated by a (mostly idle) 228 with maybe 2 flights a day in each direction instead of the 1 operated by the ATR.

I'd like to know how much the LGW handling operation costs to run compared to using a handling agent & as I type this I'm thinking the same for GCI too?

Mark Darby was on local radio this morning blaming open skies for Aurigny's losses, one wonders how much longer he can pull the wool over the Governments eyes to hide his (IMO) bad management..?

Jerbourg is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2020, 19:33
  #419 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: a rock near 50 North
Posts: 111
Blaming 'open skies' is a joke. Open skies arrived and rather than opening new routes Aurigny decided to go into head long competition on two existing routes operated by Blue Islands offering £19.99 fares. Insufficient traffic for two carriers. Sorry Aurigny but you only have yourself to blame for the losses. Also, the shareholders must share some of the blame for a total failure to provide any oversight into what Aurigny was up to. Time for change.
five zero by ortac is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2020, 19:37
  #420 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In the real world.
Posts: 544
I see they have applied (again) for 56 weekly slots at LHR for winter 2020/21
Jerbourg is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.